• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 193
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 118
  • Total: 118
7ds
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Nikon Files

Started by CML-1591, May 26, 2010, 05:12:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CML-1591

Is it best to use NEF or TIFF/Tif?

sorry if this has come up before or a really stupid question...
Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment. - Ansel Adams,

nickt

NEF, definately.
Nick

Oldboy

NEF files range between 12mb to 20mb but saved as a Tiff each would be 35mb on my D3. Raw files like NEF are Tiff files but with a special compression applied, which reduces their size but still contain the same infomation as a full Tiff file, which contains no compression.  ;D

Jonathan

Quote from: Oldboy on May 26, 2010, 05:31:22 PM
Raw files like NEF are Tiff files but with a special compression applied, which reduces their size but still contain the same infomation as a full Tiff file, which contains no compression.  ;D

Well...neff files are only compressed if you choose to compress them.....some people recommend not doing this due to a loss of dynamic range.  http://regex.info/blog/photo-tech/nef-compression

Also, neff files contain more "information" than tiff files.  I.e. they contain everything a tiff file does plus more.  They are smaller when uncompressed because they don't pad the high end bits with zeroes.

Oh and tiff files support 2 different types of lossless compression - zip and lzw.  Neither are used by Nikon.

As long as you have the s/w to decode it properly and believe you always will have then nef is almost always better than tiff.  I can think of a couple of times when you might want tiff but really not many.
It's Guest's round

Oldboy

Quote from: Jonathan on May 26, 2010, 06:35:17 PM

As long as you have the s/w to decode it properly and believe you always will have then nef is almost always better than tiff.  I can think of a couple of times when you might want tiff but really not many.

Which makes me womder why Nikon included Tiff as a shooting option on a D3.  ???

CML-1591

Quote from: Oldboy on May 26, 2010, 10:26:48 PM

Which makes me womder why Nikon included Tiff as a shooting option on a D3.  ???

Same on a D700

Okay so... NEF it is I think... :o :D

Thanks folks!
Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment. - Ansel Adams,

Jonathan

Quote from: Oldboy on May 26, 2010, 10:26:48 PM

Because

1. It costs them nothing.  Apart from the increased write time there is no "cost" to producing a tiff.  They have the data in the right format as part of the processing.

2. Because there are a couple of special applications where you might want a high quality uncompressed file that comes out of the camera ready to use.  Off hand I can think of high quality magazine work and (possibly) some branches of forensics.  The people who need this will buy another brand if their required format isn't supported.
It's Guest's round

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.