• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 249
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 152
  • Total: 152
photobox
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Canon EF70-200mm F/4 L

Started by anglefire, September 07, 2009, 08:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anglefire

This is the first L lens that I bought, back in around 2005.

I went for the f/4 version purely down to cost. I would have loved the 2.8 IS version, but at the time, I'd only got back into photography and I reallycouldn't justify the extra cost - probably a grand at the time.

Anyway, the lens.

At the time it was reported to be the sharpest of the 3 70-200 L lenses available. Now it is beaten by the f/4 IS version. Just.

It is very light, and can be used as a walk about lens all day without any problems or tiring.

It doesn't come with a tripod colar, and doesn't really need one - I actually share the one that comes with the 400mm f/5.6 - I'm pretty sure the 300mm f/4 has the same colar. The only advantage of the colar is when mounting the lens on a monopod, when it makes turning the lens from portrait to landscape very quick.

In operation, the lens focus's very quickly - not a quick as my 400mm, but quick enough for most subjects.

I use it mostly for motorsport and portraits, as its a bit short for most wildlife, though is good for captive subjects.

The colour and contrast of the lens is very pleasing - rich colours and as I've siad, very sharp.

Some examples, of most subjects follow!

----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

picsfor

Have the IS version and absolutely love it.
Small enough and light enough to use with out needing a tripod or monopod.
As said, extremely sharp IQ when needed.

Glad i opted for this model as opposed to the 2.8 IS version.

DavidHammond

Just bought myself a 70-200 F/4 from jessops. Was up at £1058, then next time I went in it was £500! After much umming and arring, I've got it, and not had chance to use it yet. Should be better than the kit 55-250mm I've been using!  :tup:

picsfor

should be immensely better than the kit lens. Should make you wonder whether you will ever settle for a cheaper piece of glass again!

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.