• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 137
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 138
  • Total: 138
Wish
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Chat thread for the weekly competition 'Still Life' from 7 October - 13 October

Started by DigiDiva, October 05, 2013, 12:52:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigiDiva

CHAT thread for the 'Still  Life' weekly competition, from 7 October - 13 October 2013

Im squeezing this in, during my lunchtime  as I'm at work today and with busy family stuff tomorrow. Hope this is ok.

The theme is  'Still Life' with no restrictions on pp. I thought this would suit everyone, everywhere, regardless of time, place weather etc.

Pictures to be taken between 00.01am Monday 7 October to 23:59pm Sunday 13 October 2013.

Pictures to be posted in the entries thread no later than 23.59pm Monday 14 October 2013.
Poll will be up Tuesday 15th October.

Winner to be announced Saturday 19th October

The Rules for the weekly competition are:-

By entering you agree to take responsibility to:
post a topic on the Sunday following your declared win
create an entries thread
create a chat thread
create a poll for that weeks comp and declare the winner on the Saturday
(if for any reason there is a problem and no subject is posted by the winner by Monday night admin will advise second place winner to post the topic asap, do the poll etc)

In case of a tie, the first entry posted wins.
Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

Reinardina

Never been keen on still life, unless I find one during my wanderings.

No good at setting things up in a nice way, so here's hoping I find something!

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Oldboy

Reinardina

DigiDiva

No, then it has no life....then again still life is usually inanimate objects, and they arent alive either, so why is it called still life?

Beaux Reflets

As I understand it, Still Life usually refers to set pieces (used to create an artistic composition or study) and usually includes things like flowers and or fruits etc. - Things that have grown, with 'still life' in their seeds I guess   :tup:
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

ABERS

A quick look at

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=still+life

might be of help.

Not just fruit and veg but loads of inanimate objects that can make a pleasing picture. I would hazard that the lighting plays a major role in the creation of a  decent Still Life image togther with a creative arrangement of objects that catch the eye.

Hinfrance

The French for still life is 'nature morte', so more still death than still life ;)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

ABERS

Hmmmm could try to set up "La petite morte" but that would hardly be "Still Life", hopefully.  ::)

Reinardina

Quote from: Hinfrance on October 07, 2013, 07:23:27 PM
The French for still life is 'nature morte', so more still death than still life ;)

The Dutch masters of "stilleven" (after all, the term was borrowed from the Dutch) often included dead birds or fish.
I thought my luck was in, as I photographed a dead pigeon last week, which was still there after two days.
When I went out this morning however, it had gone! Would have been nice and ripe by now, and full of 'life.'

Have to think of something else.

DigiDiva

Reinardina, you have just 'broken my dream' as they say. I dreamed I was advised that rotting dead birds placed in the lumbar region would help my back pain, but I just couldn't do it.

Hinfrance

Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

kerbside

Still Life images can be just about anything that doesn't move. The definition of a still life subject is an inanimate object but other subjects are loosely termed as still life as well. These include flowers, food, etc. They are life forms but they don't move.
Maybe this helps :-\

Is there an entry thread for this yet? cant find it

You have to be in to win but winning is not everything, it's participating that counts.
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/kerbside

ABERS

I would suggest that a 'Still Life' picture is not just something that is dead, dying or deceased, although a bit of roadkill would perhaps come in handy, and that the essence of a 'Still Life' image is one where the subject has been arranged, and in most cases, lit by the author. Just stumbling across a derelict building or a fruit and veg stallholder's display is just a record shot and surely wouldn't count, well not in my book.

As a matter of fact I have in my wheelybin a dead fox that I discovered at the end of the garden today. Obviously on it's last legs it had crawled under a low growing bush to end it's days. A strange smell and a large cloud of bluebottles alerted me to it's presence. :doh:

P.S. I'll resist using it for any entry that I might make.

DigiDiva

As theme setter, can I please say  NO DEAD ANIMALS PLEASE?......As you can guarantee someone will.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.