• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 249
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 59
  • Total: 59
wex
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Editing on larger screens-how big is yours?

Started by Trickee, September 03, 2009, 07:42:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trickee

I currently edit on a 17inch screen and am toying with the idea of going large 20 or 22 inch. has anyone found any benefits from working on a larger screen. :-\

Colin

I have a 22" having upgraded from a 17". The difference is incredible. I don't have to hide the tool bars in Photoshop or Lightroom, I can have multiple documents open side by side for editing. Once you have a large monitor you will wonder how you ever managed with a small one.

Lot's of innuendo could go with this answer but I'll leave that to others. :)

Trickee

thank you for that Colin  :tup:  i edit mainly in capture NX and once the tool bars kick in there's not much space left for the image. :)

CML-1591

24 inches, it has some benefits, mainly on macs i feel, but you wont want to go back to 17 inches

JR will probably come along in a few and mention his 30 inches or something...
Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment. - Ansel Adams,

Oldboy

Quote from: CML-1591 on September 03, 2009, 09:07:51 PM
24 inches, it has some benefits, mainly on macs i feel, but you wont want to go back to 17 inches

17 inches! We used to use ten and twelve inch monitors and thought fourteen inch was the best you could get! Mine was a CRT 14inch and cost £299.99 in 1992.  :'(

And I've still got it!  ;D

oRGie

I use my sony 40" sometimes with my media pc for editing in front of other people, mates having a beer and a laugh sort of thing, well its an old pc thats still good for normal stuff and was upgraded by my newer pc for battlefield2 lol, thats fun, but the res doesnt actually give me more desktop space. Normally I use my hpw2207 22" of loveliness, because the res is higher than the tv I get more desktop space. I would consider a 24" now though as the 22" tft doesnt tire my eyes like a 22" crt I used to have at work, that was blinding and gave me headaches even calibrated. So when I upgraded my old 19" crt at home I chose 22", if I had known how much easier on the eye a tft was I may have gone for a 24"....

Trickee

crikey 24 inch  ;D ;D might need another room for that one.

anglefire

I went from a 17 to 22" widescreen - and then also plugged the 17" into the PC - so now I have my pallets, actions etc on the 17" and the image on the 22"

Works for me!  :tup:
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

spinner

I have my PC hooked up to my 52" LG lcd tv. I can tell you that the start up screen looks smashing. As soon as I've figured out how to get my wireless mouse and keyboard to work I'll be flying! :2funny:
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

oRGie

Quote from: spinner on September 04, 2009, 01:10:41 AM
I have my PC hooked up to my 52" LG lcd tv. I can tell you that the start up screen looks smashing. As soon as I've figured out how to get my wireless mouse and keyboard to work I'll be flying! :2funny:

I use a tv transmitter to send the signal round the house, when that is switched on my wireless keyboard doesnt work due to interferance, so if you have anything like that running it may be the problem..

Jonathan

Quote from: CML-1591 on September 03, 2009, 09:07:51 PM

30 inches?  How could I get by with so little......?

Desktop has twin Dell 20 inch widescreens running at 1680X1050.  I think ideally I'd run 1 X 30 and 1 X 20 but that gets expensive and needs a big desk.  I like the Dells because I can spin them round and work in portrait which makes a h-u-g-e difference when you are editing portraits.

Gallery machine is hardwired to a 40 inch Samsung TV.  Lots of tinkering has it running at 1600 X 900 which actually looks pretty nice at 40 inches.  Higher res isn't stable due to the length of cable I use (Mac is in one room, screen and wireless keyboard in another).  I don't do any editing on the 40" but lots of people comment on how bright and sharp the pics look.
It's Guest's round

greypoint

Jonathan

Quote from: greypoint on September 04, 2009, 08:19:00 AM
You make some of us feel so inadequate ::)
Did I mention I do this for a living....? :)

If using twin 20s saves me half an hour a day shuffling windows and a lovely 40" books be one more job then my accountant says "go play".
It's Guest's round

hevans

Quote from: Jonathan on September 04, 2009, 08:14:23 AM
Gallery machine is hardwired to a 40 inch Samsung TV.  Lots of tinkering has it running at 1600 X 900 which actually looks pretty nice at 40 inches.  Higher res isn't stable due to the length of cable I use (Mac is in one room, screen and wireless keyboard in another).  I don't do any editing on the 40" but lots of people comment on how bright and sharp the pics look.

How long is the cable and what are you using to connect them? I've been thinking of running a cable from the PC to the Samsung TV but need ~15m of cable (maybe more). Are you using VGA cables, HDMI, and can you provide a reasonable source for them?

(this is to get the BBC Iplayer running on the TV, not photographs, but that would be an obvious benefit - but for photos, I can just pull them directly from the network disk using the TV alone).

Ta.
H.

Jonathan

I'm using a DVI to HDMI cable (note: this will NOT provide audio).  IIRC it's 5 metres.  I'm pretty sure I bought it here.

Almost certainly the middle grade one.

Doing it all over again I might pay the extra for the QED one.

Since I know you're dying to know.....sound goes out of the Mac into a Cambridge Audio amp and is then fed onwards to 6 speakers round the gallery (4 in viewing room, 2 in the gym).  Since this is nowhere near cool enough to show off, I just patched a Sonos system in to handle music running off the NAS and Napster  ;).  It's very (very) nice.
It's Guest's round

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.