• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 224
  • Total: 224
Wish
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Live Bands

Started by skellum, September 07, 2009, 12:41:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skellum

I am photographing a Rock Band next Saturday which is something new to me so any tips or ideas would be welcome, I know Orgie has experience of this so any suggestions would be appreciated.   Thanks,   Dave...... :legit:

oRGie

I doubt I could tell you anything you dont know allready Dave ;)  its all common sense and with the experience you have it should be a breeze..

a nifty fifty is often mentioned for the 1.8 or wider if you have it, but personelly I prefer a zoom. Last time I was using an 18-200is and I liked what that did even with it only being 3.5 at the wide end with is and 400 - 800 iso it was fine and gave me flexibility.

if you have time, more than just the first 3 songs, then some wide angle shots 24 ish looking up at the stage work well and some with a fifty ish and a few close up with a zoom, then you will be covered with some varied styles of shot.

as long as there are some stage lights that wont be a problem, you will quickly pick up on what the lighting guy is doing as they tend to repeat the light pattern to the rythmn.

As your in the uk, watch out for coming in from the cold to a hot steamy venue, arrive in time and get your kit out of the bag so it warms up to avoid steamy lenses.

Fill flash can help of course, but as it puts bands off a bit I avoid it and rarely use a flash, but check the lights if you can and see if there are any floor lights or lights facing the band so you know you will get some good shots, sometimes the lights are all overhead or even worse all at the back, then you really will need a some flash.

bring a friend to hold your beer :)

If I think of anything else I will post again..  what sort of venue, how big  ?

edit: just thought of something, think of it a bit like a wedding, in advance work out what shots you want to get, group shots, individual members, instruments etc and if you can coming on stage and leaving the stage..

Graham

Hi Dave. 
             I do quite a lot of this kind of thing.
             I've just had a quick sniff around your web site and you clearly need no advise on how to use a camera.
             What kind of venue is it (Pub, club, theatre etc.), will there be a raised stage and what will the lighting be like?
                            Graham.             
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

skellum

Thanks Orgie & Graham,
The Band are playing in a Large pub, I have seen them play before and they have all the usuall different coloured lights on & off ect. I can borrow jim the trains nifty fifty and I have my own 70-200 f2.8 so that will be my set up with hopefully ISO between 400 & 800. 1600 might be a bit rough edged for printing but then again its only for promotional flyers.

Thanks again,  Dave....... :legit:

Graham

First thoughts.
                      Shoot raw, deal with the white balance later.
                      Dont stand in front of the singist, the mike' will make it look as though he's eating a toffee apple!
                      Its going to be lively, you'll need a shutter speed of at least 125th so....
                      Don't worry about high ISO noise, it's only like turning the gain up on an amp! (And you know how rock bands like that!).
                      Iv'e deleted hundreds of pics (well two at least.) because of motion blur, Iv'e deleted none because they were too noisy.
                      I suspect the 70-200 will be a bit long (physically and optically) for a pub.
                                           Graham. :)

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

minky_monkey

Keep an eye on your gear!  I know a tog who had his stuff nicked when it was 15 feet behind him at a wedding!

And watch out for drunk people with beer in their hands!

WCB

Purely by coincidence I found and read this old thread this morning and thought it might be of interest now I've seen your post

http://www.scottkelby.com/blog/2008/archives/2063

Three Songs No Flash

HTH

PS Must learn to do linky thingy properly :-)

CML-1591

look at, http://ishootshows.com loads of tips and tricks and loads of good images too.
Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment. - Ansel Adams,

skellum

Thanks for all the imput & suggestions. I am going to treat it as a evening football match ( bad lighting = high ISO ) but keep the shutter to single shots ( Well they won't be runing about with a ball ! ) I have just had a word with the band and asked them not to make eye contact with the lens.
Thanks again & I will hopefully post some pics here tomorrow...........Dave..... :legit:

skellum

Well here are some shots. It was quite tricky with all the changing light and colours and confined space and the drummer was the hardest to get a clear shot of. I shall have another go when they are at a larger venue. I'll get the hang of it eventually. :legit:

skellum

Thought I would of had some feedback from Orgie or Graham on this........... At the very least its not dogs and ducks on the front page  :'(. :legit:

oRGie

lol, like I said Dave, i didnt expect this to phase you. The shots are good and pubs are allways hard, not much space, weak lights, no drum riser, although if there is a riser it usually means a smoke machine too and for some reason they allways seem to be sat just behind the drummer :)  bet the band are pleased to have some nice photos..

Graham

Sorry Dave, only just seen them :-[.   
             Anyway. (And please be aware that I get very nervous when commenting on other's work!) I think you've done a good job within the constraints of a "Pub Gig".
             Exposure, focusing and so on is good but as I said earlyer I was kind of expecting that from you ;). What makes them stand out from your pub goers "Oh there's a band, I'll take some pics" shots is that you've obviously waited for the pose/expression you wanted.
             With the first two you've got good clean shots with nothing between you and your subject. The second two, you've got the pose and the expresion but there are distractions i.e the guitar and the mike stand (I'm sure your aware of this). I'll bet your thinking "Bloody hell I was in a buisy pub and could'nt move!" and you'd be right, pub gigs are notoriously difficult, If you'd held off for the guitarist to get out of the way you would have missed the drummers expression. With the last one could you have taken a quick step to the left to loose the mike'?
             As I said, pub gigs.....difficult.......very difficult!
                                     Graham. :tup:               

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

skellum

Thanks for the comments,  Live bands are not an easy subject to photograph as you both know but its another experience under my belt and I will do it again............ :legit:

Oldboy

Quote from: skellum ( Dave ) on September 15, 2009, 12:39:52 PM
Thanks for the comments,  Live bands are not an easy subject to photograph as you both know but its another experience under my belt and I will do it again............ :legit:

Yes, but did you enjoy the challenge, as that's what it's all about.  ;D

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.