• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 102
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 80
  • Total: 80
photobox
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Fast Prime

Started by michaelb104, April 02, 2012, 02:28:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

michaelb104

I keep reading that you should have a fast prime lens (50mm ish) in your kit bag.

I can pick up a Sony A mount for about £100 which is not bank breaking but is it worth the money if I won't use it  ???

Do you have any primes and how often do you use them or do they just sit in your kit bag?
Mike

My Flickr   .   My Fluidr

donoreo

I have a Canon 50 mm f/1.8 and I use it fairly often.   In fact I once went for a month ONLY taking photos with it.  I used it as a challenge to myself to view things differently.  The wide aperture is very handy to have, especially for low light and it makes a great portrait lens.   

jinky

I`ve been trying to make myself shoot more with my 50 and 85 mm 1.8 lenses more - especially on the odd paid shoot and they are so fast and useful. That said - it`s having the time to change sometimes and wide open my 50mm can be a little harsh with the bokeh sometimes. I prefer the bokeh on my 24-70 and 70-200 at 2.8 if I am honest just now. That siad - for speed in low light situations the 50mm is great. I`m trying to decide whether to buy a 1.4 50mm which is supposed to be softer - any views on that one too to save another thread opening but do answer Michael`s query too first.

Hinfrance

I've got a 50mm f1.4, which is an excellent lens . . which I hardly use. And a 35mm f2.4 (which on an APSC camera is close to 50mm on a 35mm film camera) which is also super sharp, and which I use a little more. If I'm honest the 17-50mm f2.8 Tamron is almost permanently attached to my K5, and the Tamron 90mm f2.8 to my K20D.

But as you say, a useful thing to have, and not too expensive for your system, so I'd say get one. If you don't like it, stick it on eBay and you'll get most of your money back anyway.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Alfonso_Frisk

I also have the Nik F1.4 50mm. Its does not get used much at all now compared to when I first got it. Its a cracking lens and IQ sharp throughout. Will be giving it another run out soon as I am doing some tests with the newly acquired Fuji S5 pro and all my lenses.
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

Oldboy

I've got the Nikon 50mm F1.4, Nikon 60mm F2.8 Macro, Nikon 105mm F2.8 VR Macro, 300mm F4 and 400mm F2.8 which, are all primes.  :tup:

Cathus

My Canon 1.8 stayed in the cupboard for just about 3 yrs after I bought my 5D MkII, however, I used it for the first time a few weeks ago and was stunned at the results. I've been using it more since then, it is a great little lens for the price.

nickt

I use both my 35mm f/1.8 and 50mm f/1.4 and love them, especially when used wide open.
Nick

jinky

Low light capabilities aside would it be worth investing in the 1.4 and selling the 1.8 nikon 50mm thos ethat have used them. Is the bokeh softer?

Markulous

Everyone suggested that I'd need a 50mm, so I got a s/h one off fleaBay - never used it beyond testing as I use 105 or 70-200 (occasionally 300) for portraits and shoots - 15-85 for studio
Whatever and ever. Amen
http://smg.photobucket.com/home/Markulous/index
Mark @ Photobucket

michaelb104

Thanks for all the replies and advice, I might just go and find a SH one on fleebay and see how I get on  :)
Mike

My Flickr   .   My Fluidr

Jonathan

50 prime is a standard largely because it's (relatively) so cheap and a lot of quality for your money.

If you think about it, it's going to be one of the most boring lenses you can buy.  It's "somewhat similar" to human vision.  A 24 mm prime will give you a wider view and of course a 100mm will compress stuff.

I like my 105 DC a lot.  I have a couple of 50s but can't get too excited about them.

@Jinky - which 50 1.4?  If it's a Nikon then there are 2 or 3 and all have different quirks.
It's Guest's round

Graham

I have a Nikon 50 1.4 (New version) and an 85 1.4 (Old version) and it's fair to say they don't get a lot of use.
  When I do use them though, there's nothing to beat them for quality, speed and discreetness (That is a word...I looked it up!)
  Here's a few I took on St Patrick's night with some mates down the local, with the 50 on a d700.
  Most were taken STOPPED DOWN to 2.0 or 2.8

And the last one is Four or five stitched together.

Graham. :)
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Graham

Oh and some more pics with the same lens/camera can be found here.
               http://cameracraniums.com/forum/index.php?topic=2247.msg25594#msg25594
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

jinky

Quote from: Jonathan on April 03, 2012, 02:20:24 PM
50 prime is a standard largely because it's (relatively) so cheap and a lot of quality for your money.

If you think about it, it's going to be one of the most boring lenses you can buy.  It's "somewhat similar" to human vision.  A 24 mm prime will give you a wider view and of course a 100mm will compress stuff.

I like my 105 DC a lot.  I have a couple of 50s but can't get too excited about them.

@Jinky - which 50 1.4?  If it's a Nikon then there are 2 or 3 and all have different quirks.

It`s the Nikon 1.4 G just under £300 and I`m thinking just now `ll not bother but as I said trying to make myself shoot some portraits at the weekend wide open I was loeft with some really harsh bokeh with my 1.8 at apwrtures up to f2 and wonderiung if it would be softer as claimed. Read reviews that tell me don`t bother but everyone who has one seems to talk highly of it. What do you mean by 105 DC?

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.