• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 158
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 60
  • Total: 60
bhphotovideo
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Russian weddings

Started by nickt, April 15, 2011, 01:07:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickt

picsfor

tacky by todays standards - but back in the days of film, some of those pics were much sought after. Thankfully i never engaged in setting up a dark room when i dabbled with wedding photography, otherwise i could have caused myself some problems...

The faces in a glass is still a favourite, i believe, amongst some togs - judging by some of the pics i've seen.

Some of the ideas are nice - just the implementation that's bad...

But then, the wall only came down 20 years ago!  :uglystupid2:

Graham

Well yes. Very nice and thanks for posting.
                So who's going to come and help me pick these pieces of carrot out of my keyboard?
                                         Graham.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

nickt

Quote from: Graham on April 15, 2011, 04:48:39 PM
  Well yes. Very nice and thanks for posting.
                So who's going to come and help me pick these pieces of carrot out of my keyboard?
                                         Graham.

:2funny:

Oldboy

Quote from: nickt on April 15, 2011, 01:07:25 PM
Apparently this is a new trend in Russia. Dodgy wedding photos.

http://uk.royalwedding.yahoo.com/blogs/awfully-photoshopped-russian-wedding-photos-4539
Nick

I hope JR doesn't see this, as it will be his next craze?  :doh: :tup:

Jonathan

It's Guest's round

Simple

Funnily enough, just the other day someone asked me if I could do the faces in champagne glasses for a wedding album. The client is always right, as long as they are happy and pay. I have quickly found out that pictures I laugh about are much adored by others and pictures I think are very good do not even get a second glance from the client and are quickly dismissed. For that reason I spend now twice as long before the wedding trying to get to understand their taste. This is the hardest part IMO of wedding photography. I also cannot afford to wait for potential clients to come for my "style" of pics. I cater for everybody.  I am sure that the people on these pictures are/were very happy with the results.
Personally I also think they are very funny and tasteless, but as I said before......

Jonathan

>> Funnily enough, just the other day someone asked me if I could do the faces in champagne glasses for a wedding album.

FOR REAL???

People joke about that a lot but I haven't heard of an authentic case for a while.  Would love to see that ;)

>> The client is always right, as long as they are happy and pay.

Now there's an interesting point.  My own version is "you never win an argument with a client" (i.e. you agree or you walk).  This is something that usually gets pitched into the spot colour debate.  Do you do what your client asks no matter how much it offends your "artistic" view or do you maintain that your brand is more valuable than a single client?

Discuss?  (But not too much - FWIW the 3 most contentious discussions in wedding photography are this one, what do you wear and do you get fed).
It's Guest's round

Beaux Reflets

Well the customer is always right and assuming they have requested your services based on said 'artistic' brand aspect, where's the problem ?

Wear a T shirt with 'official tog' slogan so that guests do not constantly stand in the line of fire.

And always remember to tell your client you cannot work on an empty stomach  :2funny:  :legit:
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Simple

LOL, Yes, the food/drink issue became obvious during my first "official" wedding. I always make a point of mentioning this now. You get good at remembering the Groom's room number.
Jonathan, I am partner in a High street shop/studio. This is rural Lincolnshire. We take pictures of chickens/cats/dogs/pigeons as well as people portraits. We cover boxing/MMA events and motor/car racing. We also do weddings and we just about get by. We even advertise Birthday parties for young girls to come and have their pictures taken in the studio with make up and props so they feel like "American next top model".A studio full of screaming 11-13 year old girls is migraine and High Blood Pressure material. We cannot afford to loose clients because of infringement of self imposed artistic values. We are trying to establish a business with an income first, we will streamline and build on a "style" afterwards. I realise this is not ideal, but our thoughts are that if we can build a business in these hard economic times we will be al-right when things improve. Keeping the business alive is number one priority.

Jonathan

>> We cannot afford to loose clients because of infringement of self imposed artistic values.

There you go.  Informed choice ;)  You choose to agree rather than walk.

If you get chance to hear him cheap/free then listen to Tero Sade.  Inspiring story of how he built a high end portrait business in one of the poorest areas of Australia (though TBH I think he's been close to bankruptcy about 3 times).

When you can you do what you want, the rest of the time you do what you must.  Been there...

And I still want to see the brandy glass ;)
It's Guest's round

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.