• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 116
  • Total: 116
millets
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Chat thread for the weekly competition 'Still Life' from 7 October - 13 October

Started by DigiDiva, October 05, 2013, 12:52:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2Beers

Quote from: DigiDiva on October 08, 2013, 10:20:29 PM
As theme setter, can I please say  NO DEAD ANIMALS PLEASE?......As you can guarantee someone will.

Well if it's dead it doesn't fit the theme cos there's no life about it

Hinfrance

Well that's just declassified most of the classic painters' still life efforts as not being still life any more. Most of them I seem to recall are table or kitchen sets with some form of meat or poultry about the place, often pheasant or rabbit.

I wasn't planning on killing anything anyway, just sayin'
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

DigiDiva

Howard, behave...meat is different!!!!! I just think a dead animal would offend some people.
Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

Reinardina

There's even one with a dead swan, long neck gracefully dangling down. People were not over sensitive about animals/their food in those days.

As I can't use my dead pigeon, I may stretch the boundaries to the limit, or even further, and thereby create the new, again Dutch, standard for still life.   ;)

DD, meat is dead animal, and besides, the old masters painted the whole animal; dead but still in tact and recognisable.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

ABERS

A few fresh mackerel always makes a good picture, but I'll not go there, I'll make do with a packet of fish fingers instead! ???

Oldboy

Quote from: ABERS on October 09, 2013, 08:27:06 AM
A few fresh mackerel always makes a good picture, but I'll not go there, I'll make do with a packet of fish fingers instead! ???

Frozen or thawed?  :P

DigiDiva

ABERS

Quote from: DigiDiva on October 09, 2013, 01:21:41 PM
I can't believe an easy subject as still life can cause a stir

So, Still Life is easy?  :o

A good still life is about as hard as it gets, you are in control of everything, choice and composition of the subject, the lighting, the background and foreground and the tonal and contrast distribution within the image You're not just running around snapping whatever is laying around or takes your fancy, everything depends on you and your creative photographic ability to produce a half decent image.

Look forward to seeing what appears in the competition and how the brief is approached.

I've never found any photographic subject easy, when I do I'll pack up. ::)

AJT202

I'm still not 100% sure if i'm doing this right, but I've uploaded my entry to the album, copied the bb code, now I take it I paste the code here on this thread?? :uglystupid2:

It's called Smartie World....

DigiDiva

Quote from: ABERS on October 09, 2013, 05:13:01 PM
Quote from: DigiDiva on October 09, 2013, 01:21:41 PM
I can't believe an easy subject as still life can cause a stir

So, Still Life is easy?  :o

A good still life is about as hard as it gets, you are in control of everything, choice and composition of the subject, the lighting, the background and foreground and the tonal and contrast distribution within the image You're not just running around snapping whatever is laying around or takes your fancy, everything depends on you and your creative photographic ability to produce a half decent image.

Look forward to seeing what appears in the competition and how the brief is approached.

I've never found any photographic subject easy, when I do I'll pack up. ::)

Sorry, I didn't mean the subject matter was easy, I agree what you say about still life and your control. What I meant was the ease of the topic to understand...grrrrr...Im not explaining this well am I?

DigiDiva

kerbside

Quote from: DigiDiva on October 09, 2013, 07:11:28 PM
Yes that's right but it also needs to go in the entries thread.

Chris, I would upload to the entries thread if I could find one. :-\ asked where this was a yesterday I think.

You have to be in to win but winning is not everything, it's participating that counts.
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/kerbside

DigiDiva

Oh god, so sorry..Im in cloud coockoo  land at minute..will sort it now. Sorry guys

Beaux Reflets

A hint of inspiration this morning, so perhaps I will have a go at setting up a little compostion during today  :-\
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.