• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 249
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 161
  • Total: 161
wex
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Down in the big city - a few ideas

Started by jinky, June 07, 2012, 04:32:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jinky

Decided to come down to London for a few days as we had nowhere more exotic planned for June. Got some bargain rail tickets, a laterooms secret deal for a hotel in Maida Vale for 3 nights and looking for ideas of what to do. We arrive on Wed 27th and nip over to Guildford to see my daughter on Sat 30th to spend a night before going home from London again on 1st so have only 2.5 days in the city. In the past we have always ended up at a show, in Covent Garden and round the shops all of which I want to avoid. Not interested in the wheel but we are aiming to take in at least 2 museums. I`m thinking British Museum (that is the one with the great atrium and white circular building in it innit  ;)) and maybe National portrait gallery and trying to get by St Paul`s / Millennium Bridge for the standard photos - anything else people think I should not miss amongst you southern experts down there? Know of any exhibitions I should be persuading my wife are a great idea to get to? Would love to get to Abers` favourite of Speakers Corner but time is against us.

Oldboy

Quote from: jinky on June 07, 2012, 04:32:14 PM
And maybe National portrait gallery.

They have just aquired a new picture which should be up your street!  :-* :legit:

The National Portrait Gallery in London has acquired a portrait painting of what was almost certainly Britain's first famous male transvestite.

Yes, long, long before Grayson Perry, Eddie Izzard and, er, Alex Reid - way back in 1792 in fact - Chevalier d'Eon, an eighteenth-century diplomat who lived in London from 1762-1777 as a man and from 1785-1810 as a woman, was immortalised in paint.

The painting was spotted by London dealer Philip Mould at a sale outside New York last year where it being peddled as a portrait of unknown - and it must be said, slightly butch-looking - woman.

:P

ABERS

Hi Jinky,
Just a suggestion that may tickle your fancy and tick a couple of boxes.

Tube to Westminster. Walk past Houses of Parliament, gardens on left carry on down on the north bank to Tate Britain, about a 3/4 mile see Google Map Tate Britain. Great art museum that will have a Picasso event on,  see

http://www.tate.org.uk/visit/tate-britain/admission-opening-times

Plus the L S Lowry exhibition should be on by then. The coffee is pretty good there as Graham will tell you ???

After the Tate, exit and cross the road to the moorings and catch a boat to the Tate Modern. Great river views and you can wave to people on the bank as though you are celebrating a Jubilee or something.

Arrive at Tate Modern, (worth a look in) where you will find the Millennium Bridge and St Paul's across the river and the surrounding city buildings. Before crossing the river take a short walk downstream where you will find Shakespeare's Globe Theatre.

jinky

Cheers abers - that sounds like a great plan. ;)

nickt

The good thing about staying in Maida Vale is that you've got Warwick Ave. station which will take you straight to the West End or on to The Southbank.
Nick

jinky

Alan- followed your trail to the letter and had a great time. Preferred Tate Britain. Got a discount with my travel card on the boat. Saw St Pauls, Les Miserables and Italian takeover of Eros too after football win and all in 27 degrees. Great day - thanks for tips. oldboy - might see your suggestion today. Nick - tube is great. Kilburn Park nearest stop but 7 pound a day unlimited travel after 9.30 am is easily better value than 5.20 for a bottle of Bombardier bitter in a pub near Chinatown!

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.