• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 63
  • Total: 63
millets
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

The Olympics.

Started by ABERS, July 19, 2012, 02:29:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anglefire

Not sure it is worth every penny, but does have some value to it, to be sure. :)
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Reinardina

Apart from the torch, which I saw twice, I haven't seen anything Olympic. Neither the opening ceremony, nor any sporting events. But, like the torch, it seems to have a very uplifting effect on the nation. Hope, optimism and happiness can't be bad, as long as we manage to channel all this optimism and energy into something worthwhile.

And I haven't heard a negative word about all these elitist (being the best, and coming first, is elitist, isn't it?) medal winners. And (how very old fashioned!) they do it for the glory, and not because they are paid millions.

As long as this message is not lost the minute the games are over, I think we will have won.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Graham

Really impressed with the sportsmanship shown as well. I liked that when the mens quads (not sure if that's what they'er called...you know, four men in a boat.) won gold, they told the interviewers to wait while they went to help the Australian silver medalists out of their boat.
  What does annoy me though is ignoramus  comentators describeing silver and bronze medalists as having "lost" and saying they must be disapointed! :knuppel2:

Anyway what happened to the cream of GB's multi-millionair soccer players? (Don't answer, I'm not really interested.)
              Graham. :tup:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Reinardina

Quote from: Graham on August 06, 2012, 05:01:40 PM
  Really impressed with the sportsmanship shown as well. I liked that when the mens quads (not sure if that's what they'er called...you know, four men in a boat.) won gold, they told the interviewers to wait while they went to help the Australian silver medalists out of their boat.
  What does annoy me though is ignoramus  comentators describeing silver and bronze medalists as having "lost" and saying they must be disapointed! :knuppel2:

Anyway what happened to the cream of GB's multi-millionair soccer players? (Don't answer, I'm not really interested.)
              Graham. :tup:

This negative reporting (being a loser, when you've just won silver, or bronze) is, in my opinion, typical of a 'novice' reporter. Being a name (or a face) seems to be more important these days, than knowing your stuff.

And no, I won't comment on soccer. (Or any other sport.)

ABERS

Here's an article that will make you either choke on your cornflakes or say, " Mmmm...???". ;)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19144983

Can you imagine 6 million people in a swimming pool! Hope they don't all take a crafty leak!! :legit: :uglystupid2:

Graham

Quote from: ABERS on August 07, 2012, 07:13:00 AM
Here's an article that will make you either choke on your cornflakes or say, " Mmmm...???". ;)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19144983

Can you imagine 6 million people in a swimming pool! Hope they don't all take a crafty leak!! :legit: :uglystupid2:

Interesting article. Iv'e heard a lot of calls for the government to review their take on sports funding, given the recent successes why would they?
  I concede that it would help if they would stop authorising the sale of school playing fields to developers.

ps   I have never had a "crafty leak" in a swimming pool....I always do it from the diving board! :)
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

ABERS

Don't you just love that Dressage caper.  ???

The last time I saw anything like that was when  Billy Smarts came to town. ;).

SimonW

Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Beaux Reflets

Quote from: SimonW on August 08, 2012, 04:51:21 PM
Some very interesting shots here from a photography point of view:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/picturegalleries/9461272/London-2012-Olympics-Photographers-tricks.html?frame=2303616

Simon

It is encouraging and good to see the thoughtful explanations with each one too - Thanks for sharing  :tup:
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Matthew

I watched the last hour of the opening ceremony, was impressed by the scale of it. I have even watched more of the events than a ever thought I would, but one thing that baffles me is, why is there horse riding/equestrian events in the Olympics?......I always thought the point of the Olympics was a test of the human strength, agility and stamina?.....Surely the horse is the one being tested and not the human.....it's like making Formula One or Power boat racing an Olympic event.... :uglystupid2:
Never argue with a stupid person, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Reinardina

Quote from: highlandscenics on August 08, 2012, 10:19:49 PM
I watched the last hour of the opening ceremony, was impressed by the scale of it. I have even watched more of the events than a ever thought I would, but one thing that baffles me is, why is there horse riding/equestrian events in the Olympics?......I always thought the point of the Olympics was a test of the human strength, agility and stamina?.....Surely the horse is the one being tested and not the human.....it's like making Formula One or Power boat racing an Olympic event.... :uglystupid2:

It takes years, to learn to master a horse and put it through its paces faultlessly; you could call that stamina, I suppose.
But, yes, I too always had the idea the Olympics were mainly for  individual athletes, with relays (and tennis) as the exception.
Skill, in all its diverse guises, seems to have been added over the years.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.