• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 249
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 105
  • Total: 105
7ds
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Shooting birds

Started by SimonW, November 24, 2011, 12:40:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonW

I can sit in a comfy chair in my nice warm lounge with a remote shutter release in my hand waiting for birds (lured by a feeder) to perch on the correct branch. After somewhere from ten minutes to half an hour I get bored. How on earth can anyone sit iin a cold damp hide for hours on end?

Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Markulous

'Cos we are all hoping to get a shot of a Blue Tit?

(actually, this was taken out of the bathroom window - but I opened the window!  ;))

Personally, I rarely visit hides, preferring to get my shots when out and about when birds are in their habitat - but taking shots at home is excellent practice  :tup:
Like this one when I was shooting fungi in the snow (so taken with the 105mm macro) when this guy turned up

Whatever and ever. Amen
http://smg.photobucket.com/home/Markulous/index
Mark @ Photobucket

alan1572

fantastic shot of the Robin :tup:
Who wanted dry roasted with their pint?

alan1572

Quote from: SimonW on November 24, 2011, 12:40:14 PM
How on earth can anyone sit in a cold damp hide for hours on end?

i am the same, half an hour tops in a hide for me, i'd rather be wondering around aimlessly and hope to find something to shoot
Who wanted dry roasted with their pint?

Simple

I find it very hard as well. I think it is where you set your standards. Not technically, but the type of birds you want to shoot. Personally I find that the lens is never long enough. The sun is never in the right place or of the correct strength. Yet, I have seen shots of friends of mine, that are excellent and with a smaller lens. They however sit in a hide from silly early time for hours and do this for days if not weeks just to get that shot of a bittern or kingfisher or owl. David on the following link is a good example. http://www.davidnewbyimages.co.uk/
The other thing about Bird photography is that it is probably the only type of photography were better (read expensive) kit gives you better pictures. :dance:

Reinardina

Very simple for me; I can't 'do' birds of the feathered variety. With my eyeproblems, I can see them when they move, but the minute they settle somewhere, they disappear in my blind spots.
Only once have I taken a picture of a robin, and that was only after I saw a woman taking photographs into a tree. When she left, I had a look and a robin was staring back at me. Within touching distance, and totally unfazed; didn't even bother when I used my on camera flash.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

bones615

Quote from: Simple on November 24, 2011, 04:37:00 PM
The sun is never in the right place or of the correct strength.

A set of flash triggers is useful, with a waterproof cover (sandwich bag) and sit indoors, put the kettle/music on & wait.

Oldboy

I don't sit in hides but I do sit out waiting for the birds to appear regardless of the weather. I've spent twelve hours sitting watching the Grey Heron chicks waiting for the parents to return with food. It can be a bit boring but you have no choice if you want that photo. The picture posted below, of the Mistle Thrush chicks in the nest took two hours to get this shot, as I had to wait that long for the sun to come out.  :-*

SimonW

A great shot OB. I'd say your wait was well worth while.
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Skhilled

I've been considering a setup for my backyard. I'll have to look more into this... :)
Nikon D3000
AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6.G VR
Nikkor 70-210mm f4-f5.6 AF Macro Zoom
AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6.G ED VR

rksmith51

I've had many happy hours sitting in small shed like hide I put in the garden, Place the feeders so that the sun will help you get better shots, feed regularly and in winter you will be able to wrap up well and get loads of intersting activity. This is just one of many shots I'm dlighted to have captured.
Hi, "Guest" long time no see, how are you

picsfor

Quote from: rksmith51 on November 25, 2011, 10:38:34 AM
This is just one of many shots I'm dlighted to have captured.

looks like the pic got bored of waiting to be looked at  :tup:

Markulous

My home "setup" (just chuck camera on a tripod and return every now and then - usually when I make coffee!) is either through the front door (open with a blanket across the front!):

or out the bathroom window (open with the curtain in front!):

But I do try and get away from the bird-on-a-stick type shots as much as possible and attempt what I think are slightly more interesting comps - and only occasionally with something that looks set up or artificial - if I can't get it any other way! But must admit I rarely spend more than a few minutes - I could never do hours whatever the location (I always say that if you have to wait too long the subject is just not photogenic enough!  ;))
Whatever and ever. Amen
http://smg.photobucket.com/home/Markulous/index
Mark @ Photobucket

skellum

Photographing birds is something I have not done for ages. The last time I did was in our garden with the camera on a tripod focused on the bird bath and me in the kitchen with a remote trigger. One of my favorite shots is of some young Swallows waiting to be fed who I came upon unexpectedly while walking along a canal.

I have allways had a fascination with Puffins and will hopefully get to photograph them next spring on Anglesey

Reinardina

Some absolutely wonderful shots here! Especially Markulous' furry' bird!

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.