• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 130
  • Total: 130
wex
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Do you or would you help others with their photography?

Started by Beaux Reflets, January 25, 2013, 07:35:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ABERS

Quote from: Beaux Reflets on January 27, 2013, 01:28:29 PM

And for a variety of reasons many photographers cannot for what ever their reason (even self confidence) contemplate the RPS route initially (if that is the summit they wish to reach).

That's just the starting point, nobody should ever be satisfied with where they're at.

Hinfrance

Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

spinner

Quote from: ABERS on January 25, 2013, 09:21:49 AM
I've spent hours exchanging PM's and emails with a couple of people, one I remember went on for many many months and it can become extremely time consuming. Perhaps I haven't got the knack of imparting knowledge or technique in what can become a somewhat tedious drawn out operation, no matter how enthusiastic the recipient may be!

Alan,

I spent the last 11 yrs. of my career in an in-house training/troubleshooting position where I spent the better part of my day reviewing and repairing legal paperwork. If there's one thing I learned, some people are just thick and no matter how patient you are or how detailed you breakdown a process, they just don't get it. So I'm pretty sure it's not you. Conversely some of the thickest people were also the most arguementative and arrogant.  :doh:
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

Sarasocke

Interesting thread :)

I actually give one day courses for beginners here in Germany. I emphasize beginners, as I am no superdooper expert. The students I get are usually of the category who don't know what an aperture is. In other words, they have no idea about anything much. I welcome people with any kind of camera, as I believe that "good" photos can be made with even the smallest point and shoot.

After doing this for a couple of years I've come to the conclusion that in most cases their hearts aren't in it. At the end of the day, they insist on having understood everything - usually without having written one wored in notes. I meet up with them often some time later and their photos are just as awful as before. Zero composition, zero focus, zero feeling in general. The wonky horizons are still there.

I would imagine that if someone went to the trouble of posting a photo on a site like cc and specifically asked what they could do better, then they may take that advice, or at least try to.
We see many people who don't seem to have grasped the essentials, but their "skills" are still praised no end - just look at the amount of rubbish on flickr.

Very difficult subject, but I guess it would be an idea to start up a section here at CC and see how it goes.

As regards the RPS - I totally agree with Del and Abers. I take the distinctions as a goal to aim for myself and so far I've had great fun getting there. I must say that part of it initially was to have a piece of paper which says "she can do it", I'm sure the distinctions have made me look a little more like a "serious" photographer  :D Living in Germany I can't join in most of the activities, and I get quite jealous reading about what Del's been up to!
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

ABERS

Visited the RPS Members Exhibition opening at Watford, in the Harlequin Centre, and saw 100 prints of great quality and some of exceptional quality.

These were selected from some 9,000 entries and for you that find entry fees a little too much to swallow or printing and mounting costs too exhorbitant, everything in this instance was free.

No enrtry fee, printing, mounting and framing by the RPS exhibitions team, and a wonderful job they had done too! :tup:

So there's more to the RPS than trying for letters after your name.

P.S. The exhibition is in Watford until the 17th Feb. before moving on to other venues.

PPS Earlier I posted that Tim Wallace had been awarded his FRPS. I don't know where I gleaned that from, but I am mistaken he still retains his ARPS. Apologies to all and especially Bootneck! :-[

Beaux Reflets

Quote from: ABERS on February 04, 2013, 09:07:23 AM
Visited the RPS Members Exhibition opening at Watford, in the Harlequin Centre, and saw 100 prints of great quality and some of exceptional quality.

These were selected from some 9,000 entries and for you that find entry fees a little too much to swallow or printing and mounting costs too exhorbitant, everything in this instance was free.

No enrtry fee, printing, mounting and framing by the RPS exhibitions team, and a wonderful job they had done too! :tup:

So there's more to the RPS than trying for letters after your name.

P.S. The exhibition is in Watford until the 17th Feb. before moving on to other venues.

PPS Earlier I posted that Tim Wallace had been awarded his FRPS. I don't know where I gleaned that from, but I am mistaken he still retains his ARPS. Apologies to all and especially Bootneck! :-[

Sounds good Alan, perhaps a thread for matters RPS - so events like that can be highlighted etc.  ?
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Paul Montgomery

Loosely related, has anyone heard from Tim - he used to be a regular on  certain camera magazine forum?

ABERS

Quote from: Paul Montgomery on February 04, 2013, 06:23:20 PM
Loosely related, has anyone heard from Tim - he used to be a regular on  certain camera magazine forum?

He has a three page article about his photographic career in this month's edition of the RPS Journal which reads like an advertorial for his business Ambient Life ;) and he seems to be going strong.

Alfonso_Frisk

Quote from: ABERS on February 04, 2013, 07:07:19 PM

He has a three page article about his photographic career in this month's edition of the RPS Journal which reads like an advertorial for his business Ambient Life ;) and he seems to be going strong.

I wonder if he mentions "Stan from DCM" forums - lol
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

Oldboy

Quote from: Alfonso_Frisk on February 04, 2013, 08:56:10 PM

Naughty boy!  :knuppel2:

ABERS

Funnily enough he doesn't. ;) and he doesn't mention DCM either.

I wonder if Stan is still at it somewhere, raising the odd eyebrow and ruffling a few feathers by just saying how he saw the world.  ;D

Paul Montgomery

I saw his article in the RPS journal - not read it yet.
I frequent photanswers forum. There was a character on there who posted a lot of home-made bits like Stan did (eg flash controllers) - when I asked if it was him I got a very cryptic answer....

Mick

I have to say, I'm guilty of letting Stan get away with much more than he should over at DCM.  To be honest some of his posts had me in stitches.  To all he offended I can only apologise.  :legit:
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

Oldboy

Quote from: Mick on February 05, 2013, 07:44:50 PM

I have to say, I'm guilty of letting Stan get away with much more than he should over at DCM.  To be honest some of his posts had me in stitches.  To all he offended I can only apologise.  :legit:

It's not your fault Mick. Stan was a nasty person if you got on his wrong side, which didn't take much doing.  :o

Alfonso_Frisk

Quote from: Mick on February 05, 2013, 07:44:50 PM

Stan was harmless compared to the troll Ritchie.
He did annoy some with his own brand of critique, especially those who liked to "overdo" the photoshopping. ;)
Made me chuckle when Mr Wallace posted a shot taken on a beach and Stan pulled him up on his pebbles looking like carrots. lol
They were rather orange though  ;D ;D
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.