• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 251
  • Total: 251
  • Google
Wish
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Portrait help.

Started by Jediboy, August 17, 2013, 05:44:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hinfrance

You're right Alan, of course. A well equiped studio can recreate most lighting styles, but I suspect that most of us won't have more than a couple of strobes and the odd reflector, so we are not going to be able to take advantage of such flexibility. I actually find that just using one strobe can be very effective for adding some drama, and it's much easier for my little brain to cope with.

That said, take a look through a copy of Vogue and see how many of the shots are done with a combination of natural and strobe lighting, or just daylight - it's lots. The picture editors and stylists know that you cannot get a diffuser big enough to match the one in the sky.  ;)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

ABERS

Quote from: Hinfrance on August 20, 2013, 08:09:46 AM
The picture editors and stylists know that you cannot get a diffuser big enough to match the one in the sky.  ;)

..and you even have to help that sometimes, with a little judicious reflected light, perhaps using the latest copy of Vogue!  ;)

Hinfrance

Quote from: ABERS on August 20, 2013, 08:38:20 AM
Quote from: Hinfrance on August 20, 2013, 08:09:46 AM
The picture editors and stylists know that you cannot get a diffuser big enough to match the one in the sky.  ;)

..and you even have to help that sometimes, with a little judicious reflected light, perhaps using the latest copy of Vogue!  ;)

:tup: :tup: :dance:
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Jediboy

Cheers guys. I think the controllability issue sounds good.
I don't read vogue, so can't comment on the photos.
May the Force be with you.

Chris

Hinfrance

Seriously Chris, fashion magazines are a wonderful resource for lighting ideas. Get a copy of Vogue, Marie Claire, Red or somesuch and have a flick through. ;)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Jediboy

To be fair that does make sense. My wife doesn't even read these mags, so I may have to bite the bullet and go and buy a copy. For my wife, obviously.  :)
May the Force be with you.

Chris

Hinfrance

Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.