• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 51
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 42
  • Total: 42
7ds
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Samsung NX10

Started by Malcolm1938, January 07, 2010, 11:49:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcolm1938

FKA CannOffice
Too old to die young
Every day is a good day - if you wake up....

My Gallery

Malcolm1938

I see Park Cameras are taking orders for this now even though they still dont have the full details or any idea on pricing.

Samsung reckon that this type of camera will account for 20% of the market by 2012. To my way of thinking that means they have to get the pricing right because if it's as dear as or dearer than Micro 4/3 it wont stand a chance.
FKA CannOffice
Too old to die young
Every day is a good day - if you wake up....

My Gallery

greypoint

These little cameras are, I suppose, what the switch to digital should throw up. The current DSLR range is largely a case of an SLR which uses digital technology but is otherwise, physically, still in the age of film. However, they all use EVFs and for me that's a no no for any kind of action - unless this one is stunningly better than anything else out there.

picsfor

I'm thinking it will be the bridge market that takes a hit with these type of cameras.

People who wish to move beyond the compact, but not up to the full DSLR. At the moment that market is filled by bridge cameras, but how many times to you read or hear abut some one looking for a bridge that take a different lens?

anglefire

Quote from: greypoint on January 10, 2010, 08:33:37 AM
These little cameras are, I suppose, what the switch to digital should throw up. The current DSLR range is largely a case of an SLR which uses digital technology but is otherwise, physically, still in the age of film. However, they all use EVFs and for me that's a no no for any kind of action - unless this one is stunningly better than anything else out there.

I threw the EVF problem at a friend of mine who is basically an electronics genius, and he reckons that there is no reason why they (EVF's) can't be quick enough to shoot sports. I am yet to be convinced and actually, I prefer the optical viewfinder because, not only is it truly live, but you aren't limited by the number of pixels.

And truth be known, I also don't like small camera's - which is where the current 4/3rd cameras and the NX10 are going - but others do, so there will be a market for them. In fact I went for the 350D rather than the D70 because it was smaller (Amongst other reasons) - but soon realised that it was too small and got the battery grip!

----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Simple

I think you can get used to a smaller camera, but if you want to is a different matter. I like the weight and solidity of my D300+grip. But I had a play the other day with a Ricoh GXR. Now that is a concept I can see a future for, if they substantially lower the price. That howqever will come with time. The idea that the sensor is tailored for the lens is IMO very good. I looked at some very impressive enlargements from that camera.

http://www.geek.com/articles/gadgets/the-ricoh-gxr-is-the-smallest-digital-camera-with-interchangeable-lenses-20091110/

greypoint

The size of camera you prefer does make a difference to what you buy and obviously limits the desirability of some models. No-one really makes the camera I want - the Olympus E-1 came nearest I suppose. I'd love a camera of the build quality, features, speed, shutter etc. of my current D300 in a smaller size. But the concept seems to be - small camera - budget/entry level - light and plastic. Anything in the semi pro feature range is bigger and heavier.

picsfor

Quote from: greypoint on January 10, 2010, 10:14:47 AM
the concept seems to be - small camera - budget/entry level - light and plastic. Anything in the semi pro feature range is bigger and heavier.

whilst true, much of today's pro technology makes tomorrows budget camera.
It does seem to have swapped over from film to digital.
Film cameras were small - so i had to have a power grip attached to my A1's to fit my hand, where as my 5D MkII is a perfect size and weight.
it's a bit like the left handed people having to use right handed stuff!

Nemesis

I'd agree with Sue that we are finally starting to see the logical path of digital system cameras with the Panny and Oly MFT offerings, Samsung's NX, and a different course with Ricoh's GXR.  I detest the 'hybrid' tag that the media have coined for these cameras, there was nothing more hybrid than sticking a CCD sensor in an 35mm SLR body design, not to mention the later varied implementations of live-view and video capture into the same format.

Call me radical, but I do not buy into this mantra that all photographers must aspire to a DLSR, and the manufacturer's, media's and retailer's constant positioning that only DSLRs are 'proper' cameras.  Am I the only person here who has made the conscious decision to discard DSLR in favour of so-called inferior formats?

Specs on this NX10 are vague to non-existent (not least on the lens mount - is there any compatibility with the Samsung/Pentax APS-C format lenses?), but in market terms it may prove telling that in the time that Samsung have been developing and releasing a single camera, Panny and Oly have rolled out 5 MFT offerings (and with additional lenses arriving this year).  We do not know the capabilities of the NX's FEV, but if Samsung have not improved on the resolution and capability offered by Panny in the G1/GH1 (I certainly have no problems in using the LVF on my G1), then they are already behind the game.

It will be interesting to see if any other manufacturer's venture into this format in an effort to lever a market share, I wouldn't be surprised to see Sony enter this arena.

greypoint

For me, the main reason to aspire to a DSLR is simply because -- with the right lens - you don't have the resctrictions of other non DSLR cameras. OK, I've never tried one of these new type cameras but I feel I'd only use one for a percentage of the stuff I like to do - fine for dog portraits, landscape, general purpose but would struggle on trying to capture fast flying birds or fast running agility dogs. Models like the Olympus 400 range show it's possible to build small feature rich cameras without having to do without an optical viewfinder. It has pretty good lightweight lenses too.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.