• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 249
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 63
  • Total: 63
Wish
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

So, how much has changed?

Started by Carlj, September 03, 2016, 08:33:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carlj

In my reintroduction post, I made a few points about my photography. I'd like to say I'm producing some of my best work now but more importantly, I've rediscovered my photo mojo.

I think I started to become a little lost until I discovered the A55, and it's cute little translucent mirror, fast fps and evf. I struggle to use it now, with the A77 taking all the features and making them degrees better. Seeing shots change as you change the settings is refreshing, no chimping after each shot. But the beggar weighs heavy with a 2.8 lens. And flash, triggers, reflectors etc.

So I found the A6000, at half what I paid for the A77, with the A77ii sensor on board. What the heck, I'll have a look and dropped on one. I rediscovered the fun factor again!. Despite it's small size, shooting speed, af and iq are more than a match for the A77 yet fits in the palm of my hand. Needed a portrait lens, can't afford some of the zooms, so bought the Sigma 60mm f2.8 DN Art. Boy, is it sharp. Most all of my portraits now are shot on this set up. Need to adjust the light? I've added a Godox TT685s and X1T-s for £125. HSS and off camera for less than a pocketwizard. Any make user should check them out - fantastic bargain buy and 100% reliable.

That's me. What have you lot been up to?

Carl

anglefire

Hi Carl,

One of my loves is motorsport photography - though I don't have time to do as much as I would like- and the changes in the "rules" have meant getting access to places is a lot harder - one event that I've been photographing for years I can no longer do properly as its non spectator - so I'm not allowed on the infield as I'm not a licenced media tog. But I did get to the Le Mans Classic this year and although the same restrictions apply, did get some nice shots.

I have also changed cameras - though not gone your route - I can't remember off hand when you were on here last, but I've gone from (All Canon) 350D, 5D, 1d Mk3, 1Dx - and several lenses - latest additions being the 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS Mk2 and the very latest the 135f2. Both awesome lens - both used at Le Mans - the latter late at night when it was very dark - superb lens for night time sports!

But I do enjoy all forms of photography to a greater or lesser extent but do go through phases even then of not taking many shots.
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Carlj

Cheers Mark!

I believe last time I was active I was rocking the a200/300 and thinking of the A55. It's been that long.

I still use the A77 with Tamron 70-300mm SP USD, but mainly at airshows. Did a job at a show jumping event too. And when I'm shooting outdoor concerts it's a wonderful combination. The A6000 was an experiment as I'm 100% going full frame when the A77 retires. The question I had in my head was, do I stay A-mount (A99 or replacement) or E-mount (A7 to A7r2) and for that reason I bought the A6000. I must admit it's a revelation. Once used to it's operationaly quirks, it is a brilliant bit of kit to work with.

What surprised me more was the Sigma 60mm f2.8 Art. £125 and sharp wide open - perfect for portraits. And for a similar price I got the Godox tt685/X1Ts combo - anyone interested in trying off camera flash will do a lot worse than dropping the cash for this.

I'll try my hand at many subjects, but for the moment, it's portraits that get my creative juices up and running!

Carl

anglefire

That was one reason I bought the 135 (2nd hand as are most of my lenses!) - superb as a portrait lens - I first tried one in WEX when I was trying a 1Dx3 - put it on my 5D and loved it - but felt too long on the Mk3 - hence never got into my bag until the 1Dx came along.

But is it useful as a sports lens because it focus's so quickly - and is very sharp wide open
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Carlj

I'm getting a little purchase happy on flash modifiers at the minute. Just bought another pop up softbox - flash disk - to make my collection more fun.

I may well look at adapting vintage glass to the A6000 soon.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.