• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,414
  • Total Topics: 5,707
  • Online today: 90
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 63
  • Total: 63
millets
Microphone Arm,Aokeo AK-4...Sennheiser Profile USB Mi...Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...

Windows 10

Started by Reinardina, July 24, 2015, 07:32:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WillyP

I've got a pair of new hard drives to install so once the dust settles and I'm ready to install I'm going to do a clean install on a brand new drive and save the old one in case I need to go back to 7 for any reason.

But, I will wait for some bugs to surface and get squashed before then.

Reinardina

Just took the plunge, closed both eyes tightly, downloaded and installed Windows 10.
Took a lot longer than expected, and takes some getting used to, but seems to work fine. (Only have Microsoft Word 2007, Elements 11, and BT Plus (McAfee) as added software.  Haven't tried if the old printer still works.

Do not like the look of Flickr through this new browser though, must try to find out if I can get the old look back. Anyone any ideas?

Writing this from my old Vista laptop, as all my preset Gmail addresses disappeared, and I couldn't remember exactly the one I use for newsletters. Thank goodness this old beastie came to the rescue.

Before I shut this down, I can indulge in a bit of mild (Spider) solitaire. Used to enjoy those.

Don't know if this has anything to do with Windows 10, but one of my other Gmail addresses, seems to be 'stuck' on the security page and I cannot find how to get from there to my inbox. Where do I click to get there?

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Alfonso_Frisk

Quote from: Hinfrance on July 25, 2015, 03:56:05 PM
I'll be doing THIS ahead of any changes. Better than putting in the original W7 disk and then going through hours of updates . .

Just downloaded this programme.
Not the easiest to understand ( unless I am having a thicko day)
Let it run for and back up to an external drive for a couple of hours then got an error code 23 (?????)
Looked in hard drive and there is nothing there created, copied, backed up etc

What am I doing wrong ?
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

hssutton

Don't know if this has anything to do with Windows 10, but one of my other Gmail addresses, seems to be 'stuck' on the security page and I cannot find how to get from there to my inbox. Where do I click to get there?

Reinardina. Not 100% sure, but it could be McAfee. Prior to the general release of W10 a lot of people were having problem with McAfee. You could try disabling this program and see if MaCafee is causing the problem.
How to temporarily disable McAfee.  http://www.wikihow.com/Disable-McAfee

Harry

Reinardina

Thanks for that Harry. The problem went a way, of its own accord. Sorry I did not mention it!

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

StephenBatey

Here's a new twist on Windows 10

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/windows-10-spying-how-to-opt-out-of-microsofts-intrusive-terms-of-use-10432300.html

The paper quotes part of the (apparently) 12,000 words long terms of use as follows

One excerpt worryingly tells users that "we will access, disclose and preserve personal data", including the contents of emails or files in private folders.

Interesting.
Both income tax and lockdowns were introduced as temporary measures by the government.

spinner

Did 3 upgrades over the weekend. 2 went smooth as silk. Number 3, an old Gateway laptop, not so smooth. Eventually figured out the glitch though. The issue might be the same on a PC too. Don't upgrade with two mismatched displays running. I had the laptop plugged into a flat screen. Thought I could see things better. When it reboot after the install the screen would die. I assume it was having trouble determining which display drivers to load. Anyway after unplugging the external monitor it went through the remainder of the install fine.

Problem now is determining which of the old software works with Win 10. :o
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

Hinfrance

Quote from: StephenBatey on August 03, 2015, 10:24:32 PM
Here's a new twist on
Quote from: StephenBatey on August 03, 2015, 10:24:32 PM
Here's a new twist on Windows 10

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/windows-10-spying-how-to-opt-out-of-microsofts-intrusive-terms-of-use-10432300.html

The paper quotes part of the (apparently) 12,000 words long terms of use as follows

One excerpt worryingly tells users that "we will access, disclose and preserve personal data", including the contents of emails or files in private folders.

Interesting.

Interesting.

Standard backside covering legalese, no more, no less.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

StephenBatey

I hadn't realised that operating systems standardly accessed, stored and passed back to their makers emails and the contents of private files. Whilst it might be honest of Microsoft to state that by installing Windows 10 you are allowing them unlimited access to, and the right to disclose to anyone else, all the data found on your computer, it seems a very risky undertaking for any business which has trade secrets or confidential information held on computer to install it.

I know that written records are making a comeback, since there are so many legal ways for people to demand access to any computer based information that refers to them, but this seems to be a step further - no data is private, and will be disclosed if Microsoft want to.

Standard it may be - highly objectionable, certainly.
Both income tax and lockdowns were introduced as temporary measures by the government.

SimonW

I've just upgraded from Windows 7 Pro. It took less time than I expected - about 1.5 hours, and I did not have to intervene at all. My Lightroom 5 seems fine, as does my Proshow Gold 7, and my Dreamweaver MX 2004 (which I've had since Windows XP without ever updating it). My Photoshop Elements 9 appears to work OK too, though it reports that some parts of it won't work properly without Internet Explorer 5 or later (so it obviously doesn't recognise Edge as the later version). And it left my existing Windows Media Player in place as well.  The desktop is pretty well indentical to before the upgrade. Some things I've not yet tried, including the printer, but so far I can't see what the fuss was about.

(Mind you, that was all on what's still my "second" PC, not my main photo-store/editor. That can wait till I'm certain there won't be snags.....)

Simon
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Oldboy

Upgraded my main PC to Windows 10 and the only problem I've found is with Netgear modem port, from my PC doesn't work. Unplugged cable and connected to another port and it now works?  :doh:

Did an image backup using Microsoft's own in Windows 8.1 and that took about six hours. The Windows 10 install took about one hour. Went to bed at midnight whilst the backup was still going. Up at 03:00 to find it had finished do started the install. Went back to bed at 04:30 still without fixing modem, up at 08:00 and fixed modem.  :P

Hinfrance

Just had a W10 compatibility update from Steinberg. W10 apparently nukes DAWs, including Cubase, as the audio processing system profile used in W7 to stop the OS using audio allocated resources (and thus preventing drop outs and timing errors) cannot be invoked. No upgrade for me then until either MS or one of the DAW software companies work out how to fix this.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

SimonW

Oh, Help! Since my seemingly successful upgrade from Windows 7 to 10 I've hit a major seemingly insurmountable problem. Both the Administrator Accounts on my PC appeared as Administrator Accounts on Windows 10, and all their Apps and data worked fine. But now I've found the Account Settings just don't work. Advice from other gurus I know hasn't come up with an answer. The options to create or add new accounts don't work (and on some screens don't even appear - for example on other machines some screens have the option "add or remove user accounts" wher mine simply says "remove user accounts". And neither can I change any details on the existing accounts - not even the password. The option to "Log in using a Microsoft Account Instead" doesn't work. A pop-up suggested my WiFi Sense needed fixing and said "click here to fix it" but it then gave me a totally empty WiFi settings window. And so on.  I'm thinking both accounts might not, in spite of appearances, be Admin ones, but much more restricted, and I'll need to go back to Windows 7 (if in fact I can) to create a microsoft account before I try it again.

Simon
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

WillyP

My son just reverted his... he said W10 was 'boring'. Oh, and it broke a number of things, like he couldn't choose the correct resolution, which made everything look wonky. I told him to reinstall the correct drivers, but that didn't work because the install window was half off the screen and couldn't be moved.

I'm sticking with W7 for a while longer!

:uglystupid2:

hssutton

Well I'm very happy with W10, Used it as an 'insider' for several months with no problems whatsoever. Must admit that the final version did give me a few headaches, in all cases driver related. All simply cured by installing the correct drivers, unless of course Microsoft insist on installing their drivers at the next update, at which point I will dump W10.

Harry

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.