• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 136
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 111
  • Total: 111
photobox
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Do you like EVFs?

Started by greypoint, November 26, 2009, 07:59:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

do you like electronic?

yes
1 (8.3%)
no
7 (58.3%)
sometimes
4 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

greypoint

They're meant to be getting better. could you use one full time? Is it really the future?

Nemesis

My two cameras in regular use are a Panny G1 (LVF) and FZ28 (EVF), so most definitely yes - to both questions  ;)

Forseti

Pardon me for perhaps being a bit slow off the mark this morning but how exactly can this poll be answered - it's not fitting with the question? The question is 'Do you like EVF's'. Ok, I can answer that yes, no or sometimes - but the heading of the actual poll says 'optical or electronic?' so to which one am I actually saying yes to, if in fact I want to answer yes?

I'll come back and read this in an hour or so. At the moment I'm waiting for this new 25" monitor  :tup: to warm up in order to calibrate it. Compared to my old 19" it's like wall-to-wall monitor - well pleased as now Photoshop/Lightroom will show a larger preview area.  :D
Canon 7D,  Canon SX1 IS, EF100 f/2.8 USM Macro, EF70-200 f/4 L IS USM, EF17-40 f/4 L USM, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, Canon Speedlite 580EX MkII

"Everyone can take a great picture with digital, the knack is to take two" - David Bailey

picsfor

hadn't noticed the top part, must have been operating on the just out of bed mode when i voted!
Your point is well made and probably the vote needs to be re-created so you can choose y/n/sometimes for both optical and electronic.

Regards monitor - i fear this will be the last we hear of you for several days as you go about seeing your pictures in a whole new light.
Enjoy!

Nemesis

Must confess, I voted according to the thread title  :legit:

greypoint

sorry - it's because you have to fill in both thread title and question and theyt were back to front :-\ The question is - do you like evfs - and the point of discussion I suppose is are they the future and could you live with that?

Malcolm1938

If every EVF was like the one on the Panasonic G1 - yes I could live with that, BUT as they aren't I'll be sticking with optical for the time being...

There is still a lot to be said for a good coupled rangefinder with automatic parallax correction built in.
FKA CannOffice
Too old to die young
Every day is a good day - if you wake up....

My Gallery

Forseti

Quote from: greypoint on November 26, 2009, 10:32:44 AM
sorry - it's because you have to fill in both thread title and question and theyt were back to front :-\ The question is - do you like evfs - and the point of discussion I suppose is are they the future and could you live with that?

Ah, ok then. I voted sometimes because as rubbish as the EVF is on my SX1 I find it easier to compose and hold the camera steady as opposed to using the fold outable, clapable and all things 'able' of the LCD display. Live view on the 40D - no never used it and probably never will. As to the 7D  :tup: - well we'll just have to wait and see.

Quote from: picsfor on November 26, 2009, 09:51:52 AM
Regards monitor - i fear this will be the last we hear of you for several days as you go about seeing your pictures in a whole new light.

:-* One drawback I've found already. I've had to increase my viewing distance which has resulted in my not being able to reach my coffee cup  ::) - guess I'll have to find another place for it.  :-\
Canon 7D,  Canon SX1 IS, EF100 f/2.8 USM Macro, EF70-200 f/4 L IS USM, EF17-40 f/4 L USM, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, Canon Speedlite 580EX MkII

"Everyone can take a great picture with digital, the knack is to take two" - David Bailey

chris@seary.com

EVF?      ???

Sorry, but the thread doesn't make it very clear either.

Help!

Nemesis

EVF = Electronic view finder; although Panny has created new terminology with the G1/GH1 and the LVF = Live view finder.

picsfor

Quote from: Forseti on November 26, 2009, 10:56:56 AM
Quote from: picsfor on November 26, 2009, 09:51:52 AM

:-* One drawback I've found already. I've had to increase my viewing distance which has resulted in my not being able to reach my coffee cup  ::) - guess I'll have to find another place for it.  :-\

Couldn't you reposition your base unit and use that coffee mug holder that doubled up as a CD/DVD reader when not being used for its primary purpose?  :)

Forseti

No, it won't fit.  :'(

Sorry OP - I've gone OT, won't do it again, promise.  :legit:

picsfor

Conical mug being searched for...
Maybe an opening in the market...

Oldboy

Just voted no as I prefer normal viewfinder.  ;D

Forseti - Try here: http://www.ideasbynet.com/marrow_coffee_mug.htm  :2funny:

MikeE

Generally, no, I don't like electronic viewfinders. Perhaps, the more recent ones don't have lag when you pan across the screen.

But I still prefer an optical viewfinder. And I really would rather hold a camera to my eye, rather than at arm's length when taking a photo.
-Mike Elek

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.