• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 178
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 33
  • Total: 33
aliexpress
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

should i defect to Mac?

Started by alan1572, October 25, 2009, 04:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan1572

well?
i've really had it with vista and don't have much faith in 7, but is a mac going to be any better?
i've never used a mac and am wondering if it's worth the outlay...damn fancy looking machine thou.
Who wanted dry roasted with their pint?

pocketwitch

I switched to a mac over 3 years ago now and don't regret it for a moment.  I have a vista laptop, which daily has me tearing my hair out, I really wish I'd just bitten the bullet, spent the extra and bought a macbook.

Think it's really down to preference, yes mac's are quite expensive to buy, but they don't have the same "upkeep" costs as windows pc's, that's just my opinion tho.   :)
Never let the truth get in the way of a good story!

Carol aka Pocketwitch

picsfor

Wouldn't touch Microsoft OS again after working with my iMac.

They are more expensive on the initial outlay but most of your software can be traded in to a Mac version from a Windows version so that should negate most of that cost.

Crashing - mmm, still waiting for this to cause a problem. The force quit application is far more robust than the Windows opposite number (task manager).
Time Machine is the simplest and most efficient back up tool i've ever seen. Wish we'd had it when i was responsible for system back ups.
Screen view - do not know of any thing on Windows that displays as clear or bright as those with a Mac. They really are to droll over.
Copy and paste are also much more efficient on the Mac. It's done through a system wide set up - meaning stuff can be copied from a PDf without the need for a special program (free or otherwise)
Keyboard shortcuts are used much more but once you get the hang of it...

Photoshop and Lightroom behave like they have a turbo charged ram jet driving them after using similar spec computers running Windows.

Come to that- the whole system feels like it runs faster than under MS Windows. Press the on button - no time to make a cup of tea whilst to switches on and then set about logging in.

There are clear differences between the two and you do noeed to learn them to get the most out of the Mac.
But my simple point is this - Snow Leopard brought about a reduction in HD space after installation and upgrading the previous version of Mac OS X.
When have you ever known a Windows upgrade not to increase HD usage by a significant amount?

Hardware and OS are totally under Apple control. MS Windows is under every ones control.

Nope - you can keep our Windows - i'll stick to my new MAc OS X thank you. Bigger brighter screen, faster and less bugs. I'm not a games player so i don't miss any of it.
Oh yes- one last thing - it doesn't come with Internet Explorer!

Go into your local Apple dealer and hav a play. But remember to take your cheque book cos you won't want to leave without one!
If you go for the desktop, have the space and can afford it get the new 27 inc iMac, failing that get the 24 inch version.
I have the 24 inch version with 3.06ghz duo intel processor with 1Tb HD and 4gb RAM. It comes with a 512mb graphics chipset as well and an all in one optical drive (not blu ray though).

If you get it from an Apple store they will give you some free training as well i think.

pocketwitch

Quote from: picsfor on October 25, 2009, 04:47:04 PM
Wouldn't touch Microsoft OS again after working with my iMac.

They are more expensive on the initial outlay but most of your software can be traded in to a Mac version from a Windows version so that should negate most of that cost.

Crashing - mmm, still waiting for this to cause a problem. The force quit application is far more robust than the Windows opposite number (task manager).
Time Machine is the simplest and most efficient back up tool i've ever seen. Wish we'd had it when i was responsible for system back ups.
Screen view - do not know of any thing on Windows that displays as clear or bright as those with a Mac. They really are to droll over.
Copy and paste are also much more efficient on the Mac. It's done through a system wide set up - meaning stuff can be copied from a PDf without the need for a special program (free or otherwise)
Keyboard shortcuts are used much more but once you get the hang of it...

Photoshop and Lightroom behave like they have a turbo charged ram jet driving them after using similar spec computers running Windows.

Come to that- the whole system feels like it runs faster than under MS Windows. Press the on button - no time to make a cup of tea whilst to switches on and then set about logging in.

There are clear differences between the two and you do noeed to learn them to get the most out of the Mac.
But my simple point is this - Snow Leopard brought about a reduction in HD space after installation and upgrading the previous version of Mac OS X.
When have you ever known a Windows upgrade not to increase HD usage by a significant amount?

Hardware and OS are totally under Apple control. MS Windows is under every ones control.

Nope - you can keep our Windows - i'll stick to my new MAc OS X thank you. Bigger brighter screen, faster and less bugs. I'm not a games player so i don't miss any of it.
Oh yes- one last thing - it doesn't come with Internet Explorer!

Go into your local Apple dealer and hav a play. But remember to take your cheque book cos you won't want to leave without one!
If you go for the desktop, have the space and can afford it get the new 27 inc iMac, failing that get the 24 inch version.
I have the 24 inch version with 3.06ghz duo intel processor with 1Tb HD and 4gb RAM. It comes with a 512mb graphics chipset as well and an all in one optical drive (not blu ray though).

If you get it from an Apple store they will give you some free training as well i think.

Amen to that  :tup:
Never let the truth get in the way of a good story!

Carol aka Pocketwitch

Oldboy

I'm quite happy with Windows regardless of flavour.  ;D

picsfor

yes but he already has over 100 wins in the arcade and as the site gains increased membership so it gains increased competition for those top spots.
Windows in any flavour is not going to help - he needs something bigger and faster  :2funny:

alan1572

been looking in the Apple shop at the  Trafford center (Manchester), i'm sure if i had had my daughter with me (12% student discount) we would have bought the 27" imac on the spot :o
I was told to lay off buying aperature straight away as the software that is bundled is good enought to start...will my cs3 extended work on it?
1 year's  "training" is £79 and they will put everything from my pc onto the mac
my only concern is if i write a document useing apples ibook will window users be able to open it?

picsfor

CS3 works no probs - as i say you can contact Adobe and they will do a media swap.
A form to fill out and a £5 fee for media delivery costs but otherwise no probs.That's what i done with CS4.

Software that is bundled? Must mean iPhoto. It's a nice program for free and is what Microsoft would love to give with Windows - but they don't have anything that good.
It's a bit like Bridge but free! As i have Lightroom i don't use it.
Basically iPhoto would be your image management software and you can configure it to use CS3 as your editor. It has a few basic tools but no where near CS3 level - unless you're happy to use Bridge.
Step Daught uses iPhoto and she manages all her images (pictures and art work alike) with it and loves it.

So far as writing documents is concerned, because we needed MS Office compatibility we bought the MS Office for Mac - student/ home edition £70 or their abouts.
It is different in its appearance and it can require a bit of learning but it has some nice touches and once you get used to it... Entourage is the equivalent to Outlook but otherwise the rest are the same.
No VB script on Macs so all those nasty little things that make Windows stuff go wrong don't make to a Mac.
The other difference is getting used to have an A3 sheet in full size on the screen... Something else!

Take the daught and get the discount, let them sort it all out for you and get some training. See if they'll throw a book in as well for good measure. Oh yes - speakers are great for listening to music with as well whilst working!

Hinfrance

Go Mac if you want, but the next time you are desperate to throw some money away, please click the 'send money to Tringle WP' link located next to this post. I'll buy at least two equivalent PCs for the same money, and even send one back to you so you don't feel you've lost out  :D

I'll even turn the brightness and contrast on the display right up so you'll feel at home  :legit:
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

alan1572

i may buy one just to look at, one thing (one more thing), what about a tv card, if i want to hook up an aerial, can i do so?

picsfor

Have to admit you've got me there. Never though to look or enquire.
Plays film DVD well enough. Web stuff plays well enough.

You'd have to ask the Apple guys on that one i'm afraid. It has every thing else - i can not believe it can't watch TV!

alan1572

i was shown a hd trailer...FANTASTIC! it should be really good for photo editing.

picsfor

rest assured - it seems like the Mac was custom built to process and edit photos.

If you decide to go for the Mac and opt for the 1Tb hard drive - you will need an external drive for back up purposes of the same or larger capacity.
Make sure you get one with a fire wire 800 connector. Speed of data transfer is literally live.
I've said it before and all say it again, if this were an e-mail i was typing -  the data would be backed up to the EHD simultaneously exactly as i'm typing it.
And the restore function is excellent as well.

alan1572

sounds good :tup:
the target on Archery will be as big as a dart board ;D

Hybridphotog

Before ditching what's possibly a perfectly useable and functional computer (afaik, Apple and PC components aren't compatible with each other), give another operating system a try first.

Remember, there's more operating systems out there than just the several (or one, as microsoft want you to know) windows-based ones... some of them are actually legally free to download, use, copy, etc!

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.