• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 122
  • Total: 122
millets
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Lucky Me

Started by Skhilled, November 23, 2010, 03:13:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skhilled

Lucky me found a hawk sitting on my neighbor's fence yesterday...2 houses away! Lealer saw it out of the kitchen window and said, "Oh! I wonder what kind of bird that is?" I took a look and couldn't believe it! I've never seen one that close before. I took a few shots through the window but they came out as if it was foggy outside and a little out of focus. Might have been that the windows needed to be cleaned a bit???  :-[

Well, I took a chance and decided to put on my jacket and go outside to see if it would still be there...after all of that and seriously doubting that it would still be there.  :( I went out my front door and walked around to the back of the house and it was still there! I took a shot of it just as I turned the corner to the back of my house in hopes of getting at least one half-decent shot before it flies away. But it didn't. In fact, it allowed me to get closer and closer to it to take more pics. It's head jerked about as small birds flew past it but it did not do anything but scratch itself.  ;D

The only thing I did to these photos was to crop them, using Paint.net, to get rid of my neighbor's back yards.

Nikon D3000
AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6.G VR
Nikkor 70-210mm f4-f5.6 AF Macro Zoom
AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6.G ED VR

Oldboy

You lucky bugger!  >:(

I can't get that close to any birds of prey even when I creep up on them. Looks like a Sparrowhawk and you can't normally get that close. Cracking shots and I bet you were buzzing all day.  ;D :tup:

spinner

Quote from: Skhilled on November 23, 2010, 03:13:48 PM

The only thing I did to these photos was to crop them, using Paint.net, to get rid of my neighbor's back yards.

Would Paint.net help me get rid of the neighbours too?  :2funny:

There's a Hawk that comes around our neighbourhood every winter, saw it back a couple of days ago. I got a shot of it once resting atop a nearby street lamp, but mostly when I see it, I forget the camera and worry about my two little dogs.
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

Skhilled

Hmmm, why did Tinypic remove my image???

Quote from: Oldboy on November 23, 2010, 06:02:34 PM
You lucky bugger!  >:(

I can't get that close to any birds of prey even when I creep up on them. Looks like a Sparrowhawk and you can't normally get that close. Cracking shots and I bet you were buzzing all day.  ;D :tup:

Hell, I'm still buzzing, especially for as amateur as I am! LOL

I thought it would take me a year or 2 just to get close enough to be to out of my camera's range. LOL My cam doesn't take external lenses. It does have a lot of the same features as a lot of DSLR's, however.

But I still can't believe that it let me get that close, walking about and holding a camera. I must have gotten about 30 feet away from it. It watched me the entire time except for when small birds would fly past it. Then it would quickly snap it's head toward the direction of the bird then back to me. I guess it didn't feel really threatened by me. I tried to make it look like I wasn't totally focused on it...kind of make it think I was just doing what I do. I guess it worked. LOL Maybe they enjoy watching us as much as we do them. ;)

Quote from: spinner on November 24, 2010, 12:41:29 PM
Quote from: Skhilled on November 23, 2010, 03:13:48 PM

Would Paint.net help me get rid of the neighbours too?  :2funny:

There's a Hawk that comes around our neighbourhood every winter, saw it back a couple of days ago. I got a shot of it once resting atop a nearby street lamp, but mostly when I see it, I forget the camera and worry about my two little dogs.

I'm sure it would, at least, help you to make something big enough to block your view of them.  :2funny: I only use it to re-size photos and reduce their file size. It is a fairly good free program and is pretty fast.

I think that I'm starting to realize that I can see more since all of the foilage is gone/disappearing...and am actually looking more for such things. My neighbors have been telling me for years that they would swoop down to get smaller birds but I've never seen them and wasn't looking for them. My neighbors (the hawk was on their property) have a 2nd floor balcony where they sit and watch the birds. Many other neighbors have bird houses making it a virtual feeding ground for birds of prey...and the local cats. LOL
Nikon D3000

alan1572

great shots, well taken
Who wanted dry roasted with their pint?

Sandy

Skhilled

Thank you...and as soon as it gets warm again I'll probably find something else to photograph. LOL Well, there are the Christmas displays that are starting to crop up and more will be up soon. It will give me a chance to try out my (probably poor :P) night shot skills. LOL
Nikon D3000

irv_b

absolutely fab shots you lucky lucky boy ;D
My Gallery

Don't count the days "Guest," make the days count!.

Sandy

Skhilled

Thank you both. I've been seeing it briefly since I took those shots. What I mean is that I'll see it swoop down to grab something, fight with it for a few seconds or so then take off again or just see it soaring around the houses. I check out there every day now.  ;D

I did take a look around out back and noticed that there is a tree at the far end of the block that is very tall and has a nest near the top of it. I assume that that is its home. Now that I've learned how to set my photos for depth of field (Yeah!) I can blur my neighbors' homes next time.  :P
Nikon D3000

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.