• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 58
  • Total: 58
Wish
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

in camera noise reduction

Started by Bigbill, September 13, 2010, 06:54:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigbill

Hewwo from Stormy(league 2 bound) Sheffy.
Now then,in cam noise reduction,,,,as you will know,this doubles the time the cam is busy,,eg 1 hr exposure,1 hr JOB-reducing the noise.
As i,m now looking to be doing 2-3 hr exposures,what i need to know is,,,,can the cam be turned off and moved around while its JOBBING,,or will i have to hang around in the middle of the night for 2-3 hrs while it does its stuff ?? Is it all worth while,,or best done in Ninja ??
Why do i get myself into these stupid situations ?????  :D ;D

shine on

anglefire

AFAIK, you can move it after you've taken the shot - I would suggest but it should be kept in the same conditions for maximum effect.
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

rksmith51

Bill, I was taking star shots the other week and turned the camera off by mistake while the BUSY warning was on, it just left the file with the noise. I will be interested to hear if its possible to clean the file PP, as you say its a pain having to wait for the process to complete before you get access to the camera again.

This is quite interesting on Flickr, read how he done it http://www.flickr.com/photos/stawarz/2981086612/

Bob
Hi, "Guest" long time no see, how are you

Graham

Now I may be wrong so ignore everthing I say.
  As I understand it Long exposure noise (As apposed to high ISO) is caused by the sensor heating up by being "activated" for so long. It gets around this by splitting the exposure into workable chunks.
         eg  A 30 second exposure will take 60 seconds..... 10 secs on...10 secs off...10 secs on...and so on.
  I'm sure it's somthing like that I'll do some digging!
                         Graham. :)

Edit.
          I had a look on t'internet and found this.
                          http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100809151552AA6fndl

So I was sort of right........a bit.......maybe.
         Anyway it sounds as though yes, you can move the camera after your initial exposure. :tup:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

rksmith51

Your right Graham, you can move it once the exposure is complete, I took a 15 min exposure, put the lens cap back on ( leaving the camera switched on) and set of for home letting the camera do the noise reduction while on my way home. I didn't know about the dark frame bit so you live and learn  :)

Bob
Hi, "Guest" long time no see, how are you

Graham

Quote from: rksmith51 on September 14, 2010, 09:56:55 AM
Your right Graham, you can move it once the exposure is complete, I took a 15 min exposure, put the lens cap back on ( leaving the camera switched on) and set of for home letting the camera do the noise reduction while on my way home. I didn't know about the dark frame bit so you live and learn  :)

Bob
When I read about the black frame bit, it did sound familiar.
                 My theory about 10 secs on...10 secs off must have been the result of too much cheese before bedtime!
                              Graham.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Bigbill

Hewwo from Wet Sheffy,,
!
Now then,thanks guys,,,guess i,ll just have to try it and see how it goes,,i,ll post when i know !!!

Shine On

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.