• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 136
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 83
  • Total: 83
millets
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

New PC - is this one any good

Started by jinky, November 16, 2009, 05:44:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonathan

Well if we're boasting.....twin 2.66 dual cores, 4 X 1TB + 2 X 2TB installed and 11 GB of Ram.  Not too bad for a 5 year old machine.

It's showing its age a little now (mainly the graphics card is outdated) - 12 cores should be cheapish by the time I upgrade.
It's Guest's round

jinky

I`ve got a Dell something or other  ;) - don`t know what`s under the bonnet but it works my NX2 and Lightroom as fast as I need

Graham

All this macho talk of RAM and GIGABITES...I don't know...you men!
We all know your just sitting in the spare room typing!
            Graham. :knuppel2:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Beryl

A true friend is the best possession

My Web site
http://berylladd.com/
Oh . And thanks for looking in

irv_b

Quote from: jinky on July 28, 2011, 03:44:22 PM
I`ve got a Dell something or other  ;) - don`t know what`s under the bonnet but it works my NX2 and Lightroom as fast as I need
I'm
right there with you jinky ;D
My Gallery

Don't count the days "Guest," make the days count!.

Oldboy

Quote from: Graham on July 28, 2011, 04:48:55 PM
All this macho talk of RAM and GIGABITES...I don't know...you men!
We all know your just sitting in the spare room typing!
            Graham. :knuppel2:

Yes, on an old typewriter!  :-*

bones615

Its all set up, looks good. Recovery discs burnt, antivirus installed. Just got to upgrade myself from xp to windows 7.
Couple of questions, any recommendations for an email program? (preferably free) as i don't intend to buy office 10 and it doesn't seem to have works. Is windows firewall OK or should i get another?

Thanks
Simon

Hinfrance

I just use Opera for everything - the built in mail client is excellent as it enables me to see all the family email activity in one panel and I don't have to start a separate mail client or open a new browser window to manage emails.

Some of my friends use Thunderbird which now looks very much like the Opera client (it used only show one email address at a time).

I have windows 7 on my laptop and it's brilliant (I loathed XP, flakey, unstable, slow, even Vista was much better). Boots up in less than a minute and wake up is about 3 seconds. Hasn't ever crashed.

I do have an AV and firewall package, and don't know if the standard one is up to par, but I suspect it's going to be pretty good.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Markulous

Quote from: bones615 on July 29, 2011, 10:29:53 PM
Couple of questions, any recommendations for an email program? (preferably free) as i don't intend to buy office 10 and it doesn't seem to have works. Is windows firewall OK or should i get another?

Email: Thunderbird is excellent. I use it for half a dozen email addresses across different email providers - both downloading to local and webmail

Firewall: M$ is pretty good under W7 though I use Outpost ($) and recommend Comodo (free)

As an aside, I'll also mention that I use Opera but only as a browser, along with FF, Chrome (easily the fastest) and Maxthon (in four flavours - the first tabbed browser and still great!)

My system is 4 x 2.6MHz but still only 4GB (way too much that still won't run on 64bit!), 6TB local disk, 5TB external disk, 1.5TB cloud, dual monitor on Radeon HD4800. XP's still a great O/S but W7 is that much better (Vista was absolutely dreadful and avoided for all my clients!)

I used to build myself but the choice and quality can be excellent on complete systems, so now buy in barebones upwards and build from there (it's very rare that someone wants something that can't be delivered off the shelf - and cheaper). Similarly, I used to overclock in the days when OC'ing gave a good performance boost but the advantages nowadays are fairly minimal (lots more noise and cost for tiny gains!), so don't bother
Whatever and ever. Amen
http://smg.photobucket.com/home/Markulous/index
Mark @ Photobucket

picsfor

If memory serves, Win 7 doesn't come with a mail client, but there is one that can be downloaded as part of the Windows add ons.
It's similar to Outlook Express and does a reasonable job as i remember. s'pose i should fire up the Win 7 laptop to find out - it's just using M$. I'm become a fruity comp user nowadays   :dance:

spinner

Quote from: bones615 on July 29, 2011, 10:29:53 PM
Its all set up, looks good. Recovery discs burnt, antivirus installed. Just got to upgrade myself from xp to windows 7.

Thanks
Simon

Simon, I use Microsoft Security Essentials on all my windows based PC's (wife's lappy, daughter's tower etc.) it works great and it's FREE. It monitors the Firewall, has AV and Anti Malware. I used to run AVG then Avast but removed them and haven't had any issues with security. Did I mention it was FREE? :D
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

bones615

Latest update - Sent it back after a week. Computer kept freezing so i ended up resetting it to factory but did not solve the problem, called Dixons on a saturday and had a surprizingly easy experience, told the guy what i had done & he said no problem we will have it picked up & send another one out, no quibbles, no messing about trying this and that setting. So as frustrated as i was full marks to Dixons customer service for not causing any more stress.

Using Thunderbird Email thats doing the job fine, Avast AV and windows firewall. Just had a problem with internet explorer (wouldnt open any links) so ive just downloaded Firefox which on first impressions seems to do the job fine & slightly faster.

Thanks for your advice & input.

Simon

anglefire

Open Office is a free office type package - and reads M$ Office files. Just doesn't support Visual basic. One I recommend :)
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.