• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 175
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 178
  • Total: 178
parkcameras
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Facebook Photo Competition

Started by Matthew, January 15, 2013, 10:52:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthew

Wide Format Solutions have been running a competition for the photo with the most likes.....the prize is the winning photo to be put onto canvas and vouchers. I initially entered, but have requested to be withdrawn as one "participant"....namely a Miss "Ali Bongo" has openly asked for folks to like or to get others to like her "photo" so she can win "£50 for cake"...this on it's own is enough to convince me the whole thing is a farce........she has "41 likes"...the best photo (not my own) has only a handful....her "winning shot so far" is this.........https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=512092862168990&set=a.510236082354668.127576.193286430716303&type=1&theater
Never argue with a stupid person, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Hinfrance

Et alors?

Not surprised Matt, it was always going to be a popularity contest - anything based on social media is lowest common denominator. You will note my continued absence there, as I have no friends!
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

jinky

Yes that`s why I would not enter such comps. I have to admit that the artistic tilt she has given to the dockland scene is probably what has tipped the scales in her favour though  ;).

Hinfrance

Quote from: jinky on January 16, 2013, 09:47:52 AM
Yes that`s why I would not enter such comps. I have to admit that the artistic tilt she has given to the dockland scene is probably what has tipped the scales in her favour though  ;).

I think she was just a bit tiddly and couldn't hold her 'phone straight  :uglystupid2:

Or maybe the weight of cakes in her handbag disturbed her equilibrium.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Matthew

Haha....I do like a wee rant. But I was feeling genuinely sorry for other participants who deserve to win. Ach well, I suppose when she gets it as a canvas it would look lovely on the toilet wall..... :2funny:
Never argue with a stupid person, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Reinardina

Quote from: Hinfrance on January 16, 2013, 08:20:55 AM
Et alors?

Not surprised Matt, it was always going to be a popularity contest - anything based on social media is lowest common denominator. You will note my continued absence there, as I have no friends!

You don't have to do anything to get friends on Facebook; just sit back and wait.

Years ago, when on holiday in Holland, I wanted to see what FaceBook was all about, as everyone was talking about it, so I registered, using the nom de plume I used for my creative writing.
Didn't like it and never went back.

For a couple of years I did not hear anything, but in the last year or so, I get emails once or twice a week, telling me I haven't visited in the last few days and how things have changed etc. (I don't open the mails, just read what is visible of the first line in Gmail.)

I also have regular 'friendship requests' and Facebook is giving me names of people 'I might know.'

I signed up in Holland, on the Dutch language edition of the site, but all the people who want to be friends, or whom 'I might know' all have English names.

Find it all very peculiar, and am determined not to get involved.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Oldboy

Quote from: Reinardina on January 16, 2013, 08:08:10 PM
I also have regular 'friendship requests' and Facebook is giving me names of people 'I might know.'

I signed up in Holland, on the Dutch language edition of the site, but all the people who want to be friends, or whom 'I might know' all have English names.

It appears they know what country and city you live in. Not sure if they use the voting register, which your local councils sells to anyone who wants to buy the information, or from your ISP. Either way your ID is valuable to lots of companies, to sell you rubbish or to commit fraud against you. You are a small fish in a vast pool filled with sharks.  :o

Reinardina

Quote from: Oldboy on January 16, 2013, 10:24:59 PM
Quote from: Reinardina on January 16, 2013, 08:08:10 PM

It appears they know what country and city you live in. Not sure if they use the voting register, which your local councils sells to anyone who wants to buy the information, or from your ISP. Either way your ID is valuable to lots of companies, to sell you rubbish or to commit fraud against you. You are a small fish in a vast pool filled with sharks.  :o

Don't know about that. The name I registered with is total 'fiction,' I registered in Holland, so from a Dutch ISP address, never visited the site via an English ISP, the emails are in Dutch, but the so called 'friends' and 'people I might know' all have English sounding names.
I suppose they must somehow originate from the 'mother site' in the States.

One of the reasons I do not want to join FaceBook is the fact they are so careless with people's details.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Beaux Reflets

Here is another comp found via FB with a nice 1st and 2nd prize.

http://www.minispace.com/en_us/background/23/

Note that the top 3 prizes are not reliant on any Vote count  :tup:
If you do pop in you can always vote on my entry -  Shy Satsuma  ;)
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.