• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 136
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 109
  • Total: 109
millets
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Andy Rouse feedback

Started by jinky, April 08, 2016, 04:00:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jinky

Not sure who can see this as it is a facebook link but just been brave / stupid enough to comment on an Andy Rouse image and say it doesn`t woirk for me. He`s used infra red photography to shoot a gorilla with very little of the background foliage showing. To me it works very well as a black and white image but the IR element was wasted as nothing in the central image is really imapcted by the IR treatment as I see it. He asked for opinions and I gave it. Others have said the same and his immediate response was " well the press love it because it`s different" . Just shows that even the great photographers get defensive when they offer an image for critique and then don`t like what they read - he`s polite though  ;)
https://www.facebook.com/andyrousephoto/photos/a.273469753752.144395.266511513752/10153573097053753/?type=3&theater

He`s just come back to me and said me and another guy are being "too technical" and we`ve missed what makes the image stand out in infra red over his mono version. I`ve asked if he can share his mono version to show me. He`s certainly got more life in the gorillas eyes than I thought possible using infra red but....

It`s funny he posted an advert on FB for places on his next trip to the pole yto shoot polar bears  with a chartered ice breaker. i commented I`d have loved to have gone if I`d won last nights lottery (it`s £8,5000 + flights  pp) and he replied he had and had bought the ship!  :2funny:

This is a screenshot in case you cannot get onto Facebook showing the shot and comments. He thinks I`m too technical and missing something and is probably right! I should stress it is a screenshot of Any Rouse`s shot for critique purposes and I will delete the file once anyone has commented and feedback any further comment he makes. I`ll also be getting out my old infra red Sony F707 when I see what he means.

jinky

I think he's binned me now saying he won't share the B&W one but trust him the IR one is best.
Still not many photographers at his level would do banter on Facebook. Not enjoyed myself so much since a few of our Leeds Flickr group were dismissed in the Guardian as a " bolshy lot" for challenging his assertions about shooting lots in the hope or aim of getting one decent image!

Beaux Reflets

My take on it Paul

An interesting shot - Both the IR tones and the sqint in/of eyes are messaging the quite natural " Try to connect with,,," aspect - In combination it works to grab initial attention and to underline the loss of connections in Nature - A good PR shot for endangered species.

I'm not a IR fan, some images work and some don't - I am not inspired to try IR as a result of the Squinting Gorilla shot but can see some merit in the combination.
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Oldboy

Not everyone likes the same image as we are all different. You gave an honest opinion and he should respect that and not try to brow-beat you to accept his choice because he's a pro. I'm not keen on it either as it lacks impact. 

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.