• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 158
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 74
  • Total: 74
  • Google
millets
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

New PC - is this one any good

Started by jinky, November 16, 2009, 05:44:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hybridphotog

That's the one thing that hurts at the moment, not seeing much real-time editing taking place when a slider's moved. With my aging AMD 2.0GHz (Athlon XP, I'll have you know (from the days of dual-CPU motherboards being the only way to get multi-CPU capabilities)! ;) ), it's click-and-hope... as opposed to DMT's new PC.

I've just had another virtual spending-spree at Overclockers... £500+... and that's cutting painful corners.

picsfor

Quote from: Hybridphotog on June 27, 2010, 04:26:17 PM
That's the one thing that hurts at the moment, not seeing much real-time editing taking place when a slider's moved. With my aging AMD 2.0GHz (Athlon XP, I'll have you know (from the days of dual-CPU motherboards being the only way to get multi-CPU capabilities)! ;) ), it's click-and-hope... as opposed to DMT's new PC.

I've just had another virtual spending-spree at Overclockers... £500+... and that's cutting painful corners.

Ahh Dual CP motherboards - that was the way to go. So civilized and soo much control everything....

Hybridphotog

Quote from: picsfor on June 28, 2010, 05:49:23 PM
Ahh Dual CP motherboards - that was the way to go. So civilized and soo much control everything....
So true, so true. And they're still available... albeit for Intel Xeon processors. Just don't ask about prices!!

(shameful plug for 'yet another brilliant idea for a new weblog' - http://squareloader.blogspot.com/ )

bones615

Searching for a new pc, not desperate but i found this with 1/3 off this weekend only. Worth it????

http://www.dixons.co.uk/gbuk/hp-pavilion-p6790uk-desktop-pc-refurbished-09734841-pdt.html

I have bought refurb laptops from pc world for the kids with no problems so this is not an issue.

Simon

Skhilled

Doesn't look bad at all. Depends on what you plan on using it for. Just make sure whatever one you get is upgradable...you can add new hardware like hard drives, memory ,etc. ;)
Nikon D3000
AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6.G VR
Nikkor 70-210mm f4-f5.6 AF Macro Zoom
AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6.G ED VR

Simple

Make sure it has adequate cooling!!, HP machines are notorious for running hot.

Skhilled

Nikon D3000

bones615

The card is halfway out of my wallet, off to pc world later to have a look around & compare. How about this to go with it?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-B2430H-Widescreen-Monitor-Gloss/dp/tech-data/B0037LIOO8/ref=de_a_smtd

Thanks for your advice Simple & Skhilled, dont need gaming ability, just the usual surfing, music, photo editing & the tv tuner will be a bonus as i can get rid of the little tv in the dining room.

Simon

Oldboy

Quote from: bones615 on July 23, 2011, 12:23:31 PM
The card is halfway out of my wallet, off to pc world later to have a look around & compare. How about this to go with it?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-B2430H-Widescreen-Monitor-Gloss/dp/tech-data/B0037LIOO8/ref=de_a_smtd

Thanks for your advice Simple & Skhilled, dont need gaming ability, just the usual surfing, music, photo editing & the tv tuner will be a bonus as i can get rid of the little tv in the dining room.

Simon

I've got two Samsung monitors and never had a problem.  :tup:

anglefire

I went back to building my own PC after my last shop bought one lasted about 3years before the capacitors (I suspect) failed and it stopped working.

I spent about £680 - which was for new motherboard (Gigabyte GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3 Z68 ), CPU (i5), 8Gb RAM, case, and SSD drive and W7 Pro - kept my 2 data drives from the old pc.

The SSD drive was a indulgence - but the boot up time from off is about 40secs - better than the previous 2 or 3 minutes - you can get quicker SSD's than I got, but I went for reliablity over ultimate speed.

Dead pleased with it :tup:
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

anglefire

----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Skhilled

I prefer to build my own too. More upgradeable and last longer too. Maybe next year at tax time I might build a new one. It's been a few years. LOL
Nikon D3000

bones615

New pc arrived today, waiting for the monitor. Spent all evening deleting stuff i dont need (inc about 1000000 emails) ready for back up & transfer. Now making a list of all the programs i need to reinstall on the new one, could be busy for days!

Simon

Beryl

I was bought a quad for Christmas . intel processor i5 4gig ram 1TB hard drive Windows 7.  After 3 craches I got the hang of it.

I love it  :tup:
A true friend is the best possession

My Web site
http://berylladd.com/
Oh . And thanks for looking in

Oldboy

Quote from: Beryl on July 27, 2011, 09:33:33 PM
I was bought a quad for Christmas . intel processor i5 4gig ram 1TB hard drive Windows 7.  After 3 craches I got the hang of it.

I love it  :tup:

I've got a quad with 2x 1.5tb installed 2.5GH processer and 4gb ram.  :tup:

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.