• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 72
  • Total: 72
wex
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Removing cache in CS

Started by Sarasocke, February 25, 2011, 10:51:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarasocke

I work with CS5 and Nikon NX2.
If I remove the files in the Adobe cache, would I be destroying anything?
My actual files are on a different drive (the software + cache on c and my files on d)

Crumbs my English again, I hope you understand what I'm trying to say ;)
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

Oldboy

Should be a problem as cache is used by the history palette. I've copied below what it says in CS3.  ;D

Because caches can become very large, you may want to purge the cache or limit its size. You can also purge and regenerate the cache if you suspect that it is corrupted or old. Purging the cache deletes thumbnail information and metadata added since the camera raw file was opened in Bridge.

Note: The Camera Raw cache holds data for about 200 images for each gigabyte of disk storage allocated to it. By default, the Camera Raw cache is set to a maximum size of 1 GB. You can increase its limit in the Camera Raw Preferences.
In Bridge, choose Edit > Camera Raw Preferences (Windows) or Bridge > Camera Raw Preferences (Mac OS), or, with the Camera Raw dialog box open, click the Open Preferences Dialog button .
Do any of the following:
To change the cache size, enter a Maximum Size value.

To purge the camera raw cache, click the Purge Cache button.

To change the location of the camera raw cache, click Select Location.

Sarasocke

Thanks!!

I've just doubled the size, I hope the problem goes away now.

I just love this forum, there's always someone who knows what to do :)
Thanks, Oldboy  :tup:
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

Sarasocke

um ...
Just started up Nikon Capture and was told the memory in the "temp" files should be increased. It does still work, but this warning keeps popping up.

Anyone use Nikon Capture?
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

spinner

Quote from: Sarasocke on February 25, 2011, 04:16:00 PM
um ...
Just started up Nikon Capture and was told the memory in the "temp" files should be increased. It does still work, but this warning keeps popping up.

I don't use Nikon Capture, but I'm going to guess that they want you to do the same thing for Capture and increase the cache. I'm not sure if you are operating on the belief that Photoshop's cache is also Captures. I don't believe they are. In fact I'll go so far as to say even the cache files for Camera Raw are separate from Adobe as a whole. If you look at PS's preferences you will see the sizes are different and likely in a different location. The same will hold true for NC , it will have it's own memory settings and location. I read an article recently suggesting you have your cache file repository on a separate drive to speed the process. I bought myself an 8 gig USB drive which I keep plugged in and use just for that purpose. Since Camera Raw shuts down when you move to CS5 I let the USB serve as cache for both without issue.
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

Sarasocke

QuoteI'm not sure if you are operating on the belief that Photoshop's cache is also Captures

No, I didn't  ;)
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

Oldboy

Quote from: Sarasocke on February 25, 2011, 04:16:00 PM
um ...

Try increasing the size of the Swap File. Click Start, System and select Advanced System Settings, then click on the Advanced Tab and click on the Performance Settings button. Click the Advanced Tab and click on the Change button in the Virtual Memory box. When this opens increase the number in the Maximum size box then click set. I have mine set to 5000mb for a 1.5tb drive. If you notice the Space Available info just above it tells you the size of the free space on your drive and below, it tells you the Recommended size. This is a good guide to what figure you should use.   After setting this you will need to reboot the computer. ;D

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.