• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 48
  • Total: 48
If you would like to make a donation to help with the running costs of the site, then a donation button has been added to the bottom of the page.  Thanks.
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Green Laning

Started by anglefire, May 22, 2011, 05:19:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anglefire

Some people don't agree with off-roading and green laning, but I find it a lot of fun and in the case of yesterday, saw some very nice views and was totally non-damaging to both cars and roads - as it should be!

Went to Northamptonshire and drove around 30miles of the local byways and greenlanes. Northampton seem to have an excellent policy of maintaining the lanes for all, to the point of closing some that do mud up a lot during the winter months. Some of the lanes were better than some normal roads I've been on.

With more on Here
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Markulous

As a general rule, I'm not in favour. We've a Green Lane at the top of the road and it's had it's ar$e torn out of it - initial damage to the surface has now continued with significant erosion. But the worst of it is the 'clever' bikers who've decided to go off-Lane and tear around the adjoining SSSI!  >:(
Whatever and ever. Amen
http://smg.photobucket.com/home/Markulous/index
Mark @ Photobucket

anglefire

Mark,

As ever, some nutters always spoil it for others, in your case seems to be bikers, but some 4x4ers are as bad.
You can see the cars we are driving - not tricked up old 90's, but basically standard road cars.
The club I'm is is a member of the Green Lane association which has a code of conduct for driving lanes. In principle, you don't wreck them!

Some walkers complain that cars are causing erosion - but if you look at the popular walking areas - The Peaks etc, then there is a massive problem of foot traffic ruining the country side too! At least in many cases, it is the offroad community that repairs the green lanes so that they are kept open.
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Graham

I don't have a problem with green laneing , or motorbikes, mountain bikes or horses.
   Whenever I'm up in the Peaks (My usual stompping ground.), 5 minets walk from where ever you park your car and your totally alone.
   I'm sure there's room for everyone.
                 Graham. :tup:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Hinfrance

We have a 'green lane' (chemin rural) leading to our house. I maintain it by occasionally chucking some gravel down on it - free from the local quarry. The only time it really suffers is once every four years when the Grappe de Cyrano entrants spend the weekend tooling around the countryside. Then it gets very chewed up. But that's just volume of traffic  ;)

I agree with Graham, there's room for everyone as long as they don't deliberately wreck things - a little wear and tear is fair enough.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Markulous

Used to live in Cardiff and the Brecon Beacons were my regular stomping ground - despite it being way quieter than the Peaks, there were still scramblers chewing up the paths!  >:(

Undoubtedly, walkers contribute a significant effect on paths - I used to use the broad rule of thumb that 50 walkers = 1 scrambler, 10 walkers = 1 horse!  ;)
Whatever and ever. Amen
http://smg.photobucket.com/home/Markulous/index
Mark @ Photobucket

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.