• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 158
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 132
  • Total: 132
wex
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Any ideas gratefully appreciated

Started by Karen, December 12, 2013, 12:24:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karen

Hiya. Im running windows 7 and IE. I changed over to Sky broadband and it was activated on Tuesday. Now everything in the house by which I mean phones, laptop and the wee wireless connector for the on demand is having no problem with the sky router and I can access the internet with the laptop, however my main computer no likey! The computer connects to the network and says its connected with excellent strength but above this says no internet access. The status bars on the bottom have the little yellow exclamation sign that looks like a clamp on them. Ive tried everything I can think of including all the usual resets and disconnecting everything and reconnecting so all that's done. The status bars showed I had internet access at one point this afternoon but when I clicked on IE it couldn't display any web page and the little clamp just came back on. I cant see any reason why this can be. All lights are on sky box and as I say no probs with anything else.
Sorry bit long winded but trying to give as much info as possible.
Any help or suggestion would be appreciated as its going out the window soon
Thanks

Hinfrance

From what you have said it sounds like there is a software setting that is preventing you from accessing the internet. I occasionally have problems with my W7 PC, but that, I know, is my dodgy router (France Telecom, go figure . .  )

So a few questions:

Did Sky supply a new router? Do you have an anti virus and firewall application on your desktop that is different to the laptop? Is your router an authorised internet device in your firewall? Have you tried connecting the PC to the router using an ethernet cable? Does the wifi card on the PC have its own set-up utility?
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Oldboy

Try going into Start, Control Panel, Network and Sharing Centre, Click on View Status for connection and when the window opens, click on disable button and close window when finished. From the Tasks list click on Diagnose and Repair and click on the enable option when prompted. Might have to do this a few times when going on the internet until it corrects it's self.  :tup:

Karen

Quote from: Hinfrance on December 12, 2013, 08:02:15 AM
From what you have said it sounds like there is a software setting that is preventing you from accessing the internet. I occasionally have problems with my W7 PC, but that, I know, is my dodgy router (France Telecom, go figure . .  )

So a few questions:

Did Sky supply a new router? Do you have an anti virus and firewall application on your desktop that is different to the laptop? Is your router an authorised internet device in your firewall? Have you tried connecting the PC to the router using an ethernet cable? Does the wifi card on the PC have its own set-up utility?

Hi yes its a new router provided by sky. Both laptop and computer running avg antivirus so no difference there. Ive even switched off firewall to try to connect. Firewall seems to think its approved. Ethernet cable not practical due to where they are in relation to each other. No idea about wifi card.

Tried that Oldboy...no joy. All it does is tells me to unplug the router and wait ten seconds

I had all 5 bars this morning without the clamp and still it wouldn't display a page. Im gonna have a breakdown soon :knuppel2:

Hinfrance

If you have a Sky router it has, if memory serves me, a 'WPS' button. The utility for the wifi card in the PC will probably have an easy setup page using WPS, something like this:

That may work. Or not. worth a try.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Karen

Ive disabled the wifi adapter and then enabled it again ...no joy

I also put the gateway address into the browser to reach the sky hub and it tells me everythings hunky dory...computers connected and wireless is enabled but no internet

Hinfrance

I know this will take up most of the rest of your life, but have you tried 'phoning Sky to see if their technical (ahem) people can help?

If everything worked before their router arrived then the most likely place for the problem to be located is somewhere in the router configuration.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

jinky

I feel for you Karen. I only agreed to upgrade my Virgin media stuff if they supplied the HD box and new router and set it all up before they left the house and I could check it was working because the last time when I got my own router I spent a long time conversing with some guy in India and then had to revert to email instructions when I told them my phone bill couldn`t take any bigger a hit!
I`ve no ideas but wish you luck

2Beers

make sure you have entered the WiFi security key properly

You could also try uninstalling the wifi adapter in device manager and then do a scan for new hardware and windows should redetect the wireless adapter

Alfonso_Frisk

Might be worth a try.
Go into your router/hub settings and change the channel number.
you may need to select manual and not automatic
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

oggalily

Karen, if you are still having issues, couple of things to try.

- First, did you try the Troubleshoot option in Network and Sharing Center?  It doesn't always give great information but could be a starting point. 

- One thing that interests me is that your main computer is connected via wifi.  Does it have a wifi card?  Can you check the settings?  Maybe "uninstall" the device in Device Manager and restart the computer - it should reinstall itself.

- Next I would try to connect with Ethernet, even if it means moving the computer to try this.  If it works with Ethernet then it is definitely a wifi configuration issue.

- Shut your computer off.  Shut off both your modem and router for at least 30 seconds.  Then turn them back in in the opposite order you turned them off. 

Sometimes the solution is not where you think it is.  I recently had a problem with my Sky box where no matter what button you pressed on the remote, the box would turn off. We ended up throwing the remote in the bin and had to use the iPad to control it, which worked OK.  However, the iPad Sky app doesn't allow you to turn the box on and off.  When I went up to the box to turn it on I realised there was a heavy speaker resting on the on/off button!  I had to fish the remote out of the rubbish  :-[ 

Andrew

Not heard that this has been resolved - so here is my two penneth worth...

Definitely give Sky a call - I've found their technical support very good. The network cable issue can be worked around because every thing is working ok.

One of the issues I found with Windows is the IP address lease. Not going into a long story, but despite router being on DHCP (auto mode in lay terms), it was having problems with the IP address, which was being resolved by setting it manually. But that was because I knew what to do.

But give the Sky people a call, you have nothing to lose. And if they can't fix it, you can still cancel the contract and move to some one else :-) Why? Because it never fully worked! :tup:
1 body, 1 lens, 1 flash gun, 1 tripod, 1 cable release & 1 filter. Keeping it simple!
(I lied, just got a second lens!)

Karen

Thanks all for input and trying to help. The new router dully arrived and still no joy. Not even the laptop would connect. 2 and a half hours after phoning Sky (thats how long I was on the phone) after having to go through all the diagnostics I had already done her answer was....I needed a new router!!!! :tup: now I know they are no experts and they just work through a series of screens which tell them what to tell you so theres was no point getting angry at the girl and I asked her to put me through to the department that cancelled the phone and broadband. They phoned me back and wanted to charge me an early termination fee....I think not says I (well I said more but you get the picture) I dully reminded her of tge somewhat large tv package that we have with them and the fact that they did not fulfil their side of the contract  and she decided to wave these fees
Upshot is we're going back to bt and because we put it in Sandys name we can take advantage of new customer benefits and are getting our broadband free for 6 months.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.