• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 157
  • Total: 157
wex
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

online proofing site...which one???

Started by Rick Wilks, May 10, 2010, 09:29:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Wilks

Recently my motorsports photography has taken off at such a pace I'm starting to struggle to keep up with the demand for my pics after an event. I was just putting watermarked copy's on my website and emailing high res versions once I'd received payment. This was working fine until I found myself not being able to keep up, so far I haven't messed up but if this happens at the next event I shoot I'm defiantly going to struggle.

I went onto Smugmug and thought WOW!! this is easy but then found out they only accept payment in USD and that's not really anygood for me.

I've googled until my fingers hurt and then thought of you guys n gals.. :doh:

HELP!!!   :-\

Simple

Jonathan

If you want a "full service" site then AFAIK in the UK your only choices are Photobox and Zenfolio.  And Zenfolio use Photobox for fulfillment....

If you want to do your own fulfillment then I'd strongly recommend a look at Photocart (http://www.picturespro.com/pages/photography_shopping_cart/)
It's Guest's round

Eileen

Just found this. I'm hoping it will prove useful for selling some extra prints of my wedding work. Photobox looks good so I'm trying it for now. Thanks for the info.

Does anyone sell prints directly from their own website, and if so, which sites? By selling directly I meaning having customers order from the websiite and getting prints without you having to make it happen. I'm looking at Photium but as far as I can make out customers can order from the site but the order will come to me rather than going directly to a printer. I may have got that wrong as I'm new at this and still trying to find my way round. Normally I do my own prints but for multiple copies and large numbers that's not very practical or economic so I'm looking for a good quality online option, ideally integrated into a website that will also host portfolio images, news and updates so it's all together.

Any help or positive suggestions would be gratefully received.

picsfor

what about Loxley?

Have they fallen out of favour now? They were always one of the first to be recommended...

Eileen

I believe they are very high quality, but don't think customers can order their own prints direct from them. Last time I looked at their site it wasn't particularly user-friendly, though I'm sure it's fine once you know your way round.

Jonathan

Quote from: Eileen on June 22, 2010, 09:18:26 PM
Does anyone sell prints directly from their own website, and if so, which sites? By selling directly I meaning having customers order from the websiite and getting prints without you having to make it happen.

No.  I've looked at this a number of times and decided I don't want to do it for practical reasons.

Forget canvases etc, biggest print I'll sell unmounted is 12X18.  To get a decent print the file is going to be about 1MB.  So....if I proof 350 images from a wedding and I want to be able to sell a 12X18 of any one of them that's 350 MB I have to upload to a web server and 350 MB storage I have to pay for per wedding (even if storage is "free" they are going to charge for it somehow...).

If I just upload display images and do my own fulfilment a file will be 60 - 100 K and the whole wedding might be 30 - 35 MB.  Plus I don't have to worry about high res files being on the web if the lab security isn't what it should be.

I have the hassle of collating orders, printing, packaging and taking to the post office.  But at least I get the chance to check every print that goes out with my name on it and use my own branded packaging.

I'm pretty sure the only sites that will do what you want in the UK are Photobox and ZenFolio (a MUCH prettier front end for P'box).
It's Guest's round

Eileen

Cheers Jonathan. Food for thought in what you say, as always.

Concerns over quality and consistency of output are a main reason why I currently print all my own pictures but I wanted a simpler and less time-intensive solution for bulk orders of prints. Photobox's Pro gallery looks quite nice and will be easy for customers to use, they offer print profiles and reasonable quality output and the cost price of their prints is considerably less than from my high-end inkjet.

Decisions, decisions...  :-\

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.