• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 51
  • Total: 51
wex
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Nik effects software and Google !!!!!

Started by jinky, November 01, 2013, 11:09:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jinky

So Google take over an excellent bit of software and then butcher it and your other software to boot!!
Had trouble last night and this morning with Photoshop CS6. Failing to open due to a missing file. Useless at PC issues so try a few things without any effect. I now find Google have done an update - no checking with users whether they wanted it, just updated last night. This is what is causing the problem for its many users. The guide to download the free trial they gave at least restores Nik effects to the filter list from where it had gone missing. Only trouble is when you open them and try to apply / click OK CS6 crashes!!! Logged a complaint and request to sort it urgently and they say it will take 2 days to reply as they are busy with new software. I am guessing they are fixing this update. How can they update without reference to me - everyone is going mad. Funnily though some say the free trial download fixes it - unless they have settled for seeing them in the list and not used them yet. Just this second got an email from Google explaining the problem and supposed solution - anyone else affected?

Hinfrance

I got that error this morning too (with Elements, obviously, CS6 is like first class air travel to me, I know it exists, but I have no reasonable expectation of ever experiencing it ;) ), but as I am busy with music stuff I didn't bother to try to find out where the problem originated.

Any chance of sharing the solution?
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

jinky

I will do when I get one. Basically they say visit here: http://www.google.com/nikcollection/

and hit the free trial download - I discovered that is the try now button at the top cos when you follow the free trial button elsewhere you go in circles. Make sure elements etc is closed, download and run and they say ( and some seem to agree) that it works. I certainly am able to open CS 6 now and can actually see Nik effects filters in the list and click on them. Only trouble is when I use one and click OK to apply it CS crashes and has to close. I`ve emailed them and they say they will get back in 2 days. Thank god I`d finished my wedding editing from last weekend just before they did the update or I`d be wanting blood - still am really Google  :uglystupid2:

Be interested to know if yours works fully when you do it.

Only got CS6 cos my wife was good enough to buy the Education version as she needed it all the time at work ;)

Hinfrance

Just downloading it now - I'll let you know what happens.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Hinfrance

OK, that works, in Elements anyway. They've added another module - Analog(ue) Effex Pro.

Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

hssutton

Quote from: jinky on November 01, 2013, 11:09:51 AM
So Google take over an excellent bit of software and then butcher it and your other software to boot!!
Had trouble last night and this morning with Photoshop CS6. Failing to open due to a missing file. Useless at PC issues so try a few things without any effect. I now find Google have done an update - no checking with users whether they wanted it, just updated last night. This is what is causing the problem for its many users. The guide to download the free trial they gave at least restores Nik effects to the filter list from where it had gone missing. Only trouble is when you open them and try to apply / click OK CS6 crashes!!! Logged a complaint and request to sort it urgently and they say it will take 2 days to reply as they are busy with new software. I am guessing they are fixing this update. How can they update without reference to me - everyone is going mad. Funnily though some say the free trial download fixes it - unless they have settled for seeing them in the list and not used them yet. Just this second got an email from Google explaining the problem and supposed solution - anyone else affected?

Have just switched on my PC and opened CS6 and yes the update is there, in my case all is working perfectly. After a quick play with Analogue Effex Pro I doubt I'll find a use for it. Was using Photoshop and Effex Pro last evening, so the update must have taken place this morning when I switched on.

Harry

jinky

I`ve just downloaded and installed for 3rd time and only pro sharpener works - all the rest crash the system. A few guys having the same issue. I`m windows 7 CS6. Guess I`ll have to wait 2 days for them to get back to me!

Hinfrance

I'm using W7 64bit, if that's any help. Don't suppose it is.  :-\
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

donoreo

Beryl

If you are having trouble with PS ets Nikon NX capture 2 is very good and can do quite a lot like PS can

I wonder if the problem is because of the hack?

It's exspencive
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Nikon+NX+Capture+2&newwindow=1&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=2-VzUqyCBuPS0QW4zIGACw&ved=0CEkQsxg&biw=1131&bih=782
A true friend is the best possession

My Web site
http://berylladd.com/
Oh . And thanks for looking in

hssutton

Quote from: Hinfrance on November 01, 2013, 04:35:17 PM
I'm using W7 64bit, if that's any help. Don't suppose it is.  :-\

I'm also using W7 64 bit, as mentioned earlier no problems.

Harry

jinky

I`ve already got NX2 and use it for some work but prefer lightroom and CS6. CS6 is worki ng fine - it`s just the damn plug ins from Nik. I`m windows 6 64  too.A few guys on the Nik response  board are having the same issue - only Pro Sharpener is working.

jinky

Finally got a personalised response from Google after bombing their board with indignation / requests for urgent response. They gave me 3 options

1. Updating my video card through makers. Told me there was a better driver which I tried to download but got this message in the image

Is it wise to update my card if I could or will it mess other stuff up? How can I get past this message? Bought the PC from Dell - out of support time but do you think they would help?

2. Get into settings of Nik software and disable partial gpu processing ?????. Tried it - didn`t work

3. Running the non-working Nik Software elements in safe mode. They supplied me with code I went into local folders and cfg files  and inserted the safe mode code.

All work now except the HDR one which just freezes when I hit OK to convert the image with the filter. Is the HDR filter any good - to be honest I do so few and use Photomatix when I do anyway. I am just hoping that adding the safe mode to the non-working filters will affect anything else on my pc.

Any thoughts - advice on above?

Oldboy

Parse error - syntax error - an error of language resulting from code that does not conform to the syntax of the programming language; "syntax errors can be recognized at compilation time"; "a common syntax error is to omit a parenthesis"

This can be caused by a corrupt file that may be truncated. To confirm you need to go into the Event Viewer and check out the error message. When you find the name of the file copy the name into an on-line search which, will give you information on dealing with the file. Some can be updated/replaced, whilst others, may need deleting first before installing a fresh copy of the file.  :o

jinky

Ah OK he says not understanding a word) I`ll leave that then. I live my the motto if it isn`t broken don`t fix it and am managing just now so will leave it alone. I am assuming the changes I have made are within the Nik software elements only and will not affect anything else so that`ll be an end to it.

Been wondering what google have been up to this week. My IE 9 has been failing the last few days. I usually open it straight onto my googlemail page. Last 5 days or so it has been hanging and eventually opening at an MSN general page. Thought it was an IE issue and been changing over to firefox. Suddenly today IE 9 is working normally and opening at gmail fully. :uglystupid2:

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.