• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 242
  • Total: 242
  • Google
bhphotovideo
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Screen calibration

Started by Cathus, June 13, 2011, 11:47:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cathus

I have two monitors, Samsung & Belinea LCDs.

I'm not sure I'm understanding screen calibration correctly. I assumed that when I calibrated both screens they would end up with a similar display.

My Samsung seems to be much duller than I've had it until now & has a greenish tint to it & shows up the reds in colours quite vividly. My Belinea seems much brighter & whiter & more what my photos should look like

I'm struggling to understand where the calibration says reset brightness & contrast to defaults as I can;t see an settings on either screen to do this & the calibration software seems to be suggesting turning the brightness down quite low, but then when calibrated, keeps it really low.

Anyone got any tips or useful links?

anglefire

What do you have in the way of calibrator?

I had a heuy which asked those questions. Never did really get to see what they wanted. As long as I could see both ends of blacks and whites it seemed to work ok.

Make sure you set any in monitor profiles to standard.

----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Cathus

its a Spyder Pro 3, you've lost me already on 'in monitor profiles'

Beaux Reflets

I use QuickGamma that calibrates every time the PC fires up. Adobe have one in there software as well, so it may be worth just checking for any conflict in that or the monitor drivers. Immediate thought would be, reset the Samsung to factory setting and then reinstall it ? 
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Hinfrance

The monitor profile is what the Spyder software creates.

To adjust the monitor hardware there should be a menu button somewhere on the monitor itself, usually along with + and - or 'up' and 'down' buttons for changing the values. One of the menu options should be 'default' or 'factory reset' or something along those lines.

So have a fiddle with these buttons until you are happy with the brightness and contrast and then adjust the colour channels as required when the Spyder programme asks you to.

Good luck.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Cathus

Ok, if I press the 'reset'setting, it immediately increases the whiteness & brightness to something that looks good to me. When I calibrate, Spyder tells me to turn the brightness down & then does it's stuff & makes the screen really dull & green/red tinted.

I can't see a setting on my other screen for reset, there is one called 'recall' but this doesn't appear to have any effect

Hinfrance

I am at a loss then. Have you tried ignoring the instruction to turn the B&C down?

I've got a Spyder 2 so it's probably not as sophisticated (read bossy).
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.