• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,415
  • Total Topics: 5,708
  • Online today: 64
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 47
  • Total: 47
parkcameras
RØDE NT1 Signature Series...Microphone Arm,Aokeo AK-4...Sennheiser Profile USB Mi...Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....

What bemused you today?

Started by greypoint, August 24, 2009, 07:51:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickt

Quote from: Jonathan on April 22, 2011, 05:40:39 PM
Quote from: nickt on April 22, 2011, 04:49:04 PM
To me, it looks like he's throwing light back into the shadows/faces. Should he therefore be further to the right and have a bigger reflector?

But there is no extra light in the faces......

Reflectors work like stationary tennis rackets.  Light comes in, hits them and bounces off at the opposite angle it came in at.  They also throw back (far) less than 100% of the light that hits them.

The reflector is pretty much perpendicular to the light (you can see the sun pretty clearly from the shadows) which means it will skip off and vanish to picture right.  And there really won't be much of it.  Considerably less light will be hitting it than the back of the "groom's" head and only a portion will get reflected in the wrong direction.  If it were working, you'd see a shimmery light on their faces.

There's a theory on Twitter that this is part of an article about bouncing a flash into a reflector which is something I've done many times but.....

1. There's no flash or trigger on either of the cameras
2. You can roughly see where it would throw the light from the reflector shadow (caused by the BTS guy's on camera flash).  That's mainly into the pillar (this could vary a bit depending on striking angle.  But not enough ;) )

It's a nicely set up shot that some muppet has put a guy in an ugly shirt with a reflector in.  It annoys me that this will be used to teach people about "using a reflector to add catchlights" when that's total nonsense.
So if he was further to the right, would there not be some fill light reflected back to the bride and groom? Looking at the shadow of the B&G, the sun is to the left and would bounce back to them if he was further to the right.

hevans

Quote from: Jonathan on April 22, 2011, 12:04:11 PM
It leads with a lovely image advertising their tutorials for aspiring wedding pros.

For the life of me I can't figure out what the reflector is doing.  I must need one of their courses.

I'm wondering just how much of the B&G can be seen from the camera. Looks like they might need a smidge of gravitational lensing from the stone pillar to be seen by the camera.

H.

Oldboy

Recession! What recession!  :o

In Birmingham today and noticed the Jessops's shop has been refitted inside and out.  :dance:

Frontage.

Inside.

Click image for bigger size.  ;D

Beaux Reflets

It does not look very busy OB  ;)
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Oldboy

No, it appears there where more staff than customers, but it was taken at 11:00am today, after the bank holidays.  :-\

ABERS

Hope they've had the staffs' brains refitted!

Simple

The staff at Jessops has brains???????? :D

Beaux Reflets

They probably do  :dance: Lots of companies and organisations cannot be Rsed to train their staff properly  :beer:

ABERS

Reading the news on the BBC website I was more amused that bemused.
The juxtaposition of two headlines.

UK Woman Beheaded in Tenerife.        Hacking Payout For Sienna Miller.  :legit:

skellum

Why do salespeople  " Just happen to be in the area "

Beaux Reflets

Because they are stalking vunerable holders of the purse strings  :2funny:  :legit:

Hinfrance

Sort of a local news event - the fact that Nicolas Sarkozy still hasn't made any comment about the arrest of Dominic Strauss-Kahn in New York. Probably still hasn't stopped running around the Elysêe Palace doing cartwheels and laughing his head off, pausing only to shout 'get in!' at various intervals.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

krennon

Advertising various room attendant positions across the country at the moment from Birmingham to Plymouth and across Surrey and Sussex as well...had LOADS of CV's come in and at least the last 8 I have looked at, people have listed photography as either one of their interests or one of their "qualifications" and a couple claim they do photography in their spare time to earn some extra money.....where did I go wrong???  ::)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/keithfransella/

"Everything in moderation including moderation" Oscar Wilde

Oldboy

It's common sense that if a dog chases a Swan into the pond, and you are holding the lead - then let go else, you end up in the water.  :uglystupid2:

Oops!!!

Click each picture for bigger size.

jinky

lol oldboy - great capture. Bet she felt silly! ;D

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.