• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 60
  • Total: 60
photobox
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Luxipics site feedback

Started by jinky, March 24, 2010, 11:58:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jinky

Couldn`t even find where I had put this request myself so thought I`d repeat it.
If anyone has the time or inclination I`d be grateful for any feedback on my new luxipics site as signed up to after Focus on Imaging. I have to change About Me page and follow Carol`s advice re: losing the slideshow and just getting a decent shot of me on there (if I ever get one ;) ) and the photo package page is yet to be done. Got a few renegade shots that are on front page show that should not be there ( horses and repeats) but hard tracking them down after an error by me! Luxipics seem supportive and it`s a simple style I want to keep to but I know a mate with chrome is saying the slideshows do not load.

Anyway it`s here if you want to look for me:
http://www.photographybypauldishman.luxipics.com

Don`t leave any comments on the failings of the site itself on there - just here- but any other positive comments welcomed (I`l reject the negative ones  ;) )

greypoint

Seems pretty straightforward and easy to navigate. Easy to read and fast enough not to get boring!

picsfor

Seems to be working OK. Obviously can do with some more images in the galleries but otherwise more than adequate.

The reality of web design is some what harder than some people make it look - even if you are using a template driven service.

I've often found web design to be something that should not be hurried. Do a bit and sit back a bit and review your efforts. Do a bit more and...

Of course there are those on here much better placed to comment than me - but that's my thoughts for now.

jinky

Cheers both. Yes Andrew I`ve been doing bit by bit over the last 8/9 days so know what you mean. Lots of text and image changes already and more to come ;)
I need to keep it brief for now. I will be adding a landscape gallery but am using it as part of my submission for the course I have been doing for ever and know the tutor will hammer me for it being too broad already so will wait until he`s seen it without the landscapes bit. Tells me I have to have a niche and clearly defined market to earn from the work - it`s the variety of photography that appeals :D

ABERS

A good sales orientated site Paul clearly stating what you have to offer prospective clients.

Took me a little while to find the thumbnails section of each gallery, until then it got a bit slow waiting for each image to appear. Is it possible to have the thumbnails appear as soon as you click onto each of the galleries? I would hazard a guess non web aware visitors would stop at the gallery page and wait for each image to load.

Just a thought.

Good luck with the undertaking.

Alan.

jinky

Cheers Alan. I am in two minds whether to have them as slideshows or galleries or a mix. At the moment if you just go down from the galleries to the sub galleries selected the slideshows come on automatically. There is a change view button on each page to enable a swirtch to thumbnails - question is how much do I explain and how much do I assume people will suss out.
It`s nice and simple for me to change pics / add galleries and is good value in that I have unlimited storage, can set up passowrd protected galleries of shots from any event that people can select from and even pay for using paypal if they wish or contact me to order. pretty good for £39 first year.

greypoint

The slideshow is a little slow. I prefer the option of thumbnails so you can click on items of interest. Whilst potential customers who've been directed specifically to your site will probably have a good browse, those who are doing a general search for a photographer in their area need to be kept interested. And many of us are very impatient when it comes to web sites ::)

Jonathan

OK.......... ;)

1. I find the site very confusing.  What's it about?  It doesn't display your portfolio (which is very nice indeed) at all well.  It looks like I can buy pics but I can't (there's an option in the wedding gallery but it doesn't work).  Generally I'm unclear if it's a selling site or one where you want people to commission you.

2. There are too many gimmicks for my liking.  Change order and change view seem unnecessary (BTW swapping view wipes out all your text and the random option is pretty odd).  Most people understand the lightbox/greybox/thickbox pop up system.  But your site uses a new and IMO poorer version of it.  I can move the pic around but how to close it isn't immediately obvious.  When I do find the close button a whole raft of options opens up.  Including "share on Facebook" which is interesting given the right click message ;)

3. I'm afraid it reminds me too much of a jazzed up version of Clickpic.  And not in a good way :)

Pictures are nice though  ::)

BTW slideshow works fine in Chrome beta under OS X.
It's Guest's round

greypoint

Reading the original post I don't think it's finished and the buying option has'nt been put in yet....at least that's how I read it.

jinky

Hi and thanks for comments. Yes I have not done anything on the selling prints side so those features are not switched on / operating fully. I am not sure I will be selling from the site as such as initially only paypal is allowed and I do not want to get into putting full sized versions on for sale of downloads etc.
I am really setting this up as a commissions site and registered etc to see how it goes for a year. Not looking for full time income / work - just a bit extra for doing  something I love. This site is a low cost starter one really that I will replace if things looked worth it.

Change order I agree seems pointless - not sure it actually changes the order that much anyway as there seems no change whether on slideshow or thumbnail and will be raising that with them.
Change view - I agree too many options but I like the opportunity to switch from slideshow to thumbs and have different sizes. I could see the close button straight away and the options that come up are useful maybe such as facebook. I think I will have to lose my right click message and keep with the smaller uploads but put  watermarks on all the images and allow that sharing - might get more enquiries.

Not sure the sale aspects are right anyway - only comes up as an option in two of my galleries. Not sure I want it but it may be something I have done / not done as I have not got to that bit yet.

The advantage over clikpic is that it does allow me unlimited storage and to set p galleries for portraits / weddings that are password protected for clients to view stuff - when the change view button might be useful.

Thanks for the comments on the pics and confirmation it works in chrome though - useful comments thanks all.

ABERS

The next challenge of course is to get people to come and look at it in sufficient numbers to make it viable as a 'commercial' site. How far you are prepared to go to undertake a commission will I suppose decide where your target audience will reside, so it would be in that geographical area you will need to get people looking.

That's a whole new can of worms!

jinky

Yeah I`m not sure how far I want to push it Alan. Not looking for a career here at my age - just a little side earner and my daughter has been pushing me to get a website for her friend`s up and coming wedding events.
I must say Luxipics have impressed me. Raised a few issues arising out of above with online help email. They rang me back and Paul who was at Focus took me through things step by step for over half an hour. I`ve now taken off some of the buttons allowing changes by users that confuse and switched off pricing everywhere and will only open on galleries I want to sell from when I am ready.
Still need to revisit numer of slideshows I feel and maybe use journal showing with words and thumbnails on some to break it up a little.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.