• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 284
  • Total: 284
  • Google
  • Bingbot
bhphotovideo
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

thgoughts on dumping my 7D

Started by kerbside, May 25, 2014, 05:15:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kerbside

Looking at the pros & cons of selling up my Canon 7D kit, the lot, lenses, body etc: and purchasing a  bridge camera like this.
http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Cameras/Digital_Camera/PowerShot/PowerShot_SX50HS/index.aspx
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Reason for doing this is that i am fed up lugging gear around and i think that nowadays with the technology that is around a bridge camera offers good results.
Thoughts please :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\
Jeff

You have to be in to win but winning is not everything, it's participating that counts.
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/kerbside

Beaux Reflets

I am thinking and almost set upon purchasing the Fujifilm hs50, simply because it has manual focus - and has had a few good reviews. While many seem to be going for the kit lens set up, the super zoom really appeals to me for taking shots of wildlife (and with an active Chasse in our area a 200mm lens is not powerful enough).
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

DigiDiva

Jeff, how creative do you want to be? Would the new camera allow the creativity you desire?
Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

Karen

Well I think if you read my threads on purchasing the new Fuji x-e2 you'll see I had the same dilemma. I am not sorry as the fuji gives me all the creative power I had with Canon and quality with less lugging around.

Andrew

or you could just sell it all and go  for the Fuji X route.

My X-Pro1 with prime lens sits in my pocket or Mrs B's hand bag when we go out. Now I've got a second lens off Graham, I suppose I'll have to start using a second pocket.
It is a real nuisance having to carry all that stuff around for a picture.

The XE2 is going at a nice price and several of the lenses can be bought at a nice price used. The same could also be said of some of the bodies.

I suppose the question is - what actually do you want to do with your camera.

I don't know if the 'free lens' offer is still going if you buy a new body - but I know it has been dicussed on here, and I can vouch for the fact that many pros are moving over to the Fuji X system due to lower prices and the huge saving in size and weight.

Don't take my word for it - look at the thread on the new Fuji by Karen (i think) and Graham's input.
If you look at the size of the bag Damien Lovegrove takes with him on an overseas shoot, it is embarrassing. I've seen bigger bags used to carry a 1DX with 28-200 f2.8 IS L only!
His contents include 2 x Fuji Xt-1's with BG, 3 prime lenses, filters, radio triggers and a flash or two.
1 body, 1 lens, 1 flash gun, 1 tripod, 1 cable release & 1 filter. Keeping it simple!
(I lied, just got a second lens!)

kerbside

Thanxs for all the input. I will read the links and see what i can take away from them.

As for being creative Chris i do not do much in the camera and PP is the way i go about things, but that is just me.

You have to be in to win but winning is not everything, it's participating that counts.

Karen

Remember Ive got a nice Samsung kit there for sale if you can get used to not having a viewfinder lol :)

kerbside

Karen, i have to get my head around what i want at the moment as i have only looked at this over this weekend. i do not want to jump and regret.
Going to look at some kit before i sell mine so it may take a few months to get my head around it all.

Karen

No probs only jesting lol. I know how long it took me to make the decision to change from my Canon 5DMK3.

donoreo

On of our better photographers in our camera club carries a Canon G11 with him.  Most of his photos are taken with it.  He even does some great HDR using it (it shoots raw).

anglefire

Depends what you want out of your photography. If you want to control depth of field, then a small sensor is going to be more difficult to do.

If you want to take sports photography, then a bridge may not have the focusing speed to do it.

But if you want to take landscapes, or portraits then it will be fine.

Personally, I wouldn't be without my DSLR's as I prefer the look of the final image - especially full frame and wide open.
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

craftysnapper

Have you thought about micro four thirds small and lightweight yet still inter changable lenses and the image quality of crop dslr?
Regards Paul.
One day I hope to be the person my dogs think I am.

http://www.pbase.com/paulsilkphotography

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.