• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 26
  • Total: 26
7ds
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

The Olympics.

Started by ABERS, July 19, 2012, 02:29:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ABERS

I suppose there will be zillions of pictures taken of the Games themselves and activities surrounding them, so I thought I'd kick off a thread for such pictures here on CC.

We live on the Cycle Road Race and Time Trial routes, and the sculpture depicted here appeared overnight on the roundabout just along from us. It's the first thing to arouse any interest from me about the games! ;)

Olympic Cycling Sculpture by abers, on Flickr

Beaux Reflets

Hats off to the sculptor artist and the tog  :tup: I feel sure the artist would like your shot Alan, nice perspective etc..
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Reinardina

It is a good sculpture, at least you get something positive out of the menace you will have to endure, when you're virtually locked into your home.

I hardly dare confess it in public, but I'm not looking forward to the Olympics! Wished GB had never 'won' them.

I did go and see the torch though, simply because it was a 'once in a life time thing,' that I wanted to photograph.

It had a remarkable, positive influence on the Sotonians lining the route. Normally quite grumpy, everyone (including the police) was smiling and in a good mood; an amazing and uplifting experience.

My best shot of the torch itself, was when the torch bearer was already past me, so I singled it out and put it on a black background.

Here it is:

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Graham

Here's a few from when they were in Derby.

And the next morning as it left town at 6.30 in the morning. (At the bottom of our road.).

I agree with Reinardina about the the effect on the civic mood. Derby has a proud reputation for it's cynical attitude to such things, but everyone I spoke to were shocked at the size of the turnout.
                                             Graham.  :tup:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Reinardina

Great shots Graham. I recognise them, even though I've never been in your part of the world. I see your policemen were also doing 'high fives,' wonder if that was spontaneous?

We had the torch for two days as it spent the night here. Saturday it was raining, lots of umbrtellas and shininy pavements. Sunday it was fine.

irv_b

Three great sets of photos guys well done!
I'm another one who isn't looking forward to the games - I have had enough grief with the games lanes traffic already and it dont start (for the most part ) tilll next week! The torch passes along the end of my street mid morning on Monday but thankfully I will be at work so I wont be affected by the closures!
My Gallery

Don't count the days "Guest," make the days count!.

anglefire

Came to our town a week or so ago - I too was impressed with the turnout and the attitude of all.

I managed to get this one published in the local paper

----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Reinardina

Poor Irv. It will pass you know. (I hope.) But of course, we may get months of looking back at disasters and/or triumphs and in four years time, it will all be aired again.

Nice one anglefire. Double Whammy.

ABERS

The rush to get a front row seat for the Women's Road Race only just some twenty minutes away. ::)

Stalwart Spectators by abers, on Flickr

Oldboy

Quote from: ABERS on July 30, 2012, 08:40:27 AM
The rush to get a front row seat for the Women's Road Race only just some twenty minutes away. ::)

Stalwart Spectators by abers, on Flickr

I thought you were going to stay in bed while this Olympics madness was on?  :P

ABERS

I don't remember saying that Oldboy. ???

Here's what they looked like when the eventually turned up, and the rain held up for a few minutes!

It was all over in a flash, and then, (you musn't laugh), a support car went straight through the puddle and soaked me from head to foot! >:( Still, you must suffer for your art! :uglystupid2:

It gave the onlookers something to laugh about. :2funny:

Graham

Quote from: ABERS on July 30, 2012, 03:11:58 PM

Here's what they looked like when the eventually turned up, and the rain held up for a few minutes!

It was all over in a flash, and then, (you musn't laugh), a support car went straight through the puddle and soaked me from head to foot! >:( Still, you must suffer for your art! :uglystupid2:

You know the bit where you said we must'nt laugh?...I laughed so much I now have "laundry issues"!

:2funny:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Beaux Reflets

Hope your kit stayed dry Graham  ;) Some nice shots alround.
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Oldboy

Quote from: Graham on July 30, 2012, 05:06:48 PM

You know the bit where you said we must'nt laugh?...I laughed so much I now have "laundry issues"!

Weak bladder?  :-[ :o

ABERS

Quote from: Graham on July 30, 2012, 05:06:48 PM

Graham, may I point you in the direction of

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=tena+pants&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=7211212213&hvpos=1t3&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=379419368724624215&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&ref=pd_sl_9c2u2azc0u_e

:legit:

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.