• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 249
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 134
  • Total: 134
parkcameras
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Hello all

Started by jools-elliott, August 28, 2011, 09:50:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jools-elliott

Morning everyone

I've come here after a quick invite from Mick over on Photo Radar.

My name is Julian Elliott but a lot of people know me as Jools.

I live in the Loire Valley, France and I'm a pro landscape photographer and freelance writer. I contribute regularly to DSLR User magazine and have also just become a contributor to Photo Plus and Digital Camera Mag.

In November, I've been invited to talk at the British Journal of Photography's Vision event. The BJP called me and said that they felt my work would inspire people.

One thing I love to do is teach people. Personally, I feel that some try to make photography into some black art and that no matter what, they must keep that secret. What's the point? I prefer helping out others and passing on what I can.

Next year, I'm hoping to get a few workshops up and running both here in France and over in the UK.

And there you have it :)

Jools

Mick

Hi Jools, glad you could make it over here.  Just been perusing your site, excellent work there. ;)

Any questions regarding the site just shout.  Look forward to seeing you join in.

Also sent you a PM. ;)

Rgrds

Mick
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

Graham

Welcome to the site. :tup:
               Graham. :)
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Beryl

Hi Jools. Welcome to CC  :)
A true friend is the best possession

My Web site
http://berylladd.com/
Oh . And thanks for looking in

Beaux Reflets

Hi Jools, hope you are enjoying France - The good wine and quiet roads  :beer:
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

jools-elliott

Thanks all.

Yep, the wine is good. I am developing a taste for Sancerre :)

I've been discovering some gorgeous corners over here that I want to run some workshops in. I'm trying to find places that are not done to death, like Provence, and introduce people to some of the other wonders.

Currently, trying to figure out a 3.5 day workshop in Burgundy. I'm thinking that as part of it, that it would be nice if as well as teaching people photography during the days, that we stop off at a vineyard for some degustation. It would be a shame for people to come all that way and not experience the real side of France :)

Hinfrance

Nice to see you here. As I'm rubbish at landscapes I shall be looking to learn - although not if I have to get up too early ;)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

jools-elliott

Hi Hinfrance

Well, from my one day workshop side of things I don't want to do that to people. I want to break them in gently ;)

If someone was out on a three and a half dayer, then expect a long day :tup:

I have a friend who I meet up with when I'm in the UK. He says that he both loves and hates going out with me. He loves the experience but hates it as afterwards he needs a day or two to recover ;D

Here's an example of a weekend we did:

Saturday: meet up at dawn in Wiltshire. Spend a good hour or so on top of a hill waiting for the light. Off to some woods to see if the bluebells were out. They weren't but we still took the opportunity to get woodland shots. Off to Castle Combe to shoot the little village. Lunch. Meet up on the welsh coast for some coastal work.

Sunday: I'd gone back to sleep at my dad's place. My mate stayed over in a hotel. I drove down from Salisbury to Dartmoor. Afternon, meet up in Dartmoor to do an ancient woodland. Shots in the bag. We were going down to the Lizard for sunset. Decided we wouldn't make it. He went off to the hotel we were staying down in Penzance. I went off to discover Crackington Haven then after I spent a good 1.5 hours there drove to Penzance.

Monday: up at dawn for sunrise at St Michael's Mount. Just about got some stuff. Back to the hotel for breakfast. Off to Porth Nanven. Stayed there until lunchtime. Quickly nip into the chippy. Off up to Padstow. Get irate as the parking there is cr@p. There for another 1.5 hours or so plus two cornish cream ice creams. Lastly, The Rumps. It starts off nice but then a gale starts blowing. It was quite hairy being up there and having about a force 7 wind coming off the Atlantic. Leave just before sunset. We're grateful getting a lift in a farmers landrover. I say my goodbyes to my mate.

Tuesday: I get up after about 6 hours sleep and drive to Kngston Lacy. Get my shots and then to Salisbury.

Job done!

I was under pressure during this weekend as I was supposed to secure some magazine shots for three different articles. Not an easy task but I made it :)

Jools

mondmagu

Hi Jools welcome aboard.Looking forward to your contributions,like your idea of a workshop,work and fun!!! :beer:

Des
Des
www.flickr.com/photos/mondmagu

Oldboy

Hi Jools and welcome.  :tup:

jools-elliott

Quote from: mondmagu on August 28, 2011, 04:48:10 PM
Hi Jools welcome aboard.Looking forward to your contributions,like your idea of a workshop,work and fun!!! :beer:

Des

Thanks for that. And yes. If anyone wants to sign up for a workshop, I will try to make it an interesting day and bestow all I can! Can't do a wine stop for my Dorset one but when I get Burgundy figured out then it will definitely be something that will go into the mix.

And just in case anyone might be wondering why I am not doing the Loire seeing as I live here. It's because I am currently with "someone" to try and get it organized. It won't be me running it but it'll be the result of my work that got it up and running. Hopefully, that is something I can enlighten people with in a few weeks time. Needless to say, it could have a VERY positive effect on my career as a photographer :)

Jools

PS Here's something from the borders of Burgundy. A small town call Sancerre that I love photographing. Haven't finished the PP on yet.

skellum

Hello and welcome to the site.   Nice to see another Canon user here ( I had a look at your site )  Hope to see you take part in our weekly comp.  Regards, Dave   :legit:

irv_b

Hi Jools welcome! I had a look at your website also and really enjoyed it you have some great stuff on there :tup:
My Gallery

Don't count the days "Guest," make the days count!.

ABERS

Hello there and welcome and enjoy!

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.