• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 249
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 61
  • Total: 61
millets
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Flash Photography Tips/How to's?

Started by Matthew, April 29, 2013, 09:56:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthew

I am having trouble exposing for shots using my speedlite....they are either over or under.....How do I get shots exposed correctly first time?......I am tight on funds so I bought a Yongnuo Speedlite YN560-III. Unfortunatley though, E-TTL support is not provided from my Canon as the flash isn't compatible, so I have to use manual on the flash to adjust the zoom and power output. Is there a basic rule of thumb for shooting with full manual flash?
Never argue with a stupid person, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

michaelb104

I have the same issues as you, lots of trial and error to get the right exposure.  I think the only way to get it right first time is to use a flash meter and looking at the prices they do not come cheap. 

I use a number of options, I tend to set the aperture and then adjust the speed in camera (within the sync speed limits of the flash).  The other option I use is to reduce the output power of the flash and I have even been known to move the flash further away or closer to the subject depending on if it is over or under exposed.

But at the end of the day I am still doing it by trial and error.

I am sure some of the more experienced on the site will know the answer.   
Mike

My Flickr   .   My Fluidr

Colin

Have a look at this series of articles.

Have a look at the articles in the drop down on the right side of this site

There are also some good articles here and here

A lot depends on what you are photographing, whether it is full flash or in-fill on or off camera. Answering these questions would give you some specific answers but in between times have a read of the articles in the links above and you should have a better starting point.

For instance I usually use manual 2 off camera flashes for weddings and end up at iso 100 f8 1/200 and then dial the flashes up and down to get the look I want I usually start at 50% and then look at the results to see whether I need to go up or down from there. For splash photography though I use iso 100 f22 1/200 darkened room three off camera flashes at 1/128 or 1/64. As I said it depends on what you are photographing.

Paul Montgomery

Hmm the yongnou guides on the web aren't very clear are they. One thing I did learn is that its GN is 58 at ISO 100. so try f/5.6 on a target 10m away as a starting point...

Matthew

Thanks Guys.......and cheers Colin, will be giving those links a read, incidently I am doing the photography for my Sisters wedding in September. I have never done flash photography before, my comfort zone is landscapes, macros and contraptions/machinery, basically anything that doesn't move from it's spot.... :D

I know Paul, you think thats bad.....you should see the manual! Badly translated Chinese, it's a wonder I got the thing to work in the first place!  ;D
Never argue with a stupid person, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Matthew

Quick update, I read through the links Colin provided and I set up my camera to f5.6 as Paul suggested. I had a wee go around the house and I found that if I set my camera to f5.6, ISO100 and a shutter of 1/20th, along with the flash set to output 1/4 and a zoom of 28mm, with the head pointing upwards (bouncing off the ceiling) I got some very pleasing shots. I found that for some subjects, if it was a tad dark, I simply adjust the flash output.

It's a small step, but I am beginning to understand the concept better now.

jinky

Yes just keep practising and make sure you bounce that flash at the wedding - getting it off camera when you can / if you can.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.