• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 211
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 230
  • Total: 230
photobox
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

5DII vs 7D

Started by oRGie, October 19, 2009, 04:50:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

picsfor

i know what you mean Martin - i was a tad confused by the conclusion- given that they introduced the camera as being the product of much consultation with action pros and keen amateurs alike!

And then they're going to put it up against a D300s for comparison?

Bit like putting an Airbus A380 up against against Boing Dreamliner!

minky_monkey

Mind you, I thought most of their reviews were muddled in this months mag.

Can someone please explain what the point of the luxury lens test was?  Loads of different types of lens, for different fit cameras and then to pick a best one out of the lot?

They`re losing the plot....

picsfor

Like site, like mag - wonder what will die first - the site or the mag?

Though in fairness i was tempted to go for that 'Oly' lens they raved on about if i can get it in a Canon fit  ;D

hssutton

Had very little time to use my new toy (illness in the family) , but on the way to Lincoln hostpital on Sunday I spotted an hang glider paitently waiting for lift off. Was far to cold for me to hang around :)

Harry

anglefire

There is a RC version of ACR 5.6 and LR 2.6 http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/Camera_Raw_5.6

Supports the 7D amongst others.

Might be of use?
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Oldboy

Quote from: picsfor on November 14, 2009, 07:43:05 PM
Like site, like mag - wonder what will die first - the site or the mag?

The site as it's still full of bugs.  :(

jimthetrain

I'm finding this offer too tempting. Must resist.

Canon 7D + ef-s 18-135 is + free speedlite 580 for £1499 at wilkinsons.

Must keep card in wallet. AAARRGHHH

EDIT. Now gone up £50 (6hrs later)
BOOZE!!! Helping ugly people have sex.

picsfor

not really a bargain for you when you think about it Jim.

You could buy a body and flash for pretty much the same price already, Why would you want the lens?
You've already got better!

jimthetrain

I agree,the lens probably isn't up to much but even the body + flash is about a £100 saving. :tup: You can always ebay the lens if no good for a small sum which only brings the price down further. I all ready have a speedlite 430 but the 580 would be a handy addition.  ::)

jimthetrain

You only enjoy life once so I blew £1500 on the above combination. ::) The lens is pretty good for a cheapy. Just tried the wireless flash function with the two speedlites as slaves and the on board flash with the kit lens and you can zoom all the way in on the back screen  and it's still sharp as anything. Pretty impressed really (easily pleased you might say.) They discontinued the offer the day after. :D The only thing I've noticed on the con side is a red tinge in some shots where there is no red at all (shot with the 70-200 2.8 L is). Was mentioned in the review in Outdoor Photography mag as well. Missing the grip though with a heavy lens on. Just got to fix the 40D now and sell the 1D or sell them both or keep them both. I'm not one for getting rid of things. ;D

skellum

I did say I would buy your 1D...... if you bought a 5 D...... See you in the little stars ( Pub ) to discuss...... :beer:.... :legit:

picsfor

Jim,

you will find the 7D great for in cab shots and if you have an offer on the 1D then take it - that will help balance the books out a bit.
I'm looking at my 2nd body (hate having a single body) and still don't know whether to get a 7D (£500 cheaper) or another 5D MkII (same as i have and am so familiar with it's "traits's").

The red tinge you talk of should be sorted out with an in camera setting change or a software upgrade. Do not think Canon would let that go for too long given how much they have put into this camera.

jimthetrain

Quote from: Dave on February 02, 2010, 12:33:54 AM
I did say I would buy your 1D...... if you bought a 5 D...... See you in the little stars ( Pub ) to discuss...... :beer:.... :legit:

I hadn't forgot Dave. Only picked  the new one up last thursday so was in no rush to get rid as the 40D is crocked. As you say, we'll talk about it later.

Andrew, I nearly went for a 5D but wanted the extra reach of the 7D for my cricket photos and apart from the size, it's basically a newer version of the 1Dmkll. Plus the fact that at least all my lenses fit it and would only have a couple that fit a 5D. The pictures at 6400 iso in a darkened room are quite usable too.  I love the speed of the auto focus as well. I just need some time off work now to go out and play with it properly.

Hope you are on the mend. Don't be using all your sick days up before the spring. ;D

picsfor

Jim,

i think the 7D is for wildlife/ action photographers. As you say, an updated 1D MkII (dare i say 1D MkIII) for a lot loss bucks.
Not seen a bad review yet - and the pictures seem quite nice as well. 18mp crop sensor producing file sizes almost the same as a 5D MkII or 1DsMkIII - can't fault it.

I'm not so much of an action/ wildlife photographer so the 5D MkII really does suit my needs. The only action shots i really take are trains and i can work them out with ease - even manual focus if needed!
(how sad is that?)
Focusing speed and lock is my only gripe wit the 5D MkII - it is slow and can be fickle! And yet at high iso it flies (6400, 12,800 or 25600)

oRGie

Gratz Jim :)   I'm sure you will love it..  Dont be scared to use 12800iso either, just remember it likes a good exposure to avoid noise, if you overexpose just a tad it gives amazing results..  Have fun with the Af options and no more need to focus and recompose, all the af points do a fantastic job. (set the multiway joystick to choose af points, so quick and easy that way)   :beer:

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.