• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 102
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 77
  • Total: 77
bhphotovideo
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

What bemused you today?

Started by greypoint, August 24, 2009, 07:51:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greypoint

Have just read in the local paper two items - the first being the stretch of road I have to walk down to reach my riverside walk has officially been named amongst the most dangerous stretches of road in the county. Number 11 I think. The second being planning permission being sought for the allotments which are on the other side of the brook which runs behind my neighbours house - initially for 31 dwellings including a block of flats which will provide a 'focal point' and overlook our gardens - but they believe there's scope for 60. There looks about room for 10! There's no access at present which means knocking down a house on the road that leads directly to that most dangerous stretch and is already coping with far more traffic than it can with a lot more homes already in the pipeline. Now where I live is technically a flood plain although improvements have meant it's been about 25 years since there were problems, but these allotments provide a soakaway for rain and if there are any problems it won't be them that get them but those of us who are lower down. I'm beginning to despair. I thought at least when I bought my bungalow that everywhere around it that could be developed had been. Just above these allotments they're clearing an old factory site which will no doubt have a couple of hundred 'luxury apartments' - and of course they don't need to provide open space because they're next door to the park - it'll be standing room only in the summer months!!
Talk about don't fence me in >:(  It's not as though we're not doing our bit - there's around 3.500 new homes to be built when they finally get round to starting the western development area. Oh, and if course, there's more applications going in for 5,000 at the top end of town - heavily opposed - again the infrastructure just can't cope. Just hope the Tories are true to their word [well you can hope!] - they're advising councils to be careful about planning permissions in the next few months as they might be revoked.

ABERS

Blimey, where's everyone going to work? I lived in Rushden for about 10 years back in the 60-70's and it was never a hive of industry with the boot and shoe trade shrinking by the month. Mind you it seemed that there were giant warehouse complexes mushrooming all over the place, I suppose they need manpower all the time.

greypoint

They're promoting Wellingborough with posters on the London underground as a commuter town :o You should read some of the descriptions in the bumf they give out when they're trying to shift some of the flats no-one wants. There are already some houses nearby that were completed nearly 3 years ago and have never been lived in - the only occupied flats are those allocated to social housing. But, as you say, plenty of warehouses for the eastern Europeans to work in - not enough schools, overcrowded roads and one hospital 8 miles away struggling to cope with the massive expansion of three towns and surrounding villages. Our local MP was told we must just build the houses and the facilities and new roads will surely follow.Thanks Two Jags!! >:( South Northants is still nice in many areas - but that makes it pricey. At least the recession has slowed things down a bit - and the developers are trying to wriggle out of some of their obligations re infrastructure. Our wonderful new town centre plans have had to be downgraded too - bit of a dump now...has been for some time. Where I am is quite pleasant being tucked away in a cul de sac...until they build behind us that is :o :o

Mick

???  Have they removed the redirect over at at PR?  The old DC mag link no longer takes me to PR.  Seems a bit soon, or is it just me.  ;)
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

greypoint

greypoint

Hmmm - when DCMag was sending out it's exclusive invites to members to join photoradar I never received a single email...now, in spite of unchecking the box as I don't want to receive receive their monthly newsletter etc. ....I've had two! :doh: :doh:

Eileen

Quote from: greypoint on September 25, 2009, 06:21:23 PM
Hmmm - when DCMag was sending out it's exclusive invites to members to join photoradar I never received a single email...now, in spite of unchecking the box as I don't want to receive receive their monthly newsletter etc. ....I've had two! :doh: :doh:

:2funny: :2funny: You just have to laugh at it all sometimes.

CML-1591

Quote from: admin on September 25, 2009, 08:42:38 AM
???  Have they removed the redirect over at at PR?  The old DC mag link no longer takes me to PR.  Seems a bit soon, or is it just me.  ;)

It still directs me to it PR, don't see why don't think i'll use it.
Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment. - Ansel Adams,

picsfor

The Labour Party conference is about to kick off and we were blessed with perfect timing.
Police are every where taping everything up to satisfy themselves it has been checked and doesn't contain any Semtex.
Just waiting to see all the compartments to my camera get taped up until next week when the party has left town again.

WE even have detectors on the prom this year - a new one even for me.
I'm gonna try for some shots of all the security stuff in place - it's just amazing...

Oh how the party goers are gonna suffer this week with the PM sleeping right next to their favourite night clubs!

greypoint

But surely they're so popular everywhere no-one would want to harm them :doh: :2funny:

Alfonso_Frisk

Well the tories escaped Brighton and that led to Thatcher punishing every working class man woman and child in the country afterwards
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

greypoint

Mmm...not sure the two things were related ::)

picsfor

is that doing the rounds again?
I seem to recall a couple of the tabloids using this theme to modify some of the more famous pictures like the Moon Landing of '69 or England winning the World Cup in '66 etc.

Great story though.

spinner

A certain photo mag, whose web site died recently, keeps sending me email reminding me of the pending closing date for their photographer of the year contest. So I decided as a lark to see what the categories were again. Click on a link and it goes nowhere.  :o
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.