• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 158
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 142
  • Total: 142
7ds
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Help - deleting a network

Started by jinky, November 01, 2012, 10:56:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jinky

Bit embarrassed to ask this but whilst clicking on my recycle bin to empty the trash I happened to  glance down the left side of my screen and noticed under Network that apart from my own there was another called "SEXMACHINE". Now I have had this PC from new and know little of creating networks but am sure I did not create that one. I`ve tried right clicking on it to delete it and even clicking to open it which it would not let me do. I am thinking maybe I `ve been accessed remotely but know nothing about that area. I`ve not had any problems lately other than one flickr contact saying they had been sent an email perporting to be from me a couple of weeks back which wasn't. Waiting for details of which of my email addresses it claimed to be from as I have a gmail and an NTL world one.

Can anyone advise how I get rid of that network. I`ve highlighted it and hit delete / tried dragging it to bin etc but cannot get rid. Total mystery how it got there and is now worrying me. :-[

Oldboy

Right click on the start button and select explore. This will list all the folders on your machine. Select the network folder and click on the arrow head to expand it. Select the Sexmachine folder and delete it, which will send it to the recycle bin. Open the recycle bin and click on the empty recycle bin button. It should now be gone.  :tup:

jinky

When I right click on start (windows 7) I get a choice of "properties" or "open windows explorer". When I click on WE it just opens my libraries on the right and my list  showing favourites, libraries homegroup, networks on the left with no detailed folders. If I clcik into networks and right click on the offending network it gives me no option to delete or move it to recycle bin. Got me puzzled

Oldboy

Haven't got Windows 7.

Go to Start menu and select Control Panel and then select Network and Sharing Centre. Try to delete it from there. You may need to be logged on as Admin to see/do this. If that doesn't work then type this question, How to Delete Folder, into the help and support search help screen.  :tup:

jinky

Could not do any of that and now I am getting worried. Suddenly the network alongside mine that was called SEXMACHINE has gone. The only trouble is there is another there in it`s stead now called "Netbook".If I expand that I am asked to enter a Network Password and a user name and password which I obviously don`t have. It says it is in the domain of PBYPD which is my network name. As far as I know I am in a home network connected by ethernet cable to my Virgin media provider. Anyone explain this? Could it just be other networks using Virgin in the area as obviously I cannot get onto their network and I assume they cannot get onto mine. I have password encrypted access to wifi but cannot remember if I had to type this in when I plugged in the ethernet cable. :doh: :-\

:D I think I have sorted it out. I just checked and my wife was on her netbook downstairs on the wifi connection and when I expanded netbook it showed as Sue - so that is her. I now suspect that my daughter was using her laptop earlier and has seemingly called her laptop "SEXMACHINE" so panic over. Thanks for trying to help oldboy - just too many grey areas in computing for me. :uglystupid2:

Matthew

Can be scary stuff when you don't know what's going on. RE: Your Flickr contact that received a false email from you, Tammy (my Missus) asked me today if I sent her an email as there was one from me in her inbox. Thankfully she didn't open it as I have never sent an email to her in my life. I did hear similar problems over social networking sites.....a contact of mine reportedly received an email from myself, which was impossible as I don't know their email address.

Glad you got your Network mystery solved. :tup:
Never argue with a stupid person, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Reinardina

Paul, I wonder what your daughter will think, now we all know, how she has named her laptop!

Email addresses are regularly hijacked. One of mine was used some years ago, to try to sell cheap Chinese electronic goods.
Very annoying when that happens, as there are always people who do not realise it is spam. Or worse.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Oldboy

Quote from: jinky on November 01, 2012, 05:33:04 PM
Could not do any of that and now I am getting worried. Suddenly the network alongside mine that was called SEXMACHINE has gone. The only trouble is there is another there in it`s stead now called "Netbook".If I expand that I am asked to enter a Network Password and a user name and password which I obviously don`t have. It says it is in the domain of PBYPD which is my network name. As far as I know I am in a home network connected by ethernet cable to my Virgin media provider. Anyone explain this? Could it just be other networks using Virgin in the area as obviously I cannot get onto their network and I assume they cannot get onto mine. I have password encrypted access to wifi but cannot remember if I had to type this in when I plugged in the ethernet cable. :doh: :-\

:D I think I have sorted it out. I just checked and my wife was on her netbook downstairs on the wifi connection and when I expanded netbook it showed as Sue - so that is her. I now suspect that my daughter was using her laptop earlier and has seemingly called her laptop "SEXMACHINE" so panic over. Thanks for trying to help oldboy - just too many grey areas in computing for me. :uglystupid2:

Now that explains everything.  :doh:

Didn't know you had others connected on your network otherwise, might have realized this was a possibility.  :uglystupid2:

jinky

Sorry oldboy - trouble is I know so little about computers I don`t know what information people need to help me  :D

Oldboy

Quote from: jinky on November 02, 2012, 06:57:13 AM
Sorry oldboy - trouble is I know so little about computers I don`t know what information people need to help me  :D

Not a problem.  8)

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.