• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 158
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 135
  • Total: 135
  • Google
  • Bingbot
bhphotovideo
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Yet another DCW orphan

Started by 2Beers, July 31, 2013, 12:17:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2Beers

Well I finally made it here after the closing of the DCW forum but to be honest I was already thinking of leaving so no biggie

Hello everyone

donoreo

Oldboy

jinky

Welcome to another convert  ;)

Reinardina

Welcome from another early riser!

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Jediboy

May the Force be with you.

Chris

Geoff

Hi and welcome new here myself after being invited here due to login issues at dcw  :legit:

michaelb104

Mike

My Flickr   .   My Fluidr

spikeyjen

looks like a few of us from DCW have moved over to the other (the dark) side. Looks like fun here

Reinardina

This has been the refuge of choice, for disgruntled DCM/PR/DCW forum members for years.
But they had a choice, and a lot occasionally popped into DCW to see how things were over there, or to see old friends.
Now that possibility has been taken away for all of us.

You'd think a company called Future would know better, than to upset a lot of customers, who not only used the forum, but are often readers of the magazine as well.

Graham

Quote from: Reinardina on August 01, 2013, 11:30:18 AM
This has been the refuge of choice, for disgruntled DCM/PR/DCW forum members for years.
But they had a choice, and a lot occasionally popped into DCW to see how things were over there, or to see old friends.

You'd think a company called Future would know better, than to upset a lot of customers, who not only used the forum, but are often readers of the magazine as well.

So are we saying that they've shut it down altogether? Iv'e not been there for years, but I do spend quite a bit of time on BikeRadar, which I believe is part of the same group, also TechRadar along with a few other "Radar" sites seem to be thriving! How very odd!  :uglystupid2:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Reinardina

Quote from: Graham on August 01, 2013, 11:36:01 AM

So are we saying that they've shut it down altogether? Iv'e not been there for years, but I do spend quite a bit of time on BikeRadar, which I believe is part of the same group, also TechRadar along with a few other "Radar" sites seem to be thriving! How very odd!  :uglystupid2:

The DCW forum is definitely down and out. Forever. It had been hacked, and Future cannot afford to have it properly protected apparently.

Don't know about other Future sites/forums.

2Beers

Thanks for the welcome guys/gals, it's nice to see so many familiar people have found there way here but to be honest I used to Lurkalot (sorry Mick) on here before DCW shut down.

The problem I found with the DCW forum was that none of the magazine staff could find the time to frequent the forum nor were there any Admins on to do maintenance or give the mods any guidance yet they could find the time for Farcebook and Twatter both of which I detest probably too old to bother trying. :beer:

donoreo

Quote from: Graham on August 01, 2013, 11:36:01 AM

Yes, they announced it on the site, down for good.   The PhotoRadar concept was not bad, have one website and forums for all of your photo magazines.  It makes sense in that regard.  There were some problems, when launched there was only DC and PhotoPlus (Practical Photoshop and N Photo came later) so there was not as much of a base to work with.  The staff, while initially involved showed that they would rather be writers than community maintainers.   Then as staff left they were never replaced.  They needed a leader to was enthusiastic and joined in on the forums.  They did not have that. 

Jediboy

The below is copied and pasted from the DCW site. It suggests that PC Gamer was attacked but not other forums. This almost a hints at it being a temporary closure, but judging by the way they managed the forum they may have got a bit confused.
Left hand right hand...........

Important security update about Future forums

PC Gamer

Last week on the 19th July 2013 we discovered that PC Gamer's vBulletin-powered forum had been the target of a malicious attack. Immediate action was taken to shut the forum which blocked the attack and we have since been thoroughly investigating the damage done and how this attack took place.

We have no evidence that any of the PC Gamer's users' details were stolen. However we feel it is safest to keep the forum closed until we are satisfied that the security vulnerability in the software is fixed. Information on the progress of this will be communicated via the PCGamer site.

Other Future Forums

If you are seeing this message it is because this vBulletin forum has been closed as a precautionary measure. We have no evidence this forum has been compromised, however we are investigating each forum in our network individually to be sure this is the case.

The website teams will be in touch with more information on the progress of this as soon as it becomes available.

We are truly sorry for any inconvenience caused, we take our user's security very seriously and we appreciate your patience.
May the Force be with you.

Chris

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.