• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 158
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 145
  • Total: 145
  • Bingbot
aliexpress
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Chat thread for weekly competition - 17th Oct - 23rd Oct - Yin and Yang

Started by guy1970, October 18, 2011, 04:59:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guy1970

Chat Thread

This week's topic is Yin and Yang

An image depicting the concept of Yin and Yang. Incase you are unsure a description is here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yin_and_yang

Pictures to be taken between 00.01am Monday 17th October 2011 to 23:59 Sunday 23rd October 2011 .
Pictures to be posted in the entries thread no later than 23.59pm Monday 24th October 2011.
Poll will be up Tuesday 25th October 2011.
Winner to be announced Saturday 29th October 2011.

The Rules for the weekly competition are...

By entering you agree to take responsibility to
Post a topic on the Sunday following your declared win
Create an entries thread
Create a chat thread
Create a poll for that weeks comp and declare the winner on the Saturday
(if for any reason there is a problem and no subject is posted by the winner by Monday night admin will advise second place winner to post the topic asap, do the poll etc)

In case of a tie, the first entry posted wins.

Photos to be taken during the specified dates, ie Monday xx to Sunday xx

Pictures to be posted in the entries thread no later than 23.59 Monday night

Guy

Hinfrance

I don't understand the question  :uglystupid2:

But I did rename the second chat thread so there was only one and somewhere to put the entries . .
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Beaux Reflets

Do I take it as being seeking and photographing opposites, like hot and cold, dark and light, male and female etc., in a balanced cohesive composition.  :tup:

8) topic with lots of possibilities - Thinking cap on  :beer:
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Oldboy

Where am I going to find a Chinese couple called Yin and Yang?  :doh:  :2funny:

Reinardina

Quote from: Hinfrance on October 18, 2011, 05:51:01 PM
I don't understand the question  :uglystupid2:

But I did rename the second chat thread so there was only one and somewhere to put the entries . .

This, to me, is total gobbledygook!

Add to that a brief that will totally en wrap me, till I either suffocate or suddenly 'see the light.' (And the dark!)
The whole concept of Yin and Yang has always made me doubt my mental abilities; sometimes I totally 'get it,' and then I read/hear something that throws my so called understanding into disarray. 

With my simple mind, I get the simple explanation, but when people become really philosophical and 'difficult,' I get lost!

So, fingers crossed, I'll stay on the right track this time.

OB Here in Southampton are loads of Cinese students. Would you like me to hunt for your couple?

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

mondmagu

I like it Oldboy  :2funny:
I read the Wikipedia description and became totally confused :uglystupid2:

Des
Des
www.flickr.com/photos/mondmagu

Beaux Reflets

I have to admit this is a tricky, difficult, headache one for me too, unless it's all in the post processing  :-\

Reinardina

So pleased it isn't only me!

As I said, I seem to 'get it,' till I start thinking about it.

Markulous

I know it's not really YinYang-ish enough (or would that be Yin-ish & Yang-ish?) but this is my shot - bear with me as I expain that it's the inanimate large animal versus a lively (well, basking in the sun but definitely alive!) small insect. I give you Myth by Damien Hirst (with a fly on his nose!)

Canon 7D, Canon 70-200mm F/2.8

I'm not really a fan of Hirst, finding much of his work lacking in subtletly and overly relying on the shock factor but I do like Myth and Legend, two of the sculptures at Chatsworth's annual Beyond Limits which we visited yesterday (still time to see the exhibition and most of the work is still for sale........ if you've the odd few £10ks lying around!)
Whatever and ever. Amen
http://smg.photobucket.com/home/Markulous/index
Mark @ Photobucket

Hinfrance

Probably completely misunderstood the question, what with be an empirical reductionist kind of a guy.

Anyway, I figured mechanical yin yang. The ratchet is incomplete without the socket, the socket without the bolt, bolt without the washer, the washer and bolt without the nut, the nut without the spanner, and they're all complementary opposites.

and, of course, without the Goons for inspiration there would be no title ;)

Yin Yang Tiddle Aie Po:

Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Sarasocke

Nice one Howard!

I was hoping to get a photo of both my dogs together this afternoon - black + white, large + small, male + female and both would be lost without each other. Unfortunately I decided to give my D80 a run and ALL of the photos I took with it are rubbish. I think it's broken  :'(
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

Reinardina

Never would have thought of that Howard!

Sorry to hear about your camera troubles Carol.

My thoughts immediately turned to people, opposites, love etc. A typical female approach? Possibly.
My 'brilliant' idea was to ask two of my my fellow students - a nice dark skinned girl and a nice light skinned young man - to hold hands, as if walking, holding hands, like a couple in love. I was then going to photograph those hands from behind. Alas, the girl wasn't' there, due to a sick child. (Okay, she's not really a girl anymore, but who's to know?)

So I went out hunting for hand holding couples.

"Man and woman, husband and wife, poles apart, yet together. Finishing each other's sentences, arguing and making up, complementing each other. Two halves, one couple. Together into the autumn of their lives".

Markulous, your photo is not in the entry thread (yet?).

Beaux Reflets

You seem to be all leaving me behind - I came up with one idea and could not twist my limbs into the right position I had in my minds eye. Perhaps I'll have another crack at it tomorrow, or come up with another idea for a shot. Tough subject matter for me this week  ::)

Reinardina

Quote from: beauxreflets on October 22, 2011, 07:27:35 PM
You seem to be all leaving me behind - I came up with one idea and could not twist my limbs into the right position I had in my minds eye. Perhaps I'll have another crack at it tomorrow, or come up with another idea for a shot. Tough subject matter for me this week  ::)
Couldn't agree more about the toughness of the subject! Hope you'll manage something tomorrow.

Quote from: Markulous on October 22, 2011, 08:14:13 PM
Quote from: Reinardina on October 22, 2011, 06:42:01 PM
Markulous, your photo is not in the entry thread (yet?).

Thanks!

My pleasure!

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.