• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 61
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 45
  • Total: 45
photobox
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

what lens?

Started by alan1572, December 18, 2010, 04:01:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldboy

Quote from: Simple on January 25, 2011, 11:48:12 PM
I am now in the nice position to have nice glass and camera to play with. I have both the Sigma 24-70 f2.8 (HSM version, not the cheaper Macro) And the Nikon 24-70 f2.8 My colleague and me both prefer the Sigma lens on the D300 and the D3 over the Nikon Lens. The Sigma is short, stubby, heavy. while the Nikon is longer, similar weight. The camera just feels easier to handle. I have no doubt that the Nikon has better IQ in certain circumstances, but I hardly ever pixel peep any more. For me the The Sigma is a winner over the Nikon because I will never spot the difference in price in the picture. Hope that helps a bit Alan

Strange, as I think the Nikon on the D3 has perfect balance.  ;D

alan1572

Who wanted dry roasted with their pint?

alan1572

finally gat a 24 70 nikon lens ;D  :beer:
i was on the verge of buying a new Sigma when i was put on to a gent who had 3 of these for sale,(not sure where they come from but it's in mint condition), so i took the plunge and bought one of them, now £850 isn't cheap but i think it's well worth it.

Graham

:tup: And indeed :beer:
                     Graham.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

alan1572

just been to see HMS Manchester docked at Liverpool, will post a few shots later

Oldboy

Quote from: alan1572 on February 04, 2011, 12:13:28 PM
finally gat a 24 70 nikon lens ;D  :beer:
i was on the verge of buying a new Sigma when i was put on to a gent who had 3 of these for sale,(not sure where they come from but it's in mint condition), so i took the plunge and bought one of them, now £850 isn't cheap but i think it's well worth it.

Saving £350 isn't bad.  :tup:

alan1572

gave it a little test today in Liverpools docklands, good first impressions :)

jinky

Good one Alan. Had 3 you say. Do you know if he had any left and where he can be contacted. I found a 2nd hand mint with 6 months warranty but £999

alan1572

jinky

Cheers Alan - let me know

alan1572

just heard back, sadly the 3 have gone but he will have another in a week or so, so it all depends how long you want to wait, i'll let you know when he has it, if you have found 1 by then then no worries

jinky

I can wait a bit longer. Is it a commecial guy you can pass details on to me and keep an eye out myself to save you?

alan1572

can't see a problem with that, he's a friend of a friend who knows someone else...i'll ask him

Sarasocke

I have a birthday in a couple of days and my wonderful husband  :tup: is looking to get me the AF-S NIKKOR 24-70 mm 1:2,8G ED - that is the same lense we're talking about here, isn't it?

I have been using a Tamron 28-75 2.8 XR Di SP which I bought together with the D700 and I'm hoping for improved AF on the Nikon. The Tamron is fine for static objects but dogs running about come out better with my Nikon 70-300 4.5-5.6.

Do you reckon this is a good move?

Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

jinky

It is and it would be Carol. It`s the same move I am looking to make and all reviews / people I know say this is well worth the investment though pricey. The Tamron is a super sharp lens for the money but is slower to focus as you have found. Not been an issue for me mostly but I did drop it whilst attached to my old D80 and every now and again it will not focus / shoot at 28mm until I move in and back out again. I`ll keep it as a back up but the Nikon is slightly wider and certainly should be faster autofocus. Shame it has not VR too but cannot have evrything I suppose and it would add even more to the price.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.