• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 203
  • Total: 203
millets
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Chat Thread for Weekly Competition 16th - 22nd September 2013. "The Tree"

Started by SimonW, September 15, 2013, 07:09:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonW

Chat Thread for Weekly Competition 16th - 22nd September 2013. "The Tree"

The theme for this week's comp is "The Tree"

Let's get a little fresh air and exercise this time, and shoot some nice landscapes or cityscapes, with the main point of interest being a single tree.

Post processing restricted to cropping, adjusting exposure, saturation, and contrast. Dodge and burn if you must, but no use of clone brush, copy/paste etc.

Pictures to be taken between 00.01am Monday 16th September to 23:59pm Sunday 22nd September 2013.
Pictures to be posted in the entries thread no later than 23.59pm Monday 23rd September 2013.
Poll will be up Tuesday 24th until Friday 27th September.
Winner to be announced Saturday 28th September.

The Rules for the weekly competition are:-

By entering you agree to take responsibility to:
post a topic on the Sunday following your declared win
create an entries thread
create a chat thread
create a poll for that weeks comp and declare the winner on the Saturday
(if for any reason there is a problem and no subject is posted by the winner by Monday night admin will advise second place winner to post the topic asap, do the poll etc)

In case of a tie, the first entry posted wins.

photos to be taken during the specified dates, ie Monday xx to Sunday xx

pictures to be posted in the entries thread no later than 23.59 Monday night
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Oldboy

I love trees and always have. I love been in a forest so, this is right up my street.  :tup:

ABERS

"I don't believe a tree is a tree and if you've seen one you've seen them all."
--Governor Ronald Reagan, in the Sacramento Bee, September 14, 1966

:legit:

Reinardina

Trees galore where I live, at least on the Common, which is on my doorstep. We have some good local parks too.
A cityscape or street scene will be a problem, as I can 'at first thought' (or whatever the expression is) not remember a single noteworthy tree in our urban environment.
Funny, how you need a competition to realise that!

As we have had unlimited scope, to use pp in almost all of the recent competitions, I think it's probably worthwhile to flag up the restrictions, as it might be tempting (or even be an automatic process) to 'litter pick' in certain situations. Especially in urban shots.

So here goes:

???  Check out post processing restrictions!   ???

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

ABERS

Post processing restricted to cropping, adjusting exposure, saturation, and contrast. Dodge and burn if you must, but no use of clone brush, copy/paste etc.

Look forward to some nice Chocolate Box pictures then! :legit:

Reinardina

Quote from: ABERS on September 16, 2013, 08:36:14 AM

The wild and lonely tree (I can hear Fraser say this!), does not have to be chocolate boxy surely?

ABERS

Quote from: Reinardina on September 16, 2013, 09:20:34 AM
Quote from: ABERS on September 16, 2013, 08:36:14 AM

The wild and lonely tree (I can hear Fraser say this!), does not have to be chocolate boxy surely?

Perhaps a little bit hasty, just reaction to the limitations on creativity.

DigiDiva

I think that if 20 photographers took a picture of the same tree, each image would be different in style, composition etc.
Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

ABERS

Had a little walkabout yesterday while the car was in for service.

Trees at this time of year are still in full leaf and the density of the foliage, unless you're lucky with the light, tends to detract from any attempt to find a decent image. Well that's my experience from yesterday. It will all be different in a few weeks time when Autumn gets a grip of things, now there's a well worn subject 'Autumn'. ;)

Here's one I ended up with, nice and chocolate boxey. ::) I've got another one that I'm pleased with and needs some further work doing on it.

Just a quick question, do shoe trees count?  ???

SimonW

Hi Abers, A lot of my local trees are already looking very autumnal, but I guess I'm a bit further north than most of us. So although my first thought for this challenge had an autumn theme I decided it was probably too early for most folk. So thank you for confirming that.
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Reinardina

Quote from: ABERS on September 19, 2013, 08:31:47 AM
Had a little walkabout yesterday while the car was in for service.

Trees at this time of year are still in full leaf and the density of the foliage, unless you're lucky with the light, tends to detract from any attempt to find a decent image. Well that's my experience from yesterday. It will all be different in a few weeks time when Autumn gets a grip of things, now there's a well worn subject 'Autumn'. ;)

Here's one I ended up with, nice and chocolate boxey. ::) I've got another one that I'm pleased with and needs some further work doing on it.

Just a quick question, do shoe trees count?  ???

Funny chocolate boxes you've got over there Alan.

Thank goodness I went out on Monday morning to explore the Common for a suitable tree. It has rained every day since!

With all the trees still in leaf, it was difficult to find one to take 'centre stage.' Had to concentrate on dead ones.
Took quite a few shots, but I'm afraid, they may be chocolate boxy Alan. (Especially after you called yours that!)
So I am 'playing around' (or 'being creative') with some of them.

Normally, people can interpret the theme the way they want, so I suppose a shoe, or mug tree should be okay.
It's up to the voters, to decide whether or not to vote for the alternative version.

Reinardina

I have several tree shots, for several different competitions and I'm getting rather snarled up in them.

If I don't get 'rid' of one, I get totally lost. So here is my entry for this competition.

Is it a chocolate box picture Alan?
I suppose you will think so, but I don't think dead trees will sell many chocolates.

Southampton Common

Reinardina

DigiDiva

Had fun today out looking for my tree shot. Im a post processing so will post it tomorrow
Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.