• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 158
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 103
  • Total: 103
  • Google
aliexpress
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

QOTD 30th October - Image Stabilisation

Started by spikeyjen, October 29, 2013, 08:21:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spikeyjen

Following on from the tripod question, I learned a while ago that I should turn the image stabilisation (vibration reduction) OFF when using a tripod. Then I would find I'd forget to turn it back on when hand holding.

Do you change your IS (VR) setting when using a tripod?

Jediboy

I only have one VR lens, and never put it on a tripod. The ones I do put on the tripod don't have VR.
But if I did put my VR lens on the tripod, then yes, I would turn VR off. Then, as sure as eggs are eggs, I would forget to turn it back on again afterwards!!  :uglystupid2:
May the Force be with you.

Chris

Oldboy

I don't turn off VR even on a tripod. Nikon's VR system senses if the lens is moving then activates VR else, if it's still it's automatically switched off.  :tup:

jinky

That`s not what I`ve read Oldboy. I never switch vr on unless I need it. Some notes here http://www.bythom.com/nikon-vr.htm that sum up what I`d been told nicely.

Oldboy

Quote from: jinky on October 29, 2013, 09:36:43 PM
That`s not what I`ve read Oldboy. I never switch vr on unless I need it. Some notes here http://www.bythom.com/nikon-vr.htm that sum up what I`d been told nicely.

Interesting but I go on personel experience.  ???

hssutton

The later canon lens have what is called tripod detection, All my Canon lenses apart from my 100-400 are of this type, so I never switch off IS. I cannot recall a time when I've used the 100-400 on a tripod

Harry

Graham

Off with the rarely used tripod, on with the often used monopod.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Reinardina

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Hinfrance

My Pentax K5 has IS in body, so all lenses are stabilised. It is automatically turned it off if the timer function or remote release is used. As you would never press the shutter button with the camera on a tripod because there is always the risk of movement, this covers the issue automatically, even for really old manual lenses.

Otherwise it is permanently on (my choice).

My older Pentax bodies have a switch.

Now, sometimes I forget to turn the IS off on these older bodies and can't say I have noticed one jot of difference in the results.

I expect this is because all IS systems work by analysing movement before releasing the shutter, and as the camera shouldn't be moving if it's on a tripod and remote or timer released, there are no corrections to apply.

Interesting article Jinky. Food for thought.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

SimonW

Like Hinfrance, my Pentax K10D has IS which turns of automatically even while the switch is still in the on position, if a remote is in use or a time delay is set. I'm sure Pentax wouldn't make such an arrangement unless they thought it necessary. I've often wondered what the reason is. One theory I've heard is that an IS (or VR) system seeing no movement at all might occasionally try to "hunt" for a change and so actually create a movement.
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Hinfrance

Quote from: SimonW on October 30, 2013, 09:11:16 AM
Like Hinfrance, my Pentax K10D has IS which turns of automatically even while the switch is still in the on position, if a remote is in use or a time delay is set. I'm sure Pentax wouldn't make such an arrangement unless they thought it necessary. I've often wondered what the reason is. One theory I've heard is that an IS (or VR) system seeing no movement at all might occasionally try to "hunt" for a change and so actually create a movement.

Looks like I need to read the manual properly Simon - I've got a K10D too and didn't realise that it turned the IS off in those circumstances. I'm proving myself to be a bit scatty this week, with forgetting to post my picture in the breakfast entries thread.  :uglystupid2:
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

jinky

Quote from: SimonW on October 30, 2013, 09:11:16 AM

I`d heard the same about Nikon VR and certainly saw some evidence when my 16-35 was n a tripod with VR switched on when it did blur. Thought the lens was focusing badly until I realised and re-shot with perfect results (well apart from my input anyway ;))

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.