• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 239
  • Total: 239
7ds
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Chat – Low Light - Weekly Comp 18th Mar 2013 to 24th Mar 2013

Started by michaelb104, March 17, 2013, 12:24:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

michaelb104

CHAT

This week's topic for the competition is...

Low Light

When I say Low Light I do not necessarily mean heading off in the middle of the night with tripods and remote timers (but if you want to), maybe think about low key photography. So lets see your interpretation of Low Light.

Go on, have some fun!

No restrictions on Post Processing

Pictures to be taken between 00.01am Monday 18th Mar 2013 to 23:59 Sunday 24th Mar 2013.
Pictures to be posted in the entries thread no later than 23.59pm Monday 25th Mar 2013.
Poll will be up Tuesday 26th Mar 2013.
Winner to be announced Saturday 30th March 2013.

The Rules for the weekly competition are...

By entering you agree to take responsibility to
Post a topic on the Sunday following your declared win
Create an entries thread
Create a chat thread
Create a poll for that weeks comp and declare the winner on the Saturday
(if for any reason there is a problem and no subject is posted by the winner by Monday night admin will advise second place winner to post the topic asap, do the poll etc.)

In case of a tie, the first entry posted wins.

Photos to be taken during the specified dates, ie Monday xx to Sunday xx

Pictures to be posted in the entries thread no later than 23.59 Monday night.

Setting the Poll: http://cameracraniums.com/forum/index.php?topic=382.msg37211;topicseen#new
Mike

My Flickr   .   My Fluidr

Reinardina

Having problems with this! So far I have only come up with ideas that will be very difficult, or impossible, to do.
Though the weather is so dull, that any outdoor shot will almost automatically be a 'low light' shot.
Where lies the boundary in a case like this?

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Beaux Reflets

Quote from: Reinardina on March 22, 2013, 04:39:33 PM
Having problems with this! So far I have only come up with ideas that will be very difficult, or impossible, to do.
Though the weather is so dull, that any outdoor shot will almost automatically be a 'low light' shot.
Where lies the boundary in a case like this?

I do not think there are any boundaries as such Reinardina, I think its more about having a bash and learning what can be achieved photographing in low light situations  :tup:  Remembering that higher ISO generaly brings higher levels in digital noise (good for grainy gritty shots) while longer shutter speeds may afford the use of a much lower ISO, etc..

Must start playing with an idea or two myself as the week is vanishing  ;)
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Reinardina

Thanks Andy. I am normally in favour of high ISO shots, as it means I don't have to get the tripod out, but I'll see what I can do with a longish exposure and the camera pressed against the window. Or something similar.

Time is flying indeed!

Reinardina

High ISO shot. So far the only one that looks like something.

It's the view from my 'office' through a slightly steamed up window. Must say, I quite like the colours.

Reinardina

Decided to stick to my guns, and go with my (almost) original shot.
Very literally 'low light' as I shot this from a fourth floor window!
I did tart it up a bit, but not too much. So I'm in with:

Pools of light. (Street Lights and their Reflections. )

Beaux Reflets

I thought I may have to do a studio shot with a candle or two, then Nature played her tune with a glorious low cloud sunset that bathed the wet road in rich golden light :)

Reinardina

Quote from: Beaux Reflets on March 23, 2013, 09:06:02 PM
I thought I may have to do a studio shot with a candle or two, then Nature played her tune with a glorious low cloud sunset that bathed the wet road in rich golden light :)

Haven't seen that for ages!

I actually played a bit with a tea light last night; only a few shots as it was getting on to 'wine time.'  Haven't seen them yet, so I don't know if I'll change my entry.
This one has been very difficult, as circumstances and time were not on my side.

Beaux Reflets

Quote from: Reinardina on March 24, 2013, 07:45:46 AM
Quote from: Beaux Reflets on March 23, 2013, 09:06:02 PM

Haven't seen that for ages!

I actually played a bit with a tea light last night; only a few shots as it was getting on to 'wine time.'  Haven't seen them yet, so I don't know if I'll change my entry.
This one has been very difficult, as circumstances and time were not on my side.

I was lucky not to miss it. By chance I glanced out of the window, the rain had stopped and the clouds were acting as a massive reflector; that set me racing for the camera  ;D

Reinardina

This ain't my week, as far as the competition is concerned. I decided to replace my 'desperate' shot, with a 'deliberate' shot.

Called it candle light, but it is actually a tea light in a glass holder. Tried several things but nothing seemed to work out properly!

So here's my 'Candle Light.'

michaelb104

Didn't think I would manage to get an entry this week, it got to 7:00 last night and I hadn't even taken my camera out of the bag, it was a quick jump into the car with camera and tripod to see what I could find - ended up with this:

Mike

My Flickr   .   My Fluidr

jinky

Had to rush out after dinner and grab a waterfront shot to keep up my promise to myself to get regular entries in. Of course if I had checked my tripod was in  the boot as usual it would have helped so this one was hand held on a very wobbly footbriodge, waiting for people to stop crossing.

oggalily

Hi everyone.  I've not done much photography recently, having had a crummy start to the year, and thought it was time to try to get back into the groove. 

This was a fairly simple setup with two flashes on TTL, one in front and more or less directly above through a brolly, the other from directly behind through a grid to give a little bit of outline.   My 11-year-old son took the shot so I suppose he deserves some credit too.  ;)

Hinfrance

Nothing from me this week, just ran out of time and opportunity. The weather has been so good (stop throwing snowballs at me) that I've been in the 'garden' most of the week hoping that that spring has finally sprung.

Good to see you back at it Ogga - sorry to hear about the bad kick off to 2013.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Reinardina

Is using your son as a remote trigger, not child abuse?
Welcome back Ogga.

I've heard it mentioned three times today: apparently we're due a heatwave very soon!

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.