• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 61
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 44
  • Total: 44
bhphotovideo
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Elements 10

Started by krennon, December 06, 2011, 06:59:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

krennon

Does anybody have any recommendations for a guide book for Elements 10, I've been having a look on Amazon and there are loads with mixed reviews, I don't mind working from a book, but hate ALT & TAB to flick between programs on the computer so would prefer to have an idiot guide on how to that I can refer to...If anyone has any ideas of what is a good buy I would appreciate it...and doesn't have to be elements 10 if you've used a version 7,8,9 book that is now available for 10 that worked let me know
http://www.flickr.com/photos/keithfransella/

"Everything in moderation including moderation" Oscar Wilde

michaelb104

Hi Keith
I have the Elements 7 for Dummies book but only looked through the first couple of chapters and then gave up as I thought it was aimed at people who think a mouse is something that eats cheese and lives in a hole in your skirting board.

When I was looking for a book I was trying to find something that would help me achieve an effect or a style, I never did find one.

I did find this web site that helped me try different things with the application, I know it's Alt & Tab.
http://www.photoshopessentials.com/

Good luck with finding the right book.
Mike

My Flickr   .   My Fluidr

krennon

Thanks for that Mike I may try that, think I might try using the desktop for the editing (as that's what E10 is installed on) and use the wifes laptop to check out the site and "follow" the guide etc (saves the ALT TAB bit  ;))
http://www.flickr.com/photos/keithfransella/

"Everything in moderation including moderation" Oscar Wilde

SimonW

The site link Mike gives above appears to be only for the full Photoshop rather than Elements, though many techniques there will be useful to both.

I've been using Elements for a couple of years and I'm still struggling with many fairly basic things. Like how to find out about keyboard shortcuts. For example <Ctrl> and <+> or <-> will zoom in and out of an image - but its window remains the same size. I just discovered by accident that <Alt Gr> instead of <Ctrl> will zoom the window size as well - which I find very useful. Yet nowhere in the help systems can I find a list of keyboard shortcuts.  (However, I have now built up a fairly large but perhaps far from complete list by myself.)

And I'm also totally stuck with the "Colour Curves" control - I canot see how to adjust the curve for an individual colour. I simply CANNOT find a control to switch it from "Master" or "RGB" to a red, green or blue channel. I need to open my image in my old Paint Shop Pro just to do this. Once again I can find no help anywhere on line for this, not even a statement saying that it's not possible. Many magazine articles describe this tool but obviously use the full Photoshop version, and though they imply that  Elements "Curves" does the same thing they don't say how.

So I'd also be interested in a properly decent book giving in-depth coverage specific to Elements.

Simon
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Mick

Quote from: SimonW on December 09, 2011, 09:28:17 AM

So I'd also be interested in a properly decent book giving in-depth coverage specific to Elements.

Simon

There's several books on Elements 10 here,   :pointr:    ;)
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

Graham

If you can stand Scott Kelby's writing style (and I can.) I find his books easy to read and digest. Very good for the terminaly bewilderd.
                         Graham.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.