• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 158
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 45
  • Total: 45
aliexpress
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Litter or rubbish - Chat Thread for comp 8th-15th jan 2017

Started by jinky, January 08, 2017, 12:28:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jinky

Chat Thread - Litter or Rubbish- Weekly Challenge 8th January 2017 to 15th January 2017

THIS IS THE CHAT THREAD

This week's theme is Litter or rubbish.

Amazed at the amount of rubbish I saw this morning as I dropped my wife off in town. No doubt a Saturday night thing before the Sunday am clean up but  thought that will do as a theme. However you wish to portray this symptom of the modern throwaway society

No restrictions on PP.

Pictures to be taken preferably between now and Sunday 15th January 2017, 23:59, but if you find yourself at a loss in this time period, please enter something from your personal archives.
Pictures to be posted in the entries thread no later than 23:59pm Monday 16th January 2017.
Poll will be up Tuesday 17th January 2017.
Winner to be announced Saturday 21st January 2017

The Rules for the weekly competition are...

By entering you agree to take responsibility to

Post a topic on the Sunday (or sooner) following your declared win
Create an entries thread
Create a chat thread
Create a poll for that weeks comp and declare the winner on the Saturday
(if for any reason there is a problem and no subject is posted by the winner by Monday night admin will advise second place winner to post the topic asap, do the poll etc)

In case of a tie, the first entry posted wins.

jinky

Come on - don`t let me down. I want to see loads of rubbish entries  :D ;) :legit:

Reinardina

Having been a rubbish photographer for years, I should have plenty in the archives. I'll have a browse, while waiting for the printer ink to arrive.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Hinfrance

The way the weather has been this week so far I might be posting a picture 'rubbish as seen through fog'.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

jinky

All the street rubbish has been blown miles away by strong winds here!

Reinardina

Quote from: jinky on January 12, 2017, 09:02:54 AM
All the street rubbish has been blown miles away by strong winds here!

You must have got the rubbish from 'up wind' then?

Here it is bucketing down; any rubbish will probably floating down the road, but it is too wet to try and trace, let alon photograph it.

jinky

To be fair I hadn`t seen any around the house but as I was driving the cvity seems remarkably clean considering the winds

jinky

Went to town yesterday aiming to get a rubbish picture and it drizzled most of the day so this is the only one I took. In my last months in Leeds regeneration work I tried to persuade Leeds City Council cleansing to invest in these Big Belly bins.  They are solar powered with a battery inside that powers a mechanism to compact trash and alert the owner when it is 85% full and needs to be emptied online. A stubbing plate was added to let people stub and then pout into the bin their dog ends. I first saw them in Helsinki some years back on a trip and came back with pictures and details to be told by LCC we have not got the money to invest i that grade of equipment. They`ve since removed many bins, especially dog poo bins,encouraging owners to take that home and do the same with rubbish in certain parkland. the result is more mess and the development of artistic installations where dog owners take the trouble to put their dogs waste in multi coloured bags which they then hand on trees, place under stones or by walls or paths. God it would be better if they left the actual poo bare to rot than do this. For this picture it was good for me to see that LCC have invested in a limited number of the machines - costing £1k-1200 pa to lease- but amazing that people stub a cigarette out and leave it on top rather than pull the handle down and throw it inside as required. As I took this picture 4 Sainsbury`s staff members having a cig break  next to it asked what I was doing and put theirs on top. Only one picked it up and placed it inside when I explained how the bins worked and how the were abusing an expensive resource! Amazing!

Reinardina

As my camera has not been out of the house for ages now, I had to delve into the archives to find some rubbish.

This is quite an old shot, or a series rather, taken in Lakeside Country Park, after a litter blitz. The huge dildo had us in stitches for the rest of the day; such a preposterous thing, to see hanging in a shrub.

We too, have problems with dog walkers who 'bag up,' and then hang the bag in a tree, throw it in a bush, or down a slope, where we, in due time, have to deal with it, when we are cutting back unwanted growth. If only they used their scoop to put the (unwrapped) 'gift' in an 'out of the way' place, where it would decompose naturally.

Lost or discarded

Oldboy

There is always lots of rubbish dumped around Sandwell Valley. Except this week!  :doh: Even the rubbish bins in Park Farm are plied high with rubbish except not this week.  ??? All I managed to find was this carpet dumped by the river at Forge Mill. I like the fact someone has gone to the trouble of neatly folding the carpet then, wrapped it in tape before dumping it at a nature reserve. They could have taken it to the local council dump but instead chose to dump it here.  >:(

jinky

Funnily enough I saw virtually no litter anywhere when I went out to take the shot. As I`s suspected I`d caught the city pre-morning clean up when I was prompted to name the comp theme - I`m glad to say. My best shot would have been the one on the way home last night when the local tip  entrance was still flanked by mattresses, headboards, rubbish bags that had been dumped by someone too lazy to even check on opening times who`d thought "Well it`s not coming back. No doubt it had been there since the night before and the tip doors had only been open 7 hours. I guess they`ll give in and move it eventually but it must annoy them!

Hinfrance

Tip opening hours are the bane of my life (well, not really, but annoying). I reckon that around 40% of the trips I make there are wasted, because they keep changing the opening hours. And sometimes they aren't open even when the panel says they should be. Or I'm turned away because skip x is full and they can't take any more for that one until the truck has come to replace it with an empty one. I have no idea how much fuel and time is wasted by recycling centres not only because they have to be driven to in the first place, but also because you (I) often make more than one (20km there and back) trip. Recycling is a completely bogus exercise anyway: the only things worth recycling are aluminium, circuit boards, copper, and arguably steel. The rest takes more energy and processing to recycle than it does to manufacture in the first place. The most sensible thing to do with most rubbish is to burn it in a high temperature combined heat and power station.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

jinky

We`re lucky. Ours is 5 minutes away and hours are clear and kept to. They move on the electrical / pc / clothing / card / paper Ok + glass that they now use in road surfaces ground up. Leeds has just got one of those incinerators. I keep meaning to go and have a look at it as they`ve build it in eco friendly way and it looks strange from a distance but good use of waste as it powers a lot of homes. That said it took nearly 15 years to agree where it would be sited  and finally went to their first choice place - the usual south Leeds postcode that has the swage works , traveller encampments etc. People living in that area don`t get their vocies heard like the middle classes!

Reinardina

Both litter and rubbish! Pity I did not see this in time for the competition.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.