• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 242
  • Total: 242
  • Google
7ds
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Video??

Started by michaelb104, August 19, 2010, 01:35:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

michaelb104

I'm guessing this has been asked a million times before but I'm asking again, just how many of us non journalist types want video on our camera.  I haven't got video on my camera, if I had I cannot think of a time I'd ever have used it.

If you have video do you ever use it?

Mike.
Mike

My Flickr   .   My Fluidr

picsfor

My camera comes with video but i've never used it.

I must give it a try at some point, cos it's supposed to be rather good on the 5D MkII

Jonathan

Only used it once so far but I kind of like it.

Shot handheld at 3,200 ISO and unedited....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-zEkaqxWU8
It's Guest's round

Graham

Quote from: Jonathan on August 19, 2010, 05:26:46 PM
Only used it once so far but I kind of like it.

Shot handheld at 3,200 ISO and unedited....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-zEkaqxWU8

Was that you at the end shouting "CUT" ?....Go on, it was was'nt it! :D
                        Graham.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

krennon

Haven't got it and wouldn't use it if I did, my old Fuji S6500fd bridge camera had video capture and I never used it once. The Sony A350 doesn't have it and if it did I wouldn't use it, I actually have a JVC Everio camcorder that is really good if I want video capture but my missus tends to use that when we go to Monkey World and she uses it for work as well.

I prefer stills but I guess it's a personal thing. To digress slightly I would prefer the manufacturers to put things like horizon levels and lower ISO say down to about 50 ISO for when you're shooting in bright conditions...rather than video capture.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/keithfransella/

"Everything in moderation including moderation" Oscar Wilde

ABERS

Don't know if I've got it or not. Must have a look sometime.

Mick

I'd prefer it if they concentrated their efforts on improving the camera rather than farting around with video.  Now when you want to buy a stills camera you're paying for the video technology as well. 

If I want video I'll buy a video camera, again hoping all the effort went into video than making it capture good stills.  ;)
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

michaelb104

So from the replies it would seem that us stills photographers really do not want video on our cameras but would prefer enhanced still photograph options.

Then I guess the next question to ask is, who the hell is doing their customer requirements gathering (couldn't think of the right term)??

Oh, wait, I think it may have come to me as I'm typing this, maybe we are not in the right demographic, are all these new DSLR's are being aimed at the FaceTwit generation so they can create their viral videos to upload to Your Tube (I'm using words here that I have no idea what they mean).

And another question, what is a viral video???
Mike

My Flickr   .   My Fluidr

Jonathan

Quote from: Graham on August 19, 2010, 06:10:53 PM
Was that you at the end shouting "CUT" ?....Go on, it was was'nt it! :D

Nope.  That was the video producer :D

QuoteThen I guess the next question to ask is, who the hell is doing their customer requirements gathering

I guess it's worth remembering that the better the camera, the fewer are sold.  World-wide sales of a medium format digital camera in its entire life can be c 2,500.  The big firms sell some cameras to pros - they sell a lot of cameras to consumers.

And video is not only a "new" feature, it has numbers you can attach to it.  640x480, HD, true HD, 24 fps, 30 fps.  Numbers are an advertiser's dream.  It's a LOT easier to say "this camera is better than that because it has full HD video" than "this camera is better than that because, erm, the pictures look better".

I wouldn't buy a camera for video - but now I've got it I'll be playing.

Incidentally, I saw an interesting debate about "full HD" video.  There have been rumours circulating for a while that and camera that can shoot HD will be banned from premier league games at the "request" os Sky.  Funny that Nikons don't shoot HD and Canons do.....
It's Guest's round

Graham

Just out of interest, here's a video of the John Otway Big Band shot on a Canon 5Dmk2.
 (Any guitar fans watch for the sustained note at 2.13)  
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhirhLwEU7w
                  Graham.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

CML-1591

Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment. - Ansel Adams,

picsfor

Quote from: CML-1591 on August 20, 2010, 11:26:18 PM
-pretty good when you whack a macro and tubes on a 5D II

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQBnNIQ2Ovk&feature=related

Not sure that was the best example...

I've seen much better, but it has prompted me to get the manual out again and have a look at how you capture video on the 5D2 - and i have to perform an upgrade to the software as well apparently..

CML-1591

Quote from: picsfor on August 21, 2010, 08:47:39 AM
Quote from: CML-1591 on August 20, 2010, 11:26:18 PM
-pretty good when you whack a macro and tubes on a 5D II

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQBnNIQ2Ovk&feature=related

Not sure that was the best example...

Yeah probably but hey it's an example non the less and with an old firmware on the uni camera that they cbb to update or w.e
Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment. - Ansel Adams,

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.