• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 136
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 113
  • Total: 113
millets
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Chat thread for Weekly comp GOOD NEWS STORY

Started by stevebedder, January 23, 2012, 07:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevebedder

CHAT THREAD
This weeks topic for the competition is...

A GOOD NEWS STORY

All I seem to hear in the news lately is that the world is imploding and that everyone is horrible (OK, slight exaggeration) but I'm sure there are plenty of good news stories out there. This weeks comp is to take a shot that represents a GOOD NEWS story that you have read or seen. It could be a global or national GOOD NEWS story, or something more local to you. It doesn't even need to have been reported in the news, it could be something neighbourly or family orientated that highlights the GOOD that is happening in the world, your town, your street, your house etc.

As an extra incentive to enter this weeks competition, there will be a 2Gb USB 'credit card' thumb drive for the winner.

No restrictions on any PPing

Pictures to be taken between 00.01am Monday 23rd Jan 2012 to 23:59 Sunday  29th Jan 2012 .
Pictures to be posted in the entries thread no later than 23.59pm Monday 30th January 2012.
Poll will be up Tuesday 31st January 2012.
Winner to be announced Saturday 4th Feb 2012.

The Rules for the weekly competition are...

By entering you agree to take responsibility to
Post a topic on the Sunday following your declared win
Create an entries thread
Create a chat thread
Create a poll for that weeks comp and declare the winner on the Saturday
(if for any reason there is a problem and no subject is posted by the winner by Monday night admin will advise second place winner to post the topic asap, do the poll etc)

In case of a tie, the first entry posted wins.

Photos to be taken during the specified dates, ie Monday xx to Sunday xx

Pictures to be posted in the entries thread no later than 23.59 Monday night

Good luck everyone  :tup:

Reinardina

Very positive subject Steve!
Hope it'll pull me out of the little dip I find myself in, at the moment!

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Reinardina

Steve, I was a bit distracted yesterday, and forgot to ask. What is a thumb drive?

stevebedder

A thumb drive is just another name for a pen drive or memory stick, basically its a portable 2Gb USB drive roughly the size of a credit card

:)

Reinardina

Quote from: stevebedder on January 24, 2012, 01:37:05 PM
A thumb drive is just another name for a pen drive or memory stick, basically its a portable 2Gb USB drive roughly the size of a credit card

:)

Thanks. I know them as pen drive or memory stick. Hadn't heard the term thumb drive before.

You set us quite a task this week! Went out this morning in the hope of finding something to cheer about, but everything is/was miserable!
For starters it rained, so I decided to go to the city centre in the hope of finding some cover and some happy occasions or good news people.

Nothing at first glance, so I went to the shopping centre, where the whole top floor is given over to chip, pizza and burger places (yuck!) in the hope to find a happy birthday party somewhere ... nothing!

Then I got attacked by a dog, or so I thought. I had just walked past a 'help dog' in a yellow coat, when I felt the creature jump at my back, and slide down along my leg. When I turned round to see what was happening, it turned out a poor woman had actually stumbled and fallen against me. She claimed to be all right and was helped up by her husband, but I saw her trip up again soon after. Without falling this time.

Then, while waiting for the bus, yet another, this time elderly, lady fell from a standing position bang on her bottom. She too was helped up and seemed all right. This might be a good news story, but I didn't photograph it!

There was one positive thing though. When I went into an 'outdoor' shop to buy myself a second 'gilet with loads of pockets' (I use them as 'handbag' when travelling on budget airlines; they hold an enormous amount of stuff, and also come in handy when out with the camera), they had just the thing I wanted. Right colour, right size and 'end of line. So they won't stock that particular type anymore.
If push comes to shove, I'll have to think of a way of portraying that, as my 'good news story.'

Oh well, it can't really get much worse than this, so my next attempts may fare better!

stevebedder

You don't have to capture a good news story as it happens, there's plenty of good news stories in the papers and on news websites (although sometimes they take a bit of finding) that you could use to take a photo that represents a particular story that caught your eye.

:tup:

Reinardina

Quote from: stevebedder on January 24, 2012, 05:49:21 PM
You don't have to capture a good news story as it happens, there's plenty of good news stories in the papers and on news websites (although sometimes they take a bit of finding) that you could use to take a photo that represents a particular story that caught your eye.

I realise that Steve, but I couldn't think of something straight away, so went out, in the hope of getting some inspiration. Very often, when I take my camera for a walk (we haven't got a dog), I do come across things that may not be exactly what I'm looking for at that particular moment, but are worth photographing 'for later use,' or give me ideas for other things. But this morning was a waste of time in that respect, or maybe the meaning of all the happenings hasn't hit me yet!

Reinardina

Heard a good news story yesterday, that especially appealed to me, as it was about curing blindness.
Two people have been injected (in their eyes!) with stemcells, in the hope to find, in due time, a cure for age related macular degeneration. People with MD have a growing blind spot in the centre of their vision.

Beaux Reflets

A good topic to stretch the brain  ;)

Forget the Crane

:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Hinfrance

Is it that you are getting a new fosse septique or oil/gas tank?

Here's mine:

My daughter was so fired up about college after she did her introductory days this week; especially about the small flashing led circuit kit she soldered together. "I was the only one who didn't burn their fingers or set fire to their hair" she proudly announced. Bless.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

stevebedder

If I ever have the opportunity to pick the weekly comp subject again, I'll run it by someone first!! I found it quite difficult this week  :-[

Anyway, here's my entry - Blot on the Landscape

It's chimney stack left over from a factory that once stood on this site. The factory was demolished years ago but the chimney (as you can see) has not, and many believe it is as an eyesore and a stain on the local landscape.

This week it was announced that funding has been applied for to demolish the chimney and replace it with industrial units creating local jobs - good news for lots of locals.

Personally, I think it's a good landmark (but could do with tidying up), and whenever I see it I know I'm almost home.

Good luck everyone

Beaux Reflets

No not at all Howard, just the chap managed to safely walk his plank without dropping a thing, and that I happened to be passing the site by chance to grab a few back lit shots without any blownout pixels.   :D :beer:

And catching the duck laying her egg would have been a whole lot more difficult :2funny: 

Just wait until the door alarms and bicycle dingdong with disco lights come home. - Your daughter will be re wiring your guitar gear pretty soon for the all night parties  ;D
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

michaelb104

After many many years funding was finally given in 2009 to build a bypass for my village and a lot of others along the A46 through Nottinghamshire.  The good news is that some of the sections have been opened up and one of the sections has taken all the traffic away from my village, we can now get in and out of the village without taking our life into our own hands – hooray  :tup: :beer:

This image is the section that takes the traffic away from the village.

Taking this image I have just tested the waterproofness of my camera, it was lashing it down  :(
Mike

My Flickr   .   My Fluidr

jinky

Leeds Corn Exchange is a marvellous Grade 1 listed building that used to be a thriving centre for alternative, independent traders that appealed in particular to young people (especially Goths and Emos) seeking vintage, designer and Goth gear as well as tattoos and novelty condoms. In their wisdom a few years back the management decided the way forward was a food emporium when TV chefs became Gods. Fond as I am of cooking this would clearly never have worked and the protests about it were bigger than the weekly footfall through the centre. However they pressed on terminated contracts and threw out small traders, carried out extensive redecoration in keeping with thebuilding and awaited their influx of foodie entrepreneurs. One of the more expensive restaurateurs took over the basement with lovely , expensive cheese, chocolate and wine shops too then -  nothing. People stopped going in and we had a beautiful building usually just attracting photographers where at least centre management staff were great on allowing anything. A rethink has taken place over the last few months and now the independents ( different ones largely) are coming back with only 6 empty units, regular craft / record fairs and it is getting busy again. I was able to get centre management to agree to me doing a shoot in there as a personal challenge with 5 models, a make up artist, 4 shops and a couple of other local photographers dragged in to share the load. Great fun and great products loaned. I was allowed to play with really expensive Martin and Faith guitars, new designs just trolleyed to our models and best fun I have had in ages. Appalling business sense of course a it was all for free with trades for time of images but great contacts made and who knows. Worth it just to shoot (within their lights allowed limits meaning simple strobist / orbis approach) in this great building. Good news at last!

stevebedder

Would someone please be able to set up the Poll for this comp tomorrow as I will be tied up pretty much all day?

Would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance  :tup:

Steve

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.