• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 136
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 139
  • Total: 139
  • Google
Wish
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

CHAT thread weekly challenge 17 - 23 Aug Subject: TOOLS OF THE TRADE

Started by oggalily, August 17, 2015, 12:27:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oggalily

The subject this week is "tools of the trade".  Interpret how you like, but this could be anything from hand tools to paintbrushes to guitars - whatever someone might use in their job or hobby.   Or maybe a more creative interpretation that I haven't thought of!

No restrictions on PP.

Pictures to be taken between now, 17 August 2015 to 23:59 Sunday 23 August 2015 .
Pictures to be posted in the entries thread no later than 23.59pm Monday 25 August 2015.
Poll will be up Tuesday 25 August 2015.
Winner to be announced Saturday 29 August 2015.

The Rules for the weekly competition are...

By entering you agree to take responsibility to

Post a topic on the Sunday (or sooner) following your declared win
Create an entries thread
Create a chat thread
Create a poll for that weeks comp and declare the winner on the Saturday
(if for any reason there is a problem and no subject is posted by the winner by Monday night admin will advise second place winner to post the topic asap, do the poll etc)

In case of a tie, the first entry posted wins.

Photos to be taken during the specified dates, ie Saturday xx to Sunday xx

Pictures to be posted in the entries thread no later than 23.59 Monday night.

DigiDiva

It's been very quiet in here! I have a couple of ideas in mind...specifically because there's DIY going on here at home. Hubby has erected a bed, laid a carpet, has a curtain pole to hang up, has a door to re-hang and some flat pack furniture to put together. If I can't get an image from that,  I might as well give up.

I call him DIY Dave not because he's good at it, but because he is pants at it......
Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

Hinfrance

We have some (rather trying) house guests at the moment - going home this afternoon. Normal service may then be resumed :)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Reinardina

Quote from: Hinfrance on August 21, 2015, 08:47:17 AM
We have some (rather trying) house guests at the moment - going home this afternoon. Normal service may then be resumed :)

That seems to be too regular an occurrence H.
I would have thought, you'd have worked out something to discourage them, by now.

Do you 'pay' these people back, by staying with them, as trying house guests?

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Hinfrance

Some of our guests are wonderful, but this week's have been a challenge. The son is borderline Aspergers, always angry, slams every door, stares inanely, never says please or thank you, but follows rules obsessively, only responds to others if he feels like it.

Anyway, we have decided that we shall have fewer visitors next year, although I am tempted to reprise "Worfstock" next year as it was a real hoot.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Reinardina

Yes, Borderline can be very demanding.

Now, would Worstock not mean even more visitors next year? Especially as everyone had a ball, and a lot of booze?

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Hinfrance

Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Hinfrance

I've got an idea for a picture I shall try to realise this afternoon. If it works that'll be great, if not it's go with the climbing gear.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

DigiDiva

Im torn between 2 images............grrrrr!!!! Do I go for a one bang on theme but less photo technical, or go for the one more photo technical but is a slight twist on the theme?

Decided.......

The Chefs Tool Of The Trade - Ingredients

DigiDiva

This is the other one I had but its a bit lacking in technical ability

kerbside

Would of thought that the second one was correct for the topic, the first one is a bit left field as in my opinion a Chefs "tools of the trade" would be knives, saucepans etc: but then again what do I know?
Is it not like saying that a car is a mechanics tool when in fact the spanners, sockets etc: are?

You have to be in to win but winning is not everything, it's participating that counts.
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/kerbside

DigiDiva

Im not sure I fully agree as the oven would be the mechanics car where as the ingredients would be the mechanics car parts....

kerbside

Quote from: DigiDiva on August 24, 2015, 09:15:06 PM
Im not sure I fully agree as the oven would be the mechanics car where as the ingredients would be the mechanics car parts....
So yes i agree with this so if his car parts are a mechanics ingredients then a pepper or carrot or any other veg: would be a Chefs ingredients and NOT his tools of the trade.

A mechanics tools of the trade are his spanners, likewise the Chefs tools of the trade would be his knives etc: NOT the ingredients.

You have to be in to win but winning is not everything, it's participating that counts.

DigiDiva

Well.......we could probably make a similar comment on everyones entry. Maybe if I had called it the tools of a market trader, a grocer or a vegetarian.......

kerbside

Quote from: DigiDiva on August 24, 2015, 11:26:39 PM
Well.......we could probably make a similar comment on everyones entry. Maybe if I had called it the tools of a market trader, a grocer or a vegetarian.......

Totally disagree again, a saw is a tool, ballet shoes are a tool, a rake is a tool and a tractor is a tool of the respective trade, however for a chef you could take a picture of a cake, lamb, cow or even a Kangaroo, these are not his tools, they are ingredients. I think that you are missing the point Chris and for that reason I will end this now before it goes any further and withdraw my entry, had the theme been "Red" then your pepper would be spot on.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.